Home

Force power balance

Dr_night

Well very soon if you want to you'll be able to make a mod with how you think the Force powers should be "balanced" and you can let your peers decide if it's worth playing.

Personally I think the Forces feel "fine" as they are. Yes, Force Regen 0 will just lead to more "spammage" and more whines IMO.

Using higher saberdamagescale will negate the usefulness of drain/heal "spamming" though.

Originally posted by Iblis Reborn

and to the ppl who think lightning is too weak, have you seen how much dammage do?

It IS too weak... And it IS too powerfull = Its effect is too

weak when you get hit but hitting with it is too easy...

Vader isn't the only character to use 'Grip' in the movies, Luke uses it on two Gammorean guards in ROTJ.

Okay, I'll take one for the team and be a total fan-boy nerd on this one. According to rumor (so take it for what it's worth), when questioned about Luke using a "Dark Side" power in this scenario, George Lucas responded that in fact it was really just a "Mind Trick" - Luke fooled the guards into believing they were choking.

No such thing as lame? now 2 things, first of all that is A MATTER OF OPINION 2nd saying that on some servers will get you banned

There's no such thing as "laming" on my server & you're more likely to get banned for whining about it than anything else. ;)

Okay, I'll take one for the team and be a total fan-boy nerd on this one. According to rumor (so take it for what it's worth), when questioned about Luke using a "Dark Side" power in this scenario, George Lucas responded that in fact it was really just a "Mind Trick" - Luke fooled the guards into believing they were choking.

Maybe Luke telepathically beamed a showing of "the Star Wars Holiday Special" into their heads, causing them to choke themselves into unconsciousness to escape the sheer agony?

I don't have the game yet (I'll get it tomorrow!) but I played it at a friend earlier today. As far as I can see it no powers are cheap.

Heal heals too little to be cheap.

Absorb is usually too obvious to be cheap.

Drain and Lightning are too easily countered to be cheap.

Grip is easily countered by absorb. Most people move you at 60 rpm so pushing is not a very effective option. This is the "cheapest" force, but not "cheap".

Rage drains health and it is easy to avoid ragers until the rage runs out. Then move in for the kill... Moral: It is not cheap.

Protect protects too little to be cheap.

Moral: Nothing is really cheap. There is a good counter for eveything with the best one being drain. After all, preventing is better than curing, isn't it?

BTW can you engage in a "melee drain" in MP? I never tried...

Maybe Luke telepathically beamed a showing of "the Star Wars Holiday Special" into their heads, causing them to choke themselves into unconsciousness to escape the sheer agony?

LOL. Could be... either that or Episode I (Jar Jar? 'Nuff said!) ;)

Back on topic... Force power balanced? Nope. They're still fun, even if most of them don't bear the slightest resemblance to anything in the movies.

There's no such thing as "laming" on my server & you're more likely to get banned for whining about it than anything else. ;)

Yes i know there are some like that but i have ASE and have played on nearly ALL the servers by now, so let me tell you you are in the MINORITY

Originally posted by Sgt. Antronch

No such thing as lame? now 2 things, first of all that is A MATTER OF OPINION

Exactly. It's a matter of opinion. Just like "what is the prettyest colour?".

So is there one colour that everyone agrees is more pretty than any other colour? No? Exactly. :)

2nd saying that on some servers will get you banned

Which would be exactly why even the most immature player out there should try to understand, that they simply can't log on to a server and demand everyone else to use "red skins only" because "red is the bestest and prettyest colour of all and all other colours are lame".

Likewise all you admins out there might want to rethink what you're doing. Are you being the good guy or an immature prick? Are you insulting, kicking and banning people from your server because they weren't dressed in red, but some lame noob-ass colour? Will you totally flip out if someone dares to imply that red is not the prettyest colour?

but i have ASE and have played on nearly ALL the servers by now, so let me tell you you are in the MINORITY

And this is because the whole world thinks red is the prettyest colour of all or because immature pricks are running around servers 24/7 insulting people and trying to kick them from he server if they dare to use anything but red skins?

Think about it.

For the most part, the Force powers are... well... they're okay.

For one thing, the system is a little too 'simplistic' for my tastes.

Everything has a counter... blah blah. In the end, it works, although I still feel that Force Drain is the bane of JO/JA, and will remain so forever.

First, you can't nerf it too much or it has no purpose. But then, the way it is now, it's overly useful if every offensive tool available to you only does 15-25 damage a hit.

