Home

Next Jedi Academy

JADENKORR8

Jedi Academy 2 or Jedi Knight 3...

If Jedi Knight 3 means that we play as Kyle again then

I think new Jedi Academy game could be better...

Because I am not so sure that it would be so fun if I

would be "all powerfull" Jedi master from the begining

and it wouldn't be any better if they Again take away

his powers and saber...

I think JA and the q3 engine does have an expansion pack left in it, possibly exploring the story arc that was to all intents and purposes 'left open' to be followed up. It probably would mean though you would be back to being kyle, maybe luke, which would sort of be a downer, because I really like the twilek jaden I played with, evil or not !! If they could bring Mara into it, like MOTS, now *that* would be great ! The expansion pack could also provide us with more MP options, including the hotly debated siege level with the flight element....???

The jedi knight series will live on though, of course. JKIII will probably feature another engine and hopefull be as an amazing step up as JO was to JKI...

Here's to hoping.......

MTFBWYA

Well, I think it would be a little foolish if Lucasarts did not continue this series. It's very popular, and it's the only Star Wars FPS series out there - until Republic Commando arrives. Even then, it will be the only FPS series that allows you to 'be a Jedi'.

Personally, I would like to see an expansion pack for Jedi Academy - and as others have stated, perhaps focusing on continuing the story from the Dark Side ending. There's no reason why you could not continue to play your Dark character - and have a series of objectives you have to try and complete to gain power.

As for another 'full' game in the series, it's time to move on to a new engine. If Raven are involved, that would probably be the new Doom engine. If not, Lucasarts is already using the Unreal engine to make Republic Commando, so it would make sense to use that for another Jedi game.

I would also be interested to see them look at an MP-biased Jedi game, along the lines of Unreal Tournament. If Siege could be expanded in terms of scope and scale, it would be a natural candidate for inclusion in such a game. If they can find another couple of excellent MP game modes that offer something different within a Star Wars context (rather than vanilla DM, CTF etc.), then it would be a worthwhile project, IMHO. And they could then focus entirely on balancing a wider range of weapons, and the Sabers and Force. I'd like to see some space-based combat, and even something like the 'tram' from JA as an 'assault' style map. I liked the 'train' map in UT, and the tram from JA would have been a perfect candidate for that kind of gameplay.

Anyway - I see a great deal of potential for the series, even without Kyle. Although, 'Kyle's Smackdown Party House' has a nice ring to it... :D I can just see him standing there... "You think you're a Jedi? Hah. Come and let me pwn j00!"

I'm not sure about an expansion because most every review of JA went griping about the quake 3 engine. Without Kyle the series loses some identity and I think they would need a new strong character to continue it. Also, how much could the saber combat be improved considering the control-scheme? It'd be awfully hard to swing a lightsaber with full freedom of movement with a mouse, and I can't see how anything else would be a big enough step forward to merit a new game.

What ever next Jedi Knight game is i hope... :

- They should put a little more attention to guns and especially

blaster (those toys are useless in JA and JO because their ammo

is so slow and doesn't do really any damage...)

- They should make the force powers more powerfull but also

make using the force Much harder...

- They should bring back the empire in full scale...

- They should limit the numbers of "saber/force users"... there

should be max ~15 saber enemies and only one or two really

power sith lords (strong with the force and skillfull with sabers)

rest of the saber guys could be pretty good with sabers but

their force powers should be limited to basics powers

(no real sith powers like lightning, drain...)

Originally posted by Emon

If Kyle really dies in the dark side ending, THERE WILL BE NO EXPANSION OR SEQUEL BASED OFF THAT ENDING. IT WOULD UTTERLY DESTROY SOME OF THE BOOKS THAT COME LATER IN THE TIME LINE, SO IT WON'T HAPPEN.

Kyle does not die he gets out of the rubble and talks to luke.

I don't think that any of these Jedi games could start you off with powers. That only works if the powers are very limited(for instance, it was pulled off easily in TPM game).

Going around in the first level with full powers would be too easy.

So you'd really have to be a new jedi. Unless its an expansion, in which case a player should have already played the first game through with a character.

I'd love a JK3 game with a new engine. 3 games on the same engine would be tiresome. Making JA with the same engine as JO was OK. I bought it because I knew that great new things would be done with it, and a big improvement on JO. But there is only so much that you can improve.

