Home

Major TLJ technical problems

EDIT: WARNING: Possibly minor (minor, minor) spoilers here. I'm talking miniscule. You've probably all played this game anyway though.

Hi all. I started playing TLJ some time ago, and due to limiting events far too numerous to mention, I am still only in Chapter 3. One of the biggest problems I've faced is a veritable onslaught of technical problems that seem determined not to let me enjoy this game. I am running Windows 2000 (and, yes, I'm fully aware that the game was designed for 95/98--the installer tells me so every time I've installed. And before you ask, yes, I have reinstalled many, many times.). Sometimes the game just crashes in completely random spots. But not only does the game crash, it takes my whole PC down with it, and the whole thing just instantly reboots. When I get everything up and running again and load my save file (which hopefully isn't too far back), the game won't necessarily crash in the same spot, but rather somewhere completely different. There are no patterns whatsoever. Furthermore, sometimes when I attempt to start the game, I get errors that some memory is missing. It recommended in the readme (I think, or maybe the FAQ) that if something like this happens to just reinstall. Well, I've done that probably almost a dozen times now. Sometimes I have to reinstall multiple times before the game will let me start. Again, there is no patter that I can see. Totally random. In fact, as I write this, I am reinstalling the game for the third time this evening. I have snuck my way into the police stations more times than I care to count at this point. On to the next problem! Sometimes unchecking "use 3d acceleration" from the preliminary game menu will allow me to start the game and will result in me not getting an error message. However, doing it this way generally results in the game loading up in a tiny little pseudo-window in the upper-left of my screen (though it's not actually a window, it's just the game running really small). After the Funcom logo thing ends, the game returns fully to Windows and when I try to restore it, it just minimizes itself again and I have no choice but to ctrl-alt-delete and end the task.

This is driving me crazy, as I'm sure you can imagine. I bought this game quite literally four months ago and in that amount of time, where am I? I'm at the bloody police station. I could have played this much in a day or two if I hadn't had any of these problems. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Funcom's website isn't very helpful and their one patch doesn't apply to my situation at all.

Please help! :(

EDIT: Well, now I can't start the game at all. I've hit a new record for number of reinstalls in one evening. Generally I can at least play for half an hour or so after a reinstall, but it looks like it's gone. I need some serious help.

The game for me crashed when I approached the police station, but you don't realy need to go in front of the police station to solve the puzzle. Actually, the first time I played the game, I entered the police station roundaboutly without knowing that the entrance was blocked. I had one more problem with the game and that was at the end, a movie file would not play.

Twifkak: I am running an Intel Pentium 4 Mobile, 1.8GHz. It's "Mobile" because this is a laptop. That has always worried me because all my hardware drivers must be downloaded directly from Toshiba rather than from the hardware manufactueres; I don't know if this causes compatability issues, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Kingz: Yes, I have heard of this problem, but unfortunately that is not what is wrong with my game. I have successfully entered the police station four times so far, doing it each of both ways at least once. The game has crashed in many other places, and when it crashes near the police station it's no different from anywhere else.

Thank you both for your replies, though.

Have you installed the police station patch from the official site? I didn't see in your explanation of the problem that you had, and that's the only thing I can think of at this point, since I don't run Windows 2000. Since your game is crashing in several places, the patch might not be the panacea you're looking for, but who knows? I hope this helps--or, if it doesn't, that the problem magically solves itself at some point. Good luck!

I don't think I can be very helpfull for you either... my only experience is that the game crashed quite often at random places with almost all my friends who played TLJ... and the only difference between them and me was that I ran Win98 and they Win98SE... One of them installed Win98 if I remeber correctly and had no problems at all anymore... so it might also be a software conflict... :rolleyes:

Archived