Scaling the saber damage way up is generally the ultimate solution to 'balancing' the force powers. That way, you can make the Force powers powerful, like lightning, grip, etc.... but so long as everyon'es poke stick does tremendous damage, we all can sleep better knowing that someone is going to die sooner or later.

In terms of laming, yes... a majority of servers believe in that bastardly word "Lame". This is because a majority of players are still young teenagers that haven't quite figured out how to keep their heads cool and accept defeat. What can I say? Some people just can't stand being defeated. Lame is basically another word for "EGO", or "INFLATED HEAD" -- the person crying the term of course.

Grip being too powerful, while a popular phrase, is also one filled with error. A majority of players who have decent mouse reflexes, or any reflexes at all for that matter, have been able to counter Grip in less than a second. The only time grip becomes super formidable is when another person using grip either has awesome reflexes, or has an awesome script to do the reflexing for them. But then again, even then... it's not so bad. Only on that stupid NS-streets map in JO was grip even somewhat ultra powerful.

There is nothing wrong with the Force Powers the way they are. They are balanced perfectly so that it should require skill to use them effectively. Examples being lightning, anyone with half a brain can defend against a lightning whore, flick on absorb or like somone else said, drain there ass, hey whatever works! I personnaly am a light sider so I got with heal and absorb. Grip can also be easily countered by absorb, flick it on before they get chance to throw you over a cliff. I use push when im not near a cliff.

I'm not saying being killed is being lamed, but there IS such a thing as laming, like when someone asks a question of a player he tries to answer that question and is killed with his chatbox up, killing unfairly is laming, BUT most people loose their heads at the slightest thing which ISN'T laming and some people think anything to do with balance and trying to stop being killed unfairly is a whiner even if he tries to point things out clearly and simply for even the most ignorant too see but in some cases (like these) the ignorant people don't want to listen to what he says and labels him as whiner.

and BTW ignorant is lack of information, stupid is the refusal of information and therefore an inuslt and I would use the word stupid to be truthful but I felt that an admin might take it as flaming, though truth it may be

...there IS such a thing as laming, like when someone asks a question of a player he tries to answer that question and is killed with his chatbox up, killing unfairly is laming...

That's subjective; a matter of opinion rather than fact.

I'm not trying to argue that chat-killing is clever, noble or admirable, nevertheless we're talking about a game, not a chat room. Chatting is optional, not mandatory.

In reference to your example, I'd have to ask myself where my priorities lie - to play the game or answer someone's question.

If I decide to chat, then I accept the risk that my "virtual Jedi" might get clobbered whilst I type.

"Laming" is an excuse for pathetic players or Role Playing idiots who should go play starwar's galaxies or make their own servers not being able to win.

Scenario.

i am playing in FFA

no rules, no voting :)

RP idiot joins. Challanges me to duel cause i got hte highest score. I accept. He turns of his lightsaber and does 10 different taunts and useless movements. I slaughter him with a twirl. He screams lamer and tries to go after me for the entire game. Everytime i meat him he starts chatting and saying "prepare to die.. bla bal bla...". I don't waste time and frag him in a variety of ways. He screams that this server sucks and i suck and voting must be enabled and i am a lamer bla bal bla bla bal. I reply that this server is fair with no rules, everyone does whatever they want to win besides cheating with actual hacks and 3rd party programs. He says "F*** you" and leaves.

You are most likely one of these people if you complain about force powers. All people who want RP style gameplay should eighter go to another game or make a mod to play in whatever way they want. Please go and do so or die.

i personally think all are balanced as a whole, with some being weak, and some being strong. but it all balanced out over the two sides in the end.

my only real issues have ever been with grip. the "pick up and drop off edge" combo killed me numerous times and i grew to hate it....

but that was when i had my 56k. now that im cable loaded, ive been owning. no grip has killed me yet.

moral: more lag = more likely youll hate grip+drop off edge.

less lag = better reaction time to grip, thus defeating its power.

so, in the end, all are good on any connection, save for high-ping ones. on a high ping connection, grip is cheese. with a higher connection rate, grip is easily defeated, and made almost useless by good players.

edit: as for chat kills and RPers and stuff....

well, i like to RP. but im not dumb about it. if someone says something to me, ill respond in kind (whether RPing, or joking around, or taunting or what have you). but if they come for me, i hit enter and fight. its just common sense. ill never make the first move tho. in fact, one time i walked up to one guy (in a duel game) and sat right next to him. we both sat there, playing this weird game of sitting chicken until one of us finally cracked. in the end i jumped up and he thought i was on the attack and swung at me. i almost died, but it sure was funny.

