Home

SW UT 2003 Mod

Obi_Kwiet

It does look good, i must admit that it does...And they look like there putting alot of work into it but....

I fail to see how its going to be better than Jedi Academy developed by a Profesional team, ie :- Raven Software...

Star Wars isnt Star Wars without Lightsabers...didnt see one...:p

Perhaps I should have said potential. It dosen't have sabers yet, but it might and the graphics and level design are better and there will always be updates. In UT 2004 there is the possibilty of space combat. I see AT AT's (that are functional btw) But the thing is it has better graphics and there will be more and better weapons and vehicles. Also, when it is done there will be updates. The only campany that actualy expands their games for free is 1C the creators of IL2 (an exelnet WW2 flight sim I mgiht add). Raven can't even fix bugs because of the huge Lucasarts beaurocracy. It's having an open beta right now so any one with UT2k3 might be able to give us the real scoop. Oh, and if you want proof that a mod team can do better than campany just look and Desart combat for BF1942.

Originally posted by Tesla

Star Wars isnt Star Wars without Lightsabers...didnt see one...:p

Ummm... How's that? Ever play Rogue Squadron? Dark Forces? Bounty Hunter? Shadows of the Empire? Rebel Assault (1 and 2)? X-Wing? Ever heard of Republic Commando? (Which will be out the summer of 2004) Those titles all have no lightsabers. There are only a small handful of games that actually have them. (DF2, JO, JA, Galaxies, Obi Wan, KOTOR)

Sorry to say it but if a SW FPS mod is too good it will get the plug pulled on it by LA (aka "Foxed").

That's just how it is with liscensed stuff.

Or worse, it'll be in development hell and never get released (see Star Wars Quake/SW Quake II).

Not saying it is bound to fail (best of luck to them), but that's a major obstacle for SW mods on non liscensed engines...

Originally posted by Kurgan

Sorry to say it but if a SW FPS mod is too good it will get the plug pulled on it by LA (aka "Foxed").

That's just how it is with liscensed stuff.

Or worse, it'll be in development hell and never get released (see Star Wars Quake/SW Quake II).

Not saying it is bound to fail (best of luck to them), but that's a major obstacle for SW mods on non liscensed engines...

There was an Unreal mod contest a while back and this "Troopers" mod had entered, too bad they were not allowed due to the point Kurgan mentioned, but now I heard that the team has made an agreement with LA and they are ready for the 2nd contest coming up in a few weeks.

Ive played the 1st version of the mod(demo they call it), and it was unsuprising good. It was just some good old Star Wars blaster battles between the Imperials and the Rebels, and some of the effects are definately stunning, I love what they have done to the Yavin IV(Jedi Academy) level with the audience chamber, it is even superior to its equivilant in JA.

Yes and also it has the Unreal ragdoll physics instead of the Ghoul system. Im starting to think that its definatly a mistake for Raven to use the Q3 engine to make the game with.

Originally posted by killabilly

There was an Unreal mod contest a while back and this "Troopers" mod had entered, too bad they were not allowed due to the point Kurgan mentioned, but now I heard that the team has made an agreement with LA and they are ready for the 2nd contest coming up in a few weeks.

Ive played the 1st version of the mod(demo they call it), and it was unsuprising good. It was just some good old Star Wars blaster battles between the Imperials and the Rebels, and some of the effects are definately stunning, I love what they have done to the Yavin IV(Jedi Academy) level with the audience chamber, it is even superior to its equivilant in JA.

Yes and also it has the Unreal ragdoll physics instead of the Ghoul system. Im starting to think that its definatly a mistake for Raven to use the Q3 engine to make the game with.

Well I read that they emailed Lucas Arts and have gotten the go ahead to compete in the contest....It's weird but with the vehicle support (yes vehicles that are easy to steer) and good bot support it might be a good mod. Even though I love the Jedi Knight series I'm sorry to say that modification wise JA can't even hold a candle compared with the games that are going to be coming out especially UT2004. As for the whole lightsaber thing in SW UT2004 it can be done, go to planetunreal and look up Chaos UT2004's melee combat. The thing is JA excels in melee combat, with things like different katas and of course force powers JA is the king of melee combat games. All the modding community has to do is add a few unarmed combat moves and better vehicle support, like steering then JA might last long as DF2 modding wise.

