Home

Official Demo Thread (No others, please - Jed) *SPOILERS*

mariners2001

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first impressions after playing the Jedi Academy demo:

-Much more demanding of the hardware. The only way I can get a decent framerate with a 2.4GHz P4\1024MB DDR-RAM\GeForce 4 Ti 4400\Audigy is to use the fastest (lowest quality) video settings, turn off wall marks, use simple shadows, low sound quality, EAX off. I may fiddle around with some of the other video options but I don't think I can get much more. And no way am I going to spend the $400+ it would take to get a significantly better graphics card. It's a shame to have all those beautiful graphics if it drops your framerate into the 20s and 30s. I think people with older hardware are going to be disappointed with their low framerate.

-It's going to take awhile to learn all the new moves. There are so many new moves I may have to play the single player game all the way through three times, once with 1 saber, once with dual sabers, and once with 2-handed saber to learn them all, and then I will have forgotten the first ones I learned. Then I'll probably get confused during multiplayer. I feel sorry for the players who still say "How do you do that flip attack?" when they see a Yellow-style special in JK2, they are going to be overwhelmed. But it is going to be cool to watch players who have mastered all those moves play multiplayer.

-The enemies in the demo are really stupid. I use the Force Sense (Seeing) to spot the enemies far away in the big Chandrila Jedi Knight Tomb map, then the scope on the Tenloss disruptor rifle like a telescope to see what kind of enemy they are. If they are a simple cult member with a gun, I don't even waste a sniper shot on them, I just use the alternate pistol fire to snipe them, and they just stand there (well, sometimes they use the E 11 to send some inaccurate shots my way) while I shoot them until they die. How lame. The enemies with lightsabers are also stupid. I just wait until they leap into the air, then I Push them to their doom. All too easy. The enemies with lightsabers also frequently use Dark Rage. When I hear them activate it, I just stay out of range until the Rage is over, then they are easy to kill. *yawn*

-Love the Concussion rifle.

-I hate that they used the same actor who did Kyle's voice to do some of the bad guys' voices as well. When a bad guy confronts me, it sounds like Kyle with a bad cold asking me what I'm doing, and it ruins the whole effect. How cheap could they be, they couldn't hire some other under-employed actors to do some of the voices?

-The walking animation isn't as good as JK2. I don't know about about the human males or aliens, but when my human female character walks (not runs) with a lightsaber drawn, it just doesn't look as good as JK2. When walking with a lightsaber drawn in JK2, you have this cool kind of badass strut. In Jedi Academy you kind of make these mincing little steps and it's just not as smooth or realistic or cool. It's a little thing, granted, but why is it worse-looking than JK2?

-Half-Life 2 comes out a couple of weeks after Jedi Academy.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

-The walking animation isn't as good as JK2.

It's more realistic. In JK2, you'd walk with your saber down, charring the floor and lowering your defenses needlessly.

JA is much, much better in this regard.

-Half-Life 2 comes out a couple of weeks after Jedi Academy.

No it doesn't. Try Christmas instead.

Or 2004.

Originally posted by RonO

Anyone found a way to active first-person sabres? I won't play a game in third-person.

Then you will want to pass on getting Jedi Academy.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

-Much more demanding of the hardware. The only way I can get a decent framerate with a 2.4GHz P4\1024MB DDR-RAM\GeForce 4 Ti 4400\Audigy is to use the fastest (lowest quality) video settings, turn off wall marks, use simple shadows, low sound quality, EAX off. I may fiddle around with some of the other video options but I don't think I can get much more. And no way am I going to spend the $400+ it would take to get a significantly better graphics card. It's a shame to have all those beautiful graphics if it drops your framerate into the 20s and 30s. I think people with older hardware are going to be disappointed with their low framerate.

There is something seriously wrong with your machine. The requirements for Jedi Academy are actually not much more than Jedi Outcast. Here are the official requirements for both:

Jedi Outcast

Minimum System Requirements:

Pentium II 350 MHz CPU, 64mb RAM, 16mb 3d card, DirectX compatible Soundcard

Recommended System Requirements:

Pentium III or Athlon 500MHz CPU, 128mb RAM, 32mb 3d card

Jedi Academy

Official requierements : PIII or AMD Athlon 600 mhz recommanded. (700 mhz recommanded for multiplayer)

Ram 128 MB minimum, 256 recommanded.

