Home

Official Demo Thread (No others, please - Jed) *SPOILERS*

mariners2001

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've finished the demo with the staff saber and I must say, it's AWESOME! Although doesn't feel very different from JK:O... If I hadn't played JK:O, I would consider bying this, but as it stands right now, JA isnt different enough to spend 50 bucks on it.

Also, I think the saber twirl is kinda overpowered. It works every time on the cultists, taking the challenge out of fighting them. If the twirl is not toned down, I expect it to be whored a lot when the game comes out...:deathstar

If I hadn't played JK:O, I would consider bying this, but as it stands right now, JA isnt different enough to spend 50 bucks on it.

Also, I think the saber twirl is kinda overpowered. It works every time on the cultists, taking the challenge out of fighting them. If the twirl is not toned down, I expect it to be whored a lot when the game comes out...

Wait, you're telling me you're going to pass up the chance to assault the base on Hoth whilst riding Speeder Bikes, Taun Tauns, and ATST's and using jetpacks with Rebels Vs. Imperials because it "isn't different enough"?

LoL!

Okay, sorry. ; )

As to "whoring" a move, who's to say that human players are going to fall for it as often as the AI characters, even assuming it's exactly the same in MP?

Originally posted by Prshgshl

Also, I think the saber twirl is kinda overpowered. It works every time on the cultists, taking the challenge out of fighting them. If the twirl is not toned down, I expect it to be whored a lot when the game comes out...:deathstar

You might try going higher than "Padwan" difficulty...Because unless you are VERY lucky EVERY TIME, then Twirl will not work you well on the cultists. There will likely be a penatly to MP of some kind, a delay or a Force cost perhaps, that leaves you vulnerable.

Ive heard lots on here about how random dual sabers is and how people we kinda disappointed with it especially after playing with the awesome double bladed saber . I agree that upon my first attempt it looked basically totally random (the furious and somewhat disjointed animations dont help with the illusion of strategy either ) , however when i thought about it more, making attacks with 2 sabers one in each hand and haveing full control over both sabers is impossible with a mouse and keyboard , so instead of making a big deal about some of the seemingly random movements of my character i tried to learn how the off hand saber reacts to each movement according to ravens design. In my personal opnion after having gotten something of a feel for it is that that did a pretty good job with it , and it very well be my favorite style when going against 2 jedi . I dragged on a bit there but the point was to try and over look some of its seeming randomness and give it another shot.

The game is unbeliebable, even better than i thought.

All kind of sabers are balanced, i fought those evil jedis in the hardest level (jedi master i guess) and i killed them all using the single saber with no much trouble.

They are also so stupid, you can do the grip push thing and kill them easily. Or just push them when they jump to you from a plataform or something.

The demo isnt hard at all.

What is hard is making some moves, like the dfa.

The force powers ruLLLLLLLLe, drainNING litle soldiers is incredibly fun, its like mortal kombat when that guy sucked his soul. And protect and absorb look great too, same as the atack katas :D

and omfg using the saber staff makes you look amazing, spining around (best move, c + w + atack) ;)

You know what sux in the demo? Chewbaca (however it is spelled)

Its so friging stttupid, the only damage i get is from his wookie blasts. I ended up making him pay real bad.

There are a lot of very cool stuf in the game.

By the way can anybody tell me hot to sit down, or taunt?

Hey, just went through the demo with dual sabers. The SW feeling is definitely there and so much fun... but of course I have grievances :

-The tentacles (lekku) of the twilek that go right into the wall in the intro sequence in mos elsey... as well as the saber staff sometimes... too bad

-I honestly don't think saber combat has been improved... I found this just as random as before. I must say I can't see how a sword combat, with all the complexity it bears, can be nicely rendered in a game, though.

-How do you break force grips or drains ? Push/pull didn't seem to work...

-Why can the dark jedi block my "pushes" (wanna throw them in some big hole) while I can't... I hate this kind of "computer cheating"

-I see absorption protect me, but does it really replenish the force level ?

-Some moves are very hard to get

-How do you do this : I got saber-locked with my dual sabers, and while maintaing the lock with 1 saber, I sent the other one flying in an arc and cut the guy in two.... that was the coolest moment ever... totally don't know how...

Well, let's go back playing with the satff now.

ebelleudy

1.) I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread (because right now I don't want to read it all -.-) or if it's the right thread.

Well, 2.) I think that some of the coolest moves in there (e.g. that spinning-kicking-stabbing-thing with the staff) are kind of useless (in SP! What will they be good for in MP?).

You don't hit a thing, but your enemy can easily strike you (as far as I have experienced it).

This moves moight be good for a 'styl0r' duel, but not for normal ffa, ctf etc...

Anybody?

no Ask, i wasnt trying to edit the demo pk3. i was trying to edit the files and put them in pk3s so they would change the game, but every time i ran the demo, it would say "Pak 234252323 (some number) corrupted."

