Home

1st or 3rd person View w/light saber

radrick01

how can the so called game designers at LucasArts be so @&$#^%%$#@ as to not give the customer (THE ONES WITH THE MONEY!) the option to use 1st person View with the light saber. Jedi knight 2, and Outcast both used the 1st person View with the light saber. Why would they screw up a good thing?????

I am so disapionted that I am returning the game for my money back. I don't think I'll ever buy a LucasArts game again!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RadRick01

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ho there, man i'm playing the game with first person lightsaber view.

It takes some editing but its possible.

First thing you need to do is to edit the .skin files of the character you are using. You can see which model parts you are using by tuping ''playermodel'' in the console

That will tell for example that you are using:

jedi_hm head_c1 lower_c1 torso_e1

Well, ones you now what models your usingo you must edit the correspondig .skin files in the models/players directory.

You must set some of the surfaces to ''clear''. Note that if you set the to ''off'', that will turn those surfaces off for hit detection as well, so you'd be cheating.

So, you turn the surfaces you want to ''clear'' and then you must set the third person view position to match the first person view position.

this are the parameters I use for matching the third person view with the first person position:

set cg_thirdpersonvertoffset -5

set cg_thirdpersonrange -0.5

set cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 1

set cg_thirdpersontargetdamp 1

You can put them in your autoexec.cfg if you want. Anyway, it seems that the game ignores those commands in the autoexec at first. Therefore what you have to do is to write in the console while you are in the game ''exec auotexec''. And there you have it, third person's first person view

This is how I configured my .skin files:

Head_c1:

head_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

heada,*off

heada_face,*off

heada_teeth,*off

headc,*off

headc_face,*off

headc_teeth,*off

headb,clear

headb_face,clear

headb_teeth,clear

headb_bang,clear

r_handd,models/players/jedi_hm/robes02_hands.tga

l_handd,models/players/jedi_hm/robes02_hands.tga

l_handa,*off

l_handa_cap_l_arm_off,*off

r_handa,*off

r_handa_cap_r_arm_off,*off

r_handb,*off

r_handb_cap_r_arm_off,*off

l_handb,*off

l_handb_cap_l_arm_off,*off

r_handc,*off

r_handc_cap_r_arm_off,*off

l_handc,*off

l_handc_cap_l_arm_off,*off

r_handd_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

l_handd_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

r_hande,*off

r_hande_cap_r_arm_off,*off

l_hande,*off

l_hande_cap_l_arm_off,*off

r_handf,*off

r_handf_cap_r_arm_off,*off

l_handf,*off

l_handf_cap_l_arm_off,*off

Lower_c1:

hips_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

hipsa,*off

l_lega,*off

l_lega_cap_hips_off,*off

r_lega,*off

r_lega_cap_hips_off,*off

hipsa_cap_l_leg_off,*off

hipsa_cap_r_leg_off,*off

hipsb,*off

r_legb,*off

r_legb_cap_hips_off,*off

l_legb,*off

l_legb_cap_hips_off,*off

hipsb_cap_l_leg_off,*off

hipsb_cap_r_leg_off,*off

hipsd,*off

l_legd,*off

l_legd_cap_hips_off,*off

r_legd,*off

r_legd_cap_hips_off,*off

hipsd_cap_l_leg_off,*off

hipsd_cap_r_leg_off,*off

hipsc,clear

l_legc,clear

l_legc_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

r_legc,clear

r_legc_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

hipsc_cap_l_leg_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

hipsc_cap_r_leg_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

hipse,*off

hipse_cap_l_leg_off,*off

hipse_cap_r_leg_off,*off

l_lege,*off

l_lege_cap_hips_off,*off

r_lege,*off

r_lege_cap_hips_off,*off

Torso_e1:

torso_cap_hips_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torso_cap_head_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsoa,*off

l_arma,*off

l_arma_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_arma_cap_torso_off,*off

r_arma,*off

r_arma_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_arma_cap_torso_off,*off

torsoa_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsoa_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsob,clear

l_armb,clear

l_armb_skin,models/players/jedi_hm/vest02_arms.tga

l_armb_cap_l_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

l_armb_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

r_armb,clear

r_armb_skin,models/players/jedi_hm/vest02_arms.tga

r_armb_cap_r_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

r_armb_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsob_cap_l_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsob_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga

torsoc,*off

r_armc,*off

r_armc_skin,*off

r_armc_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_armc_cap_torso_off,*off

l_armc,*off

l_armc_skin,*off

l_armc_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_armc_cap_torso_off,*off

torsoc_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsoc_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsod,*off

r_armd,*off

r_armd_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_armd_cap_torso_off,*off

torsod_lower,*off

l_armd,*off

l_armd_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_armd_cap_torso_off,*off

torsod_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsod_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsoe,*off

r_arme,*off

r_arme_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_arme_cap_torso_off,*off

l_arme,*off

l_arme_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_arme_cap_torso_off,*off

torsoe_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsoe_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsoe_lower,*off

torsof,*off

r_armf,*off

r_armf_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_armf_cap_torso_off,*off

l_armf,*off

l_armf_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_armf_cap_torso_off,*off

torsof_cap_l_arm_off,*off

torsof_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsog,*off

torsog_collar,*off

torsog_cap_r_arm_off,*off

torsog_cap_l_arm_off,*off

l_armg,*off

l_armg_cap_l_hand_off,*off

l_armg_cap_torso_off,*off

l_armg_cuff,*off

r_armg,*off

r_armg_cap_r_hand_off,*off

r_armg_cap_torso_off,*off

r_armg_cuff,*off

r_handg,*off

r_handg_cap_r_arm_off,*off

l_handg,*off

l_handg_cap_l_arm_off,*off

And that's it, you can now play the game with saber's first person view plus the possibility of doing acrobatics.