Video card : 3D accelerated, 32 mb, open gl 1.4 compatible requiered.

Comp must be using latest direct X ( 9.0a), available on Game CD.

1.3 gb Hard disk space requiered (+ 200 mb for system swap file).

As you can see, your system has above and beyond (several times over) what should be required. I am running a 1.7GHz P4, GeForce 2 32Meg, 256 meg RAM machine, and I have everything maxed out to the highest level and it runs as smooth as silk.

Somethings wrong with your comp if thats what it takes to keep your frames up, with a inferior comp i never go below 60 with everything up sept Dynamic Glow everything else is high as it can be saber glow nocks it down into the 30s , which doesnt actually bother me that much in single player

Originally posted by Prime

Then you will want to pass on getting Jedi Academy.

There is something seriously wrong with your machine. The requirements for Jedi Academy are actually not much more than Jedi Outcast. Here are the official requirements for both:

Jedi Outcast

Minimum System Requirements:

Pentium II 350 MHz CPU, 64mb RAM, 16mb 3d card, DirectX compatible Soundcard

Recommended System Requirements:

Pentium III or Athlon 500MHz CPU, 128mb RAM, 32mb 3d card

Jedi Academy

Official requierements : PIII or AMD Athlon 600 mhz recommanded. (700 mhz recommanded for multiplayer)

Ram 128 MB minimum, 256 recommanded.

Video card : 3D accelerated, 32 mb, open gl 1.4 compatible requiered.

Comp must be using latest direct X ( 9.0a), available on Game CD.

1.3 gb Hard disk space requiered (+ 200 mb for system swap file).

As you can see, your system has above and beyond (several times over) what should be required. I am running a 1.7GHz P4, GeForce 2 32Meg, 256 meg RAM machine, and I have everything maxed out to the highest level and it runs as smooth as silk.

OK, I did some experimenting with the More Video options, using /set cg_DrawFPS 1 to see my framerate as I varied the settings. The two framerate killers are Dynamic Glow: ON and Shadows: VOLUMETRIC. With Video Mode 1024x768, default color depth and texture quality, geometric and texture detail: HIGH, TRILINEAR Texture Filter, Anisotrophic Filter maxed out, Dynamic Lights ON, Light Flares ON, and Wallmarks ON, I get FPS in the 70s with Shadows: SIMPLE and Dynamic Glow: OFF. With either Shadows: VOLUMETRIC or Dynamic Glow: ON, the framerate is cut roughly in half, in the mid-30s. So its Shadows: SIMPLE and Dynamic Glow: OFF for me!

I have to agree that the walking animations look odd in this game. And I'm talking all around, not just with the saber out. There's something about it that seems inorganic. It's jerky almost to the point of looking painful. I also agree that walking with the saber out looks silly, as though the character is grasping it close like a fluffy teddy-bear. Someone said that it is better than the JO counterpart because one does not "lower your defenses." No offense, but fighting of any kind is nine parts mental, one part physical. Just because you have your sword down does not mean you are careless. To quote Sun Tzu, "the language of war is deciet."

Besides, it doesn't look as cool, and in a Star Wars game that's all that really matters.

Other than that though, I love what I see so far. If could articulate into words the brutality of the long-jump + attack at close range I would but it defies description. I also find that adding a backflip to any normal attack with the dual sabers mid-swing usually ends in shorn body-parts.

Originally posted by Kurgan

I tried out the location based damage today, and it works!

A fully charged BlasTech shot to the head kills a Human Merc instantly (and his body goes flying!). No more wasting ammo on these guys!

=)

Works on the force-only cultists too. Hahaha...;)

I don't think there all equal, you have to watch what your doing with the staff and duel, single sabers fast stance is the best, pretty much blocks everything, but with the staff and duel lightsabers they are a medium stance so some shots are going get through but not many.

Archived