Home

Otis and Carla

mr.durandpierre

I recently started playing MI4 and was very confused by Otis and Carla's conversation about being stranded on MI, 'cuz I just played through MI 1 again recently and the crew sails back with you (they need more sunscreen). Was there an alternate ending to the first game that I missed where you leave without them? And if so, how does one achieve that ending?

Yes, SoMI has an alternate ending. I'll describe how it happens and the consequences below, but don't read if you want to find yourself...

(SPOILERS BELOW)

You can use the rock catapult (on the cliff facing South above the river) to sink your own boat. In that case, when you get back to LeChuck's anchoring spot and meet Bob, who tells you about the wedding, the crew don't turn up. Instead Herman arrives and tells you that you can go to Melée on HIS boat. There are various things you can ask him, like if he has a boat, why is he stranded, or how did he get there without the head.

But you then set off to Melée and the game continues as usual, except at the end, instead of seeing Herman wondering where you are, on the beach, you'll see the crew stuck in the cannibal hut on Monkey Island.

EfMI assumes that you sunk the crew...it's a bit clumsy, I'm not sure the designers even knew about the ending that you played through.

I would think the EMI designers would know about the alternate ending, seeing how Sean Clark worked on the CD-ROM version of MI1. Besides, most people did actually sink the ship (gloriously illustrated by Benny) so for the most part it wasn't a bad way to re-introduce Carla and Otis.

The first time I beat MI1 i did not sink the ship. I just hit the banana tree. I did find out about the other ending not long after but I thought that the first ending worked well with MI2, when Herman was on Dinky Island. I suppose he could have gotten there on his own, but I just kinda assumed.

EMI seemed to mix both endings, because the crew was stuck on Monkey and had to escape, yet Herman was still there. I suppose he could have gotten BACK there somehow, but when he tallks about the whole Ozzie situation, it just screws everything up.

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

EMI seemed to mix both endings, because the crew was stuck on Monkey and had to escape, yet Herman was still there. I suppose he could have gotten BACK there somehow, but when he tallks about the whole Ozzie situation, it just screws everything up.

Now that's a whole other barrel of fish bait. But yeah, EMI did kinda mix it up a bit.

I remember I left with the crew the first time I played SOMI and then Herman soon after, the Herman one was always better for me after that.

Benny, didn't you once ever think that you might be able to get the bananas without hitting the boat, or didn't you play it enough times to notice that?

It was nothing to do with the bananas it was the fun of sinking the boat. I've played it loads of times, on various platforms but since i've always hit the ship I never considered what happens when you dont hit the ship, I just assumed Herman turned up anyway.

Archived