Originally posted by Qaz

"Laming" is an excuse for pathetic players or Role Playing idiots who should go play starwar's galaxies or make their own servers not being able to win.

Scenario.

i am playing in FFA

no rules, no voting :)

RP idiot joins. Challanges me to duel cause i got hte highest score. I accept. He turns of his lightsaber and does 10 different taunts and useless movements. I slaughter him with a twirl. He screams lamer and tries to go after me for the entire game. Everytime i meat him he starts chatting and saying "prepare to die.. bla bal bla...". I don't waste time and frag him in a variety of ways. He screams that this server sucks and i suck and voting must be enabled and i am a lamer bla bal bla bla bal. I reply that this server is fair with no rules, everyone does whatever they want to win besides cheating with actual hacks and 3rd party programs. He says "F*** you" and leaves.

You are most likely one of these people if you complain about force powers. All people who want RP style gameplay should eighter go to another game or make a mod to play in whatever way they want. Please go and do so or die.

as I have said before If the server has no rules then no rules, if the server has rules, OBEY THEM!!!!!!!!!!! if an rp is foolish enough to go to a "lamer" server then he deserves what he gets.

and LAMING persay, is killing someone unfairly, if you disagree, then tell me what is laming? not someone who whines about things but the WORD laming from what i have seen LAMING IS KILLING PEOPLE UNFAIRLY.

and i shall repeat what i have said one more to get it through your dense skulls, IT'S THE SERVER! NO RULES ON THE SERVERR THAN LAMING IS OK RULES ON THE SERVEER OBERY THEM FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

there, was that clear enough or do you need to repeat the question once again? :)

unfair?

umm in an action game where the goal is to kill people the only thing that is unfair is client side hacks like an aimbot.

chat box, saber down, etc. is done by choice.

you don't want to be "lamed"?

don't talk in the middle of a FFA.

I mean really, who in their right mind would actually complain about being chat killed in the middle of a FFA?

"I was typing!"

"yeah and I was killing, we all still saw your text you so did what you came to do and I did what I came to do".

just get over it, if you want to type and not be killed esc > spectate.

No such thing as lame? ...that is A MATTER OF OPINION...

Also originally posted by Sgt. Antronch

...but there IS such a thing as laming...

Be consistent. You shouldn't dismiss what someone says as mere "opinion" then contradict them and imply what you are saying is true. Also, if you want to be taken seriously it would be in your favor not to refer to your audience as having "dense skulls."

I understand that you are passionate about "laming," however please appreciate that "unfair" is open to a number of different interpretations.

Clearly you find a number of things about this game unfair. That is your prerogative, however you did state that you wanted to see if others would agree with you. Evidently some do not. That's known to happen from time to time on discussion forums. ;)

tell me what is laming?

In my opinion, "laming" or to "lame" is a term coined by individuals who can't see past their egos to appreciate that this is just a game. Personally, I believe that some have become too accustomed to options such as "auto-save" and "pause" in single-player. It's a shock to them to join a server with multiple players and independent thinking where they are not the center of attention. The expression "lamer" is used to describe dissatisfaction with a person who did something they simply didn't anticipate or like.

Additionally, to the best of my knowledge, no one in this thread has encouraged people to disregard server rules and behave inappropriately. There's no need to remind us (in all caps no less) to "OBERY THEM FOR GOD'S SAKE!!"

as I have said before If the server has no rules then no rules, if the server has rules, OBEY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody said anything about not obeying server rules.

and LAMING persay, is killing someone unfairly, if you disagree, then tell me what is laming?

Laming is using blue skins even though red is the prettyest colour and all other colours suck ass. :p

Seriously: yes, I disagree with what you said because it a) makes no sense b) is not true even if it did make sense as such.

Here, try this link if you want to know what you're talking about:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114280

and i shall repeat what i have said one more to get it through your dense skulls, IT'S THE SERVER! NO RULES ON THE SERVERR THAN LAMING IS OK RULES ON THE SERVEER OBERY THEM FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

Your definition of laming is not correct. There is no colour that is prettyer than all other colours. It's a matter of opinion, just like you said yourself.

And you might wanna cool down a bit....all those typos...tsk-tsk :D

Archived