Home

BrokenSword/Runaway look for next MI?

HelloBunny

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this board but I'm a long time Monkey Island fan... First played MI2 when I was 12, way back in 1992... I don't have a computer at present (just graduated from college, so not enough $$$ yet) so I haven't had the opportunity to play MI4, though I did get to play MI3... It was a fun game, much better than any of the krap they have these days in the games section... But it just wasn't vintage MI, you know what I mean? Anyway, I'm just glad they are keeping the series alive anyway they can, providing us with more hours of quality adventure gaming with our favorite buccanneer...

On the topic of MI5, I just saw some screenshots for Broken Sword and Runaway... Two recent Graphic Adventures... I have to say this is the way to go regarding the next installment of the MI series... Gorgeous graphics and probably great sound too, but still preserving that feelgood ambience... No 3D setting, no first-person perspective, no live footage incorporated, etc... Just a good ol' 3rd person perspective with slightly cartoonish but still serious graphics... I have to say the exaggerated cartoonish looks of MI3 didn't really go down with me too well... I haven't played MI4 yet, but I get the impression that most were put off by the whole 3D thing... Well, I think the Broken Sword/Runaway look is a great middle ground... It's not too "old fashioned" to keep the new gamers away, and it's not too juiced up and flashy to disappoint the old folks like me...

And of course I'd like to see the peachfuzz Guybrush from MI2 in MI5 again... Not too whimpy looking, but not yet scary enough to be a pirate! :)

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by HelloBunny

......I just saw some screenshots for Broken Sword and Runaway... Two recent Graphic Adventures... I have to say this is the way to go regarding the next installment of the MI series...

I totally agree with you..., the "Runaway" look in the next MI game would be great..., but u know what would be better???? CEL SHADING!!!!! ;)

Nah Anonomous.. Grim Fandango uses the engine well but it kind of sucks in Monkey Island. If they DO use 3d they need to come up with a totally different way of going about it - point and click 3d would be nice, as another recent post explored.

I agree with u now Thrik :)

I was playing Grim Fandango for the first time in ages yesterday and i just realised how the engine was pretty much made for that game to make it work well, and keep the user involved constantly...

With EMI there is just not enough user interactivity and the engine definately doesnt work as well...

Although it does kinda work, but just not as well as in GF... Oh well :)

Archived