Question TPB........ when you use force speed, does the camera view change at all? If this works then you have totally saved this somewhat mediocre game for me, man. One more thing, does the skin show up regularly when the game switches to cutscenes? It would look pretty weird if your character isn't on screen during those

Well, those are the few things that are screwed when you use my method, cause the force speed turns the camera backwards, and in the cutscenes you can only see a pair of hands moving in the air, jeje.

Anyway its worth it for me. But it would also be great if the raven guys released a patch making first person saber available.

Cool! I will try your method.

Making a cfg file bound to a key that would switch it back to "normal" for the cutscenes would probably be a good work around.

However Raven really should still patch this in, because that method won't work in Multiplayer (if it did, it could so easily be abused to cheat).

Actually, that method should work in MP (but not on pure servers). Since the actual model rendering is handled client side, altering the skin files will only affect things on your system.

However, this will result in all the other players using your skin to have missing heads, bodies, etc. just like your character.

I think I mentioned this before but the reason why Raven took out the FPS view was because they would have had to impliment a True View like system (like what I did for MotF) or create special FPS view models for all the different combinations of custom jedi skins.

I don't see why they would need to.

In JK2 they had 40+ MP skins and yet in the 1.04 patch you had the option to use CG_FPLS 1/G_FPLS 1 to use an "arm's only" Kyle skin with the lightsaber for first person lightsaber action.

And since the "headless" and "arms only" skins had been flagged as unusuable through the console (they were exploits) it worked fine.. only you saw the arms only skin, everybody else saw whatever skin you were using.

And since it was ONLY a skin for the FPLS command, you could perform all the acrobatic moves that were associated with the saber, and the camera wouldn't spin around abnormally to make you sick.

It was MUCH better than the first person lightsaber/fists view that was used in JK2 SP (that one didn't allow you to do acrobatics).

A similar solution could be implemented for JA. They wouldn't have to make 2,000+ customized Jaden skins, unless they really wanted to. Functionally there's no reason to.

Besides, how many combinations are you going to have for two floating forearms anyway?

Just do it the way it was done in JK2 1.04 MP and it should be perfect... even for the custom Jedi. If other skins can use kyle's forearms, so can they.

Originally posted by razorace

Actually, that method should work in MP (but not on pure servers). Since the actual model rendering is handled client side, altering the skin files will only affect things on your system.

However, this will result in all the other players using your skin to have missing heads, bodies, etc. just like your character.

Exactly. A patch is needed. I'm waiting... maybe then I can buy this game.

I think I mentioned this before but the reason why Raven took out the FPS view was because they would have had to impliment a True View like system (like what I did for MotF) or create special FPS view models for all the different combinations of custom jedi skins.

This is the first time I read this reason. True view would be better and I understand it would be difficult to implement. But why not implement the JO method? It would be better than nothing. :(

Originally posted by Kurgan

Well, I'm guessing that the current cg_fpls 1 function is the same as the old one. If you can figure out what model file it's referencing (probably the original one), you could just slap in one of the old kyle fpls skins and be done with it.

Take a DEEP breath, or maybe ten

Exactly. well put Sidious...

Thats what the forums are for RadRick, your fellow JA ppl can help you solve your dilemma......M'Kay !!! Getting on here and bagging our beloved billionaire game developer will achieve naught.

Just think about it alot of the JA/q3 settings can be altered. So, as shown in the above posts, you can alter the skinsand or the viewpos to get your desired effect.....

I don't understand why though... All those beautiful kata animations took alot of time and care, and all some people want is a JKI style saber poppin up in front of the screen... It was fun back then, because there was nothing better, but considering how dynamic the q3 engine is and how fast the game action can be it just seems a bit silly to me... but to each their own, that what makes JA and the q3 engine so great, that you can CHANGE things to suit your preferences ....!

MTFBWYA

Well, I'm guessing that the current cg_fpls 1 function is the same as the old one. If you can figure out what model file it's referencing (probably the original one), you could just slap in one of the old kyle fpls skins and be done with it.

The skin in JO is kyle_fpls2.skin

So you think that if you add it in a pk3 JA could automagically use it? I doubt it and can't try since I don't have the game. The problem with pure servers would still be present, thought.

Originally posted by ig64

hey, once you do it, try changing the fov to a lower level, like cg_fov 30-cg_fov 50, ive been doing it for a long time, it looks really cool:)

p.s. make shure you turn the mouse sensitivity up

Does anyone knows how to make the cg_fov thing 90? Because i always have to type it in the console everytime i play.:(

Archived