Home

Rag Doll

Mauler Mithel

Ragdoll physics allow an object (body) to roll and move just like it would in real life, for example; rolling down the stairs when you're dead.

A ragdoll sceleton allows realistic bending etc of a skeleton and allows it to take different poses, but tha doesn't mean it will automaticly fall of the stairs like it's supposed to!

But... I'm not a technician or anything and I don't know if this is true, but I think I'm on the right track here :) Can someone confirm this??

I don't think developers would bother with such a wordplay. I guess "ragdoll effect" is a term that means physically driven character's behavior in place of death animation. If it's not the physics that animates the limp body then what does make it fall. Hmm, pre-designed animation :p? I don't think that "ragdoll skeletal system" means that the death animations are just limited by level geometry, 'cause even if it'd work (in SoF2 it dind't to well ;)) it doesn't seem like ragdoll anyway. And I don't imagine ragdoll system being non-skeletal, as it's job is to animate the character skeleton ;). It's just my point of view, maybe I'm getting all wrong, but still, in my opinion anything different than physically-driven ragdoll effect isn't ragdollish at all ;).

In early builds of the game we've seen in movies/screenshots there is no trace of ragdoll (at least I did't spot one), but i hope it'll make it to the final game.

Excuse my English :).

Implementing a ragdoll physics engine into the Q3 engine is surely possible but not trivial, and I'm willing to bet it didn't happen for JA. However I can easily deal with the death animations (thought they were pretty cool in JKII), especialy if they did implement a ragdoll skeletal system so that damage is appropriately partitioned ...

Mike

Archived