Home

MI Movie scenarios - limited by POTC and POTC2?

spaceship789

Its rumoured that the sequel to Pirates Of The Carribean will take place in New Orleans.

http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/showthread/t-18957.html

..which is probably fitting since POTC is situated in NewOrleans Square in Disneyland.

However, I wonder if in the sequel they'll leave alone any decent Monkey Island ideas that will make a Monkey Island movie seem atleast partially original.

It seems like now, any movie about a zombie pirate who steals away the sweetheart of the hero (a wannabe pirate) will be interpreted, by the masses, as copying POTC.

Wonder if the same thing will be said about voodoo dolls, and swamp dwelling voodoo ladies after POTC2...

I doubt there will ever be a Monkey Island Movie, the whole idea seems quite ridiculouse.

But yeah, I agree with Remi, even though deep impact and armegeddon were hellishly similar and released at around the same time, people saw it without a thought at the time.

Then again, one was a huge success whilst the other lays down in the pits of the B-movie status, and POTC is already a hit. But this is the season for pirate movies, POTC has revived the pirate genre quite well so it's at least a possibility. Just a very low one.

Nice shameless plug there, Neil. ;)

Anyway...I don't think there's much of a chance for an MI movie, at least not in the next two or so years. If LucasFilms or whoever were to announce to the public, tomorrow, "hey, we're making a movie based on The Secret of Monkey Island! [insert plot here]" the press would probably say, "Uh, is this PotC2?"

Following up on the insane success of PotC, I think, would just look like somebody trying to cash in on the same plot.

And by the way, what the heck is there of interest in New Orleans for a sequel to PotC? :confused:

And by the way, what the heck is there of interest in New Orleans for a sequel to PotC?

Here are are a few possibilities:

They could have found carribean shooting to be problematic and have decided that all the cosy little towns of the carribean can be recreated in Louisiana

or

The story could be heavily based in New Orleans.

If the latter, there is a chance that Disney had decided to emulate the voodoo-based story of MI2 and found New Orleans a good backdrop for all the voodoo and swamp scenes.

we'll see.

Also, to anyone who hasn't seen POTC, go and buy the junior novelisation. finish it in a few hours.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0736421718/qid=1063763232/sr=8-1/ref=sr

If you are a monkey island fan, then chances are your imagination has been trained enough in carribean visuals that you will be able to recreate a much richer, more colourful version of POTC by reading the book. Of course if you see the movie beforehand, then whilst reading the book, you will probably just recreate the scenes from the movie in your head :(

• 2 years later...
They could have found carribean shooting to be problematic and have decided that all the cosy little towns of the carribean can be recreated in Louisiana or The story could be heavily based in New Orleans.

If the latter, there is a chance that Disney had decided to emulate the voodoo-based story of MI2 and found New Orleans a good backdrop for all the voodoo and swamp scenes.

we'll see.

Just returning to this topic three years later. And neither of my suppositions were entirely correct. But POTC2 does contain a swamp scene that is nearly a direct lift from monkey island, so it kinda puts beyond doubt that one of the writers had played MI2. So its not all coincidence! :)

Though I haven't seen it yet the film does seem connected to LeChuck's Revenge in some ways; such as trying to find the Chest of Davy Jones, the swamp scene as mentioned by spaceship, Will's new 'jacket' and Davy Jones looking similar to LeChuck. Yet of course comparisons were made with the last film.

Just returning to this topic three years later. And neither of my suppositions were entirely correct. But POTC2 does contain a swamp scene that is nearly a direct lift from monkey island, so it kinda puts beyond doubt that one of the writers had played MI2. So its not all coincidence! :)

Yes, there is absolutely no way a story about pirates could ever include a swamp and therefore the writers could have never gotten that idea from anywhere else but MI2...

But, just for a second, lets see where common sense takes us?

Our hero needs some advice from some person knowledgable in mystical... things. I know, lets have a voodoo lady! They were prominent in Pirate folk lore. Hmm... but where should she live? Oh! We all know they live in swamps, stands to reason. Well, in that case, we'll put her in a swamp.

Tunrs out, both our hero's (Guybrush and Sparrow) had similar needs and therefore ended up in similar places. I really wouldn't call this a coincidence, it'd be like two people who want to post a letter and so go to the post office...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I wasn't familiar with the rule that voodoo ladies had to live in swamps (I guess they really blew it by not having her in a swamp in MI1), so I thought the same thing when I saw POTC2. It wasn't just a voodoo lady in a swamp, the swamp and her house LOOKED the same as the one in MI2. I'm not saying that it was clearly a reference to MI2, but the similarities are more striking than Joshi is making out to be.

Wonder if the same thing will be said about voodoo dolls, and swamp dwelling voodoo ladies after POTC2...

I'm pretty sure I was paying attention during Dead Man's Chest, and I didn't notice any Voodoo dolls. Might've been one in the background somewhere, and there was one on a poster, but nothing major.

I think a Monkey Island movie is just as likely as a Grim Fandango flick, read that as you will.

I'm not saying that it was clearly a reference to MI2, but the similarities are more striking than Joshi is making out to be.

Well now I never said there were no similarities, there were plenty of similarities, but you have to understand that pirate stories will follow a basic formula, people expect a pirate story with a supernatural element to involve some voodoo lady in some swamp (voodoo lady's and swamps go together so well it's even been parodied). Voodoo dolls go without saying.

As for the similarities between the two swamps, I'm guessing you're referring to her little shack (because the swamp itself looked much like any other swamp I've seen in movies, save for the torches which one would expect), in which case, just about everythiing in there was formulaic, it was expected in MI2 and expected in POTC2, it's just the way the literary minded see these things.

...people expect a pirate story with a supernatural element to involve some voodoo lady in some swamp (voodoo lady's and swamps go together so well it's even been parodied)

Er, what? I don't quite understand what you're saying here. I've only seen three pirate stories which have had a supernatural element and a 'voodoo swamp' - and that includes MI2 and CMI. If it's such an obvious connection why wasn't there one in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie? You make it sound like the thought process was "well, pirates - ghosts, ****, what next? Obviously a voodoo lady who lives in a swamp!" which to me rings very false.

I've read books that follow that certain thought process, I don't remember their names, probably because I'm lieing (you were getting to that conclusion anyway, I thought I might as well put it out there)

What I'm basically saying is that outside of Florida and New Orleans, there's very little need in literary texts for there to be a voodoo lady (and the do tend to live in swamps, legend says it's where they get their power or something) unless they're helping a pirate. of some sort. All i'm saying is that just because it's similar to MI doesn't mean it was stolen from MI, it simply means they followed the same line of thought.

But if that rings false to you then so be it, I guess it's just one mans opinion.

Archived