Home

Water and Fire Maps.

ZBomber

Here are some concept drawings for a map I'm making. :)

http://jeditwotwenty.tripod.com/water.txt

http://jeditwotwenty.tripod.com/fire.txt

Thanks to Jed for uploading the pics. :)

As you can see, they are fire and water based maps. There is a dueling platform above each map, and on the water one, there are underground tunnels that lead to different areas. Some of the rocks will be breakable on the fire Map. I'll post some pictures in game soon. ;)

Originally posted by Kengo

Z, I like the ideas you've got going there - elemental themed maps is a terrific idea, and having the fight suspended above some kind of pitfall tends to be enjoyabel - hwoever, your concept drawing are as bad as one of mine :)

You know it. I have no artistic skills, what so ever. :p

Glad you like the ideas though. :)

Originally posted by lassev

Your map desperately cries out for some nice curves and patches...

Yeh, I plan on making the rocks more curvey, but blocky too, and once I figure out where the pipe will go, I'll try to make it more of a circular shape, instead of a 9-Sided Polygon. :p

I dunno if you can see it good in the pics, but at the bottom of the water area, there is a hole in the ground, which leads to the pipes, and the pipes bring you to an outer area, where it is being turned into acid.....

Originally posted by ZBomber

Yeh, I plan on making the rocks more curvey, but blocky too, and once I figure out where the pipe will go, I'll try to make it more of a circular shape, instead of a 9-Sided Polygon. :p

I dunno if you can see it good in the pics, but at the bottom of the water area, there is a hole in the ground, which leads to the pipes, and the pipes bring you to an outer area, where it is being turned into acid.....

instead of making it acid you could perhaps make it into boiling water. maybe even turn that into like ctf and combine the fire idea with the water idea. just a thought :p

Originally posted by InsaneSith

instead of making it acid you could perhaps make it into boiling water. maybe even turn that into like ctf and combine the fire idea with the water idea. just a thought :p

I like the CTF Idea, but in my opinion, they are too small for CTF Maps. They might even be too small for FFA, so I mgiht make them Duel.....

Boiling water might be good, how could I make it thoguh. Maybe add alittle gof above the water? :confused:

what i mean is like take both the maps. put them in the same map and add a little middle area and the fire can be red base and the water be the blue base :)

Yeh, but, I'd have to edit most of it. The Fire map is way smaller than the water Map. But MAYBE, I'll make a few maps, CTF, Duel (for each one) and FFA, each using the fir and Water Maps. Thanks for the ideas! :)

you could try to make some bubbling shaders for the boiling water then add in some fog to be steam. :)

perhaps you could even make a fire monster using the sandcreature :p. actually i think i might do that. make a lava monster... :)

Ooh, If you make one, send it to me, and I'll put it in the map. ^_^

Add the sound effect that sounds like its boiling. In jk2 it was slime.. ill look it up for JA...

ok, didnt find much... you might want to be a little sneaky, and use the slime sound effect from JK2. Im not sure if its legal or not, but it would be better (for boiling water, it sounded like boiling water)

You might want to put this sound in for a random effect (like one plays every 2 minutes)

sound\player\lava_land.mp3 i know it says sound/player (its when the player falls into lava) but you really cant tell. If you have it play every 2 minutes, it would make it sound like the water splattered or something, lava and water sound pretty close together, and in game while playing, i doubt anyone would notice it was a lava sound, if they could even tell.

Make fog for the steam. Its easier, and faster than creating a whole new .efx file. Also, try these .efx files, it would look pretty good... (im not sure how these look, im just guessing by there names) effects\volumetric\steam.efx effects\volumetric\steam_jet.efx

Also, for the fire map, make sure you add in lots of fire sound effects. It makes it a lot more realistic. there are plenty of fire sounds in the assets0.pk3 file.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

lol, i didnt play the sounds, i just saw fire1.mp3 fire2.mp3 flame_jet.mp3 :) Good luck Zbomber!

Thanks a ton. Very good suggestions, and I like the lava sound, which could be splashing Idea. :)

Also, expect some of the Snow Level pics in the next few days. ;)

And if I didn't already mention, this will be my first map released to the public. :)

yeah, i remember when you first started making maps Zbomber :D anyways, are these going to be in a map pack, or individual? Also, depending on what you want for the snow map, this might be useful. Say you want a mountainous area, with valleys (im not sure what you want, and if dont want to, you dont have to! Its just a suggestion) so, a mountainous area, with valleys, sort of like hoth... try this: Easy Gen

Dude, its the best way to make terrain. The best part about it is that it requires almost no work. Just simply make a greyscale .bmp, load it in easy gen, paint it, and your done! (well.. almost you'll see in the tutorial if your interested) it can be tough when your learning.. i had tons of problems, but in the end, it was worth it! And you can always add detail to it. It looks so awesome, and there were almost no maps in jk2 made using this technique that just this alone, with a skybox can pass for a whole map! Youlll barley use radiant at all. :D just a tip.

Can u put snow in MP maps (like its falling from the sky?)

yeah, i remember when you first started making maps Zbomber :D anyways, are these going to be in a map pack, or individual? Also, depending on what you want for the snow map, this might be useful. Say you want a mountainous area, with valleys (im not sure what you want, and if dont want to, you dont have to! Its just a suggestion) so, a mountainous area, with valleys, sort of like hoth... try this: Easy Gen

Dude, its the best way to make terrain. The best part about it is that it requires almost no work. Just simply make a greyscale .bmp, load it in easy gen, paint it, and your done! (well.. almost you'll see in the tutorial if your interested) it can be tough when your learning.. i had tons of problems, but in the end, it was worth it! And you can always add detail to it. It looks so awesome, and there were almost no maps in jk2 made using this technique that just this alone, with a skybox can pass for a whole map! Youlll barley use radiant at all. :D just a tip.

Can u put snow in MP maps (like its falling from the sky?)

Excellent, I was actually trying to find a good way to make mountains, since I couldn't get anyhtign to look good in Radiant. :)

You can get snow if you add a FX_Runner, and its just like the SP version. :)

EDIT - Yes, if they are released as FFA Maps, they will be released togetherm shouldn't be too hard, since they are basically small maps. :)

kool, glad you like it. If you need any help just ask :)

Yeh, I probably will. :p

I'll start doing it tommarow, I won't get much done if i start tonight. :)

Just wondering, what is a greyscale bmp? Like the Black and white option, I'm guesisng? I don't have photoshop on this PC, so all I have to work with At the moment is MSPaint.... :S

you dont need photoshop, ms paint will do nicley. Make sure your picture size is exaclty 33X33 (go to image, then click attributes, then change the width and the hight to 33 and 33) for the greyscale, its basically blask and white. Justy use different greys, black and white. the whiter it is, the higher it is. The blacker it is, the lower it is. 50% grey is exactly sea level (normal ground) what i do is, i make the edges mostly white (or close to it) that way your completly sorrounded by mountains... but it depends on what you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Add the sound effect that sounds like its boiling. In jk2 it was slime.. ill look it up for JA...

ok, didnt find much... you might want to be a little sneaky, and use the slime sound effect from JK2. Im not sure if its legal or not, but it would be better (for boiling water, it sounded like boiling water)

Yeah, that's perfectly legal. You can use sounds from any Raven game in any other Raven game as long it is noted in the readme file.

Archived