Kyle really gets on my nerves anyway. But then, so does the dialogue for Jaden. But at least I could make Jaden look like me.

Originally posted by SpaceButler13

Also, how much could the saber combat be improved considering the control-scheme? It'd be awfully hard to swing a lightsaber with full freedom of movement with a mouse, and I can't see how anything else would be a big enough step forward to merit a new game.

Erm...why do there have to be sweeping changes to gameplay mechanics like that to warrant a new game? I've seen hundreds of FPS games, and none of those really mess with the basic mechanics of using guns. You aim, you shoot. I think the way saber combat is handled is fine as it is. Having the mouse control the actual saber swings immediately introduces the problem of not being able to 'mouse look' while in combat, and that's not really a good idea. This kind of thing has been discussed to death in the past about it's pros and cons - when Obi-Wan was still being developed for PC, as a matter of fact.

Originally posted by Master_Keralys

Why not a Jedi Knight game set in the NJO? Hey, that sounds like a thread. Going to do that now.

Not everyone is a fan of the NJO series, and I number among them. I realy don't see how much fun it would be for a 'Jedi' to tackle creatures that are impervious to the Force and lightsabers. It kind of kills off the impetus of being able to use your Force powers and lightsabers...so I don't think it would be much fun to play.

Originally posted by ChineseJedi

I want another game with Kyle... or at least ditch the custom character thing. I want a character with depth.

Yes, but the simple fact is they could have given 'Jaden Korr' a lot more depth by fleshing out the background of the character. Like why Jaden was able to construct a lightsaber without any training in the Force at all. Where did Jaden come from? The character could have had some emotional baggage to carry around. The only reason why Kyle had more depth is because you learn about his past in all the games in which he has featured...and he has to deal with issues linked to his past, like hunting down Jerec and the other Dark Jedi who murdered his father. Such plot mechanics could easily have been introduced into Jedi Academy, but they weren't. It was a missed opportunity, IMHO, and I certainly hope it's corrected in another full game in the series.

So there's no need to ditch the customisation process. I think it works fine, and I applaud Raven for bringing back a bit of the RPG-lite element.

Originally posted by Remirol Nacnud

Going around in the first level with full powers would be too easy.

I think that depends on exactly how the game was designed. Obviously it would have to be designed to cater for a full Force user - and that could partly be tackled by radically increasing the number of enemies in a level, and during each encounter. You might be a full-fledged Jedi, but if you have 30 Stormtroopers surrounding you all firing at the same time - your Force mana pool is going to drain pretty rapidly. Or having enemies in Cortosis armour would make sabering them to death all the more difficult. It would need a lot more creative thinking, I agree, but I don't think it would be impossible.

Kyle really gets on my nerves anyway. But then, so does the dialogue for Jaden. But at least I could make Jaden look like me.

You mean...you're really a Rodian?!? :eek::p j/k

why not make a game where you ARE a jedi knight/jedi master at the start? Talk about making a game that would suck you in! We've all seen jedi knight levels repeatedly and they're cool, but what about the Yoda's and the Ulic Quel Droma's and the Nomi Sunriders out there? Total Force powerhouses...you could give them missions on epic scales with expanded powers.

I'm sorry but the SW nerd in me views most of these games as a very limited look at the jedi. Let there be force power trees instead of just a set of 4 powers on each side....advanced powers that are devastating or miraculous! So you've got force jump 3, what about moving on to levitation...or mind trick, how about mental domination? Force Absorb? Why not Vader's nifty blaster bolt absorb?

Make the missions not ALL combat related....make some stealth related, or escapes from an enemy base with a high ranking npc without allowing an alarm to sound....

The only problem so far is that the games are limiting the characters to jedi "knight" levels of power. Why not explore the force more deeply? According to SW lore many Jedi Masters gave up the lightsaber to focus entirely on developing their force powers as both offensive and defensive abilities....why not have someone who can do mass force choke, or force stuns etc...maybe a jedi master who also uses a form of force enhanced martial arts...

In my opinion Kyle Katarn has had his Trology and come full circle. DF, JK1 and JO have provided a pretty good and complete story arc for Kyle's development from simple mercenary to Jedi Master.

