Home

What's the deal with Fester?(More Spam!)

Reaper Girl

I believe he was LeChuck all along, not a skin. LeChuck just created him to be able to watch over the island and see if anything was going the wrong way... But I really don't know.

Hmmm..... :\

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!

I'm not sure either way myself. LeChuck tells his right-hand guy that he is going to go to Melee Island and take care of him personally, so you'd assume the skin was created for exactly that purpose.

However, Otis says that the new sheriff had locked him up for picking flowers, meaning that LeChuck must have been around as the sheriff before Guybrush arrived onto the scene. I think it's Elaine or someone who also says that the original sheriff disappeared under "mysterious circumstances".

Hmm. Now lets think about this. Before you do anything, you go the the SCUMM bar and talk to the important looking pirates about the three trials. when you leave, we see the cutscene with lechuck and at the end he says he'll take care of guybrush, which is when i think he gets the skin, kills the old sherrif and takes his place. He arrests Otis because he's a git (Lechuck, not Otis, although...) and then we meet him. all this happens in a ridiculously short amount of time, but this is Monkey Island, where yaks are found in want of a goo manacurist and vending machines are around without any source of electricity, so I think we can let this go. :D

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

Hmm. Now lets think about this... but this is Monkey Island, where yaks are found in want of a goo manacurist and vending machines are around without any source of electricity, so I think we can let this go. :D

I agree. I forgot about the yak...

Otis does say to Guybrush that he's been in jail so long he's forgotten his name. This implies that he has been in jail for a long time, and since he also claims that Fester locked him up - well you see my point.

It's kind of a plot hole that... either that or Otis is exaggerating. I believe the look-out states that Fester is fairly new. It's been a while since I played MI1, so maybe somebody else can confirm if I'm right or not.

I think the lookout tells you he was hand picked by Shinetop, and with him being blind and obviously incapable of the job, that seems to suggest LeChuck was imposing as Shinetop before Guybrush arrives, though it can't have been for long, as everyone says he's new.

It does seem to contradict a little with the cut scene after you leave the scumm bar, as obviously you've already met the lookout, but maybe not neccessarily - Lechuck is constantly sailing between the two islands, which means he can only make on/off appearances as Shinetop, and it was just during an off period while at monkey island when Guybrush arrived?

Or yeah, could just be a plot hole!

But yeah, either way, I think Shinetop is just a skin!

There's actually only one possible way to explain it: LeChuck has been Fester all the time. The original purpose for that was to overview Elaine (as we all know LeChuck loves her). The fact that Guybrush appeared has nothing to do with it. LeChuck probably just said he would take care of him because he was about to visit Melee Island either way. The idea that he did all this just to kill Guybrush seems stupid as LeChuck doesn't know that Guybrush will become his biggest enemy at this point and I don't think LeChuck and his crew want to kill every single pirate wanna-be in existence....because that would be a full time shop.

About Otis:

On the one hand he says that the new sheriff jailed him, on the other hand he cannot remember how long he has been in prison (which probably means he's been there for quite a while). This only makes sense if you consider "new" as "new back when he jailed Otis"....which, of course, could have happened ages ago.

Well we do see Fester and Guybrush arguing in a back alley, and Fester (LeChuck) sees Guybrush snooping around the Governor's Mansion at a time in which he is about to put his plan into action and take her. Now he wouldn't want any witnesses of this or anyone meddling in the plan would he?

Originally posted by Bushmeister

Well we do see Fester and Guybrush arguing in a back alley, and Fester (LeChuck) sees Guybrush snooping around the Governor's Mansion at a time in which he is about to put his plan into action and take her. Now he wouldn't want any witnesses of this or anyone meddling in the plan would he?

All that happens after LeChuck decides to take care of Guybrush though.

I think maybe they all know something they're not telling us. Maybe that's it.

As for why LeChuck would think Guybrush was a problem...I've no idea. Maybe because Mêlée hasn't seen any new wanna-be pirates lately (what with LeChuck having everyone scared stiff), and LeChuck knows it, he figures that anybody stupid/stubborn enough to try to become a pirate may be a threat to both him and his plans.

Either that or he was reading up on the Evil Overlords list and noticed that folks like that usually turn out to be the hero. ;)

I dunno, before SMI, can anyone name any other famouse idiots who turned out to be heros?

I liked Juniors explanation, as it actually makes sense.

And why was LeChuck worried about guybrush? Because lechucks doesn't want anyone, or anythingt too big or too small to get in the way of his plans, and with guybrush being something new which he hadn't planned on, he wanted to see if he was a threat. remember, before geting to melee and meetin guybrush, he didn't know anything about him so he could have thought of him as a threat.

Archived