Ummm... How's that? Ever play Rogue Squadron? Dark Forces? Bounty Hunter? Shadows of the Empire? Rebel Assault (1 and 2)? X-Wing? Ever heard of Republic Commando?

I LOVE all those games mentioned above, except Bounty Hunter, and Republic Commando(which I havent played of course)

But I think what Tesla was (perhaps) driving at is the Jedi Knight series is defined by the use of the saber. I think the q3 engine has produced some wonderful results in the case of these 2 games and their use of the saber. I played clone wars recently(PS2) and when I got to the part where you used sabers it just felt sickening not to have the dynamics and control you get in JO/JA. I havent even played Obi Wan so I cant comment on that.....

Sure that UT mod does look good. But if it is just a FPS sans the saber, then it would only be hardcore FPS fans that would get stuck into it.

There's alot of people out there, that are attracted to JO/JA simply because you can use the saber and the SP storyline of course. This includes myself, who otherwise doesnt give a toss about 98% of FPS games(the only other one I play is Elite forces, and mainly because I love 'Trek' too...)

So in this sense, it's just not the same without a saber...

But, to each their own, so if it ever does see the light of day(LA/LF are pretty good at shutting down things copyright wise), have a great time !!!! I'll probably be playing KOTOR at the time, obliivous....and running through JA SP *again* ...great replayability !

MTFBWYA

Lightsabers make StarWars as memorable and great as it is. Not to say the blasters don't have their place, but I don't think I could deal with not using a saber or atleast not having the option.

Also JA has vehicles. And they are easy to control and use IMO, plus the JA modding community is just getting started. A few months after the SDK is released we will start to see full on mods and TCs. ATATs will be easy to make and implement ingame. So while the mod looks neat it doesn't look better than JA and it won't be better than JA.

IMO once the first few mods come out for JA like Promod 4.0 and Forcemod 3.0 or other mods like those I doubt I will ask for anything more.

Plus I can't even play UT2003 until I get a new comp :p

I can't see Lucasarts shutting this Mod down, considering they came to an agreement with the Mod team, and gave them permission to use Star Wars 'assets'.

You have to remember that Lucasarts is also making a game using the Unreal engine - Republic Commando. It makes sense (to me at least) that they will start to support Mod crews using that engine producing Star Wars related content - because they are sure to allow mods of all kinds after that game is released.

Anyway...I've just reinstalled UT2K3, and I'd already downloaded the mod. Now I'll have to try it out. ;)

Have fun with the mod's demo, StormHammer. You can only use like 4 guns but it's fun anyways if you're playing with a few other people.

IMO, Troopers will be a lot better than JA in the guns aspect, as UT2K3 was made for guns. It won't have sabers but that's OK too since you don't see stormtroopers and rebel troops running around with lightsabers in the SW universe normally.

I can't comment on the vehicles since the demo doesn't provide vehicle usage but from what I've seen in UT2K3 (from the secret vehicle level), the vehicle controls are a lot easier than JA's.

From what I've heard, UT2K4 will be like 2k3 with an updated karma system, better netcode, new gametypes, tweaked guns, some added weapons (including the original UT sniper rifle :) but this time around, the fire rate will be nerfed and dual assault rifles) and some more vehicles, models (including Xan :D ), etc. But mods meant for 2k3 should be able to play on 2k4.

See what gets me is the people who diss JA saying it's just "Quake with lightsabers" but these same people will turn around and praise the UT2k3 mod as "better than JA."

I'd have to see how it PLAYS first before I'd judge it either way.

If LA are letting them go ahead and make it for fun, that's cool.

I just remembered how anal they were in the past about it, and assumed the worst (like how they shut down the Star Wars rune tc that was of course using the Unreal engine).

PS: I tried to download the demo but I kept being redirected to different pages and never started the file.... kinda weird. ; p

I read the reviews, so it sounds like they're in the clear, that's cool.

The focus of this mod is totally different than the JK series.. it's a team mod for Rebel Commandos vs. Stormtroopers (CTF, team deathmatch and domination basically).

I can download now, but it looks like I have to get it all in one shot (big file). Three maps (one for each gametype) two skins and two weapons per skin. Graphics look good, albeit a little cartoonish (not necessarily a bad thing).

The reviewers said the main problem was lack of servers and the aiming was kinda messed up, but it's still early in development (and a free mod).

It doesn't sound like it would conflict with Republic Commando because it's set in the classic trilogy era instead of the prequels.

Archived