Precisely, as I've said, you can't make the demo run with changed files, because a) it does not load extra pk3 files / files outside the main pk3 and b) it checks for the CRC of the main pk3, so as to prevent you from modifying it

Also, this may spark some interest in you

g_SaberNewControlScheme - default is "0"

When I enabled it, I could not execute the special moves anymore, perhaps because the way of executing them has changed.

If you do enable it, a map_restart is mandatory.

also

cvar called 'name', containing the name of your hero. Pretty useless, but can be fun to change.

and

g_saberrestrictforce - some explanation on that one: in demo it's useless (as far as I can tell), but in full game, you can make a saber to restrict force power usage (as per the .sab files in the pk3), and this probably toggles it on and off.

I heard that typing g_saberrealisticcombat 9 can enable dismemberment. However, I've noticed no difference between 0, 1, and 9!

All I can sever are enemie's left or right hands or arms. On one, ONE occassion, I removed a guy's lower leg. Never happened again, though.

Fun things to do with weaponless people! (Works best on force using cultists with no weapon and/or mercs that's been snatched away their weapon)

Run up to people and activate force speed, and PUNCH them like crazy. With force speed on you can execute the Agent Smith Smackdown Super Punch . It looks so hilarious. When they die and start to fall down keep punching and use force push at the end, right before their body falls limp. It looks like you punched him super-fast to death and your last punch sent him flying away!!!

As Neo would say,

"Whoa."

I noticed you can "twirl" (using the mouse) during any special move (except for the stabs).

If you switch to one saber for Medium (Saberstaff) or Fast (Dual Sabers) you do NOT get the special moves of that stance (so no Yellow DFA and no Blue Lunge and you can't do the "Force Pull Stab" moves in either stance).

The "two handed lightning" move works if you have fists selected or your saber blades turned off... VERY COOL!

Run up to people and activate force speed, and PUNCH them like crazy. With force speed on you can execute the Agent Smith Smackdown Super Punch . It looks so hilarious. When they die and start to fall down keep punching and use force push at the end, right before their body falls limp. It looks like you punched him super-fast to death and your last punch sent him flying away!!!

As Neo would say,

"Whoa."

That worked in JK2 and was very cool there, but I can't seem to get it to work in JA. Any pointers?

ebelleudy:

-I honestly don't think saber combat has been improved... I found this just as random as before. I must say I can't see how a sword combat, with all the complexity it bears, can be nicely rendered in a game, though.

Have you checked out the "Bushido Blade" games for the PSX? Those IMHO are the best sword fighting combat games I've ever seen, next to JA.

-How do you break force grips or drains ? Push/pull didn't seem to work...

Push should do it. Perhaps you don't have a high enough level of Push to do so?

-Why can the dark jedi block my "pushes" (wanna throw them in some big hole) while I can't... I hate this kind of "computer cheating"

The way it worked in JK2 was that Pull countered Push and Push countered Pull. But your force level had to be higher or match. So if they used Level 3 Pull on you, you had to have Level 3 Push to "block" it, and vice versa. If you had Level 1 Pull and they use Level 2 Push, you will not be able to block it. Also if you are out of mana, you cannot block it, or if you are not facing them.

That is how I *thought* it worked in JA as well, I guess I could be wrong.

Also, in JK2, Absorb would completely counter Push and Pull (unless in some cases if they had like Level 3 and you had only Level 1 absorb). I would suggest trying this as well.

-I see absorption protect me, but does it really replenish the force level ?

Absorb (blue) protects you from Force Attacks. If the attack is a Darkside power, then it should give you mana back when it is absorbed (Grip, Lightning, Drain). Unless they changed it in JA...

-Some moves are very hard to get

Just takes practice. I actually found most of the moves simply through trying various move combinations (crouch, roll, strafe, strafe run, jump, etc) with the attack button.

-How do you do this : I got saber-locked with my dual sabers, and while maintaing the lock with 1 saber, I sent the other one flying in an arc and cut the guy in two.... that was the coolest moment ever... totally don't know how...

Hmm, did you hit secondary fire by chance? Or maybe you hit secondary fire and primary fire at the same time (which would normally do the "spinning saber shield" move). Very cool!

I think if you hold a direction and win a saber lock you'll do something cool as a finish.

I only know the dual saber ones. I think left/right throws one saber to hit the guy in the back/side. If you hold back, you'll use one saber to raise the enemies saber and the other to stab him. If you hold forward, you knock the saber out of his and and do a scissor move to his neck.

I might be wrong about the directions, but I think that's correct.

Leo Soontar, the reason everyone calls it "mana" is because that's what the JK1 team called it, IIRC. ; )

Btw guys, here is a link to a page with the JK2 console commands & cheats (many of them work in JA as well):

http://www.gamewinners.com/DOSWIN/blstarwarsjedioutcast.htm

Just ignore the "amXXX" commands, the people who made that page forgot that those only work in JediMod. ; p

Archived