Home

Lucas saying that he won't let further SW films be made

Remirol Nacnud

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

NJO is the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe ever.

nah..the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe was the death star being designed by an alien species. either that or jar jar binks.

Originally posted by Rogue15

nah..the worst thing to happen to the star wars universe was the death star being designed by an alien species. either that or jar jar binks.

The Genosaians are actually an extremely smart species, and I'm sure it wasn't made just by Genosians.

Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

You'll have to go through me, first! :slsaber:

The worst thing to happen to Star Wars was Timothy Zahn, period.

Actually, Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first EU and very inaccurate to both the films and EU. Enjoyable if you make things up to tie it all in.

Zahn's Trilogy is technically incredible. It has a great story, memorable and likable characters and a good villian. Dark Force Rising was the worst book of the trilogy because it dragged; felt like filler, to me.

Zahn's Trilogy is comparable to Batman Forever. After I saw it, I thought it was a great, fun movie, and considered it the best of the Batman franchise. And then Batman and Robin came out, and I saw how terrible it was, and I noticed the seeds of every awful thing that happened appearant in Batman Forever. Batman Forever started a trend in the franchise that resulted in the monstrosity that was Batman and Robin.

I compare Zahn's Trilogy to Batman Forever because it did the same thing to the Star Wars book franchise that Batman Forever did to the Batman movie franchise. After you read Zahn's Trilogy, you think that this is an awesome story arch. And then you go on to read Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy, and then Hambly's books, and on and on as the franchise just sinks lower and lower in quality and imagination.

Zahn changed the essence of Star Wars in his books, and subsiquent authors followed this trend. Zahn wrote Star Wars as straight science fiction, not as science fantacy, not as an apendage of the monomyth. The Star Wars movies are classics not because they're just sci-fi, but because they reflect universal themes. Sci-fi is always novelty, but the monomyth contains objective truths about human nature and the journy through life.

And that is why I say Zahn was the worst thing that happened to Star Wars. He was the first person in almost a decade who was allowed to write Star Wars; the first allowed to write about what happened after Return of the Jedi. And he started the trend toward sci-fi.

Actually, Alan Dean Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first EU and very inaccurate to both the films and EU. Enjoyable if you make things up to tie it all in.

Foster's Splinter of the Mind's Eye is my favorite EU novel. I don't care that it doesn't square with the movies, or the rest of the EU. What matters to me is that it captures the kind of pulp-fiction, science-fantasy sensibility that has the movies, and so more fully captures the essence, the feeling, of Star Wars than any of the other EU novels.

Originally posted by Jedi_Monk

Zahn's Trilogy is technically incredible. It has a great story, memorable and likable characters and a good villian. Dark Force Rising was the worst book of the trilogy because it dragged; felt like filler, to me.

I'll agree, lots of little bits of useless info, but so much is based off of the Thrawn Trilogy, and it is a good story. ;)

Archived