I feel that with Jedi Academy the torch has been passed to a new generation for new stories and a new direction. If a follow up game is made, I would like it to be a follow up to Jedi Academy where you have the same customization choices as JA (for those wanting to use the same character created in JA) and of course a good deal of new choices (in case you want to use something different).

For storyline purposes, I don't want anymore Valley of the Jedi stories, I think those played out already in JK and JO. I realize that many people did not like encountering so many saber wielding opponents (though after playing the game through a second time, I found a lot less than what people were commenting about, the constant saber battles do not start until Vjun and the third tier of missions, everything before that was limited into 2-3 saber wielders per level, if any). In any case I confess I did like the constant saber battles (saber dueling was the reason I bought the game anyways) and I would like to see in the next story Ragnos resurrected fully rebuilding the Sith Empire either allied or even opposed by the Remnant. I don't mind fighting the Remnant and criminal organizations but playing a Jedi after all I like fighting opponents of equal skill and that can be a balanced threat against me. Still, having the 3 factions against each other reminds me of Shadows of the Empire where the Rebels, Empire and Black Sun fought in the final battle. I would also like to see groups of allied Jedi battling the Sith groups as opposed to only the player and 1 other during a fair portion of the game as well as plenty of neutral npcs.

I don't recall correctly but I don't remember that much of Kyle Katarn revealed in DF, other than the instruction booklet saying he was a former imperial and then worked as a merc for the Rebels, I don't remember that much insight into the character until JK1. Perhaps JA will be set up in this fashion (though I would have preferred it to have shown a lot more Jaden's person) maybe in a sequel we'd learn more about his/her past on Coruscant, who discovered him/her, and watch Jaden grow in relationships with fellow students and with his mentor Kyle. I know there won't be the development and npc interaction of KOTOR but something like ST Elite Force would do fine to develop the characters and their relationships.

I agree on making non-combat missions, though not exactly stealth related. I liked the concept of the Sand Borrower mission because it was different from just hacking away 1000 enemies, same with the Rancors and Boba Fett. I would like to see that sort of thing expanded upon, maybe even have a couple of missions doing the investigation and diplomacy stuff they mention Jedi do so much but is never used in the games. Maybe have different or alternative objectives within the main missions like the game Freedom Fighters.

As for MP, I only would like to see the option of separating the charcaters and bots by class or type. The only thing I truly miss of JO is using Forcemod 2 so that Jedi use their sabers while stormtroopers and bounty hunters don't.

Well, maybe not completely new mechanics, but as a big fan of the single-player in JO and JA, I find that the reborn fights are getting a bit old and something would have to be changed in the combat system for me to shell out another 50 dollars. Maybe it could be done with more force options, or making not slashing everying that moves into itty bitty bits feasible, but the saber is the primary mechanic for the game. If they could give me more control over the saber somehow it would be fantastic. There are so many moments where I think if I could just move my arm a little instead of being stuck in a set animation I would kill that guy. I don't know, but it feels to me like after JA there needs to be something radically new to keep the series interesting.

Many years have passed, Darkside Jaden has gained total control of the Academy, killing Luke (Kyle and Jan escape). BTW - all this can be in the initial cinematics.

Jan bears Kyle's son and he trains him on a remote planet with the help of ghost Luke, yoda, obiwan, and anakin.

While this training is going on, Jaden makes a new Sith Army full of Dark Jedi. They relentlessly pursue the capture of young Katarn, making the training difficult.

Young Katarn sees his father slain by a host of Dark Jedi, and enraged with anger, must choose his difficult path (which must be the light side). He escapes and resumes his training with the afforementioned and ghost Kyle. They tell him of a secret place of the Jedi where he becomes all-poewrful.

He then must track down and kill all the Dark Jedi and meet Jaden in the end.

(my thought)

1: Dark side game) This time ull play as either luke or kyle(to keep the customization thing going)

If u play as luke u will do the visa versa of JA, train students :D then later in the game you will not hear from kyle and track him down, on the way you will fight jaden (quick thought: jaden will look like what u want him or her to look like)

If you play as kyle you will follow jaden at every cost, you will go to many planets trying to find jaden until you finnaly confront him and fight him trying to turn him back.

2: light side game)Play as Jaden again, you will continue on the path of a jedi and become a jedi master and train students as well as go on some other awsome missions

I think for both light side and dark side games there will have another sith lerking about..if JK3 is like this, itll kick sum A**

Archived