Home

'Art of the Saber' fan film vs. JK2/JA *spoilers*

Kurgan

Originally posted by Kurgan

You mean the move where he crouches with legs splayed out (one in front, one in back) and one hand pointed forward, one pointed back?

IIRC I've seen Jet Li do that move in the movie "The One."

Just put two toy lightsabers in his hands and you've got it. I assumed it was a common martial arts "pose" (or figure, whatever they call it in the particular martial art), and these guys, maybe knowing something about martial arts just copied it with the sabers in hand.

Kurgan,

I this was directed towards me, I was talking about the Duel(gametype) either flourish or gloat with dual sabers.

The one were he spins the right saber(no handed) around the saber in his left and then catches it again.

:)

eniaC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by eniaC

Is it possible they are on the design team for the game(appologize in advance if thats a stupid question).

They worked on Star Wars Galaxies; Did some motion capturing for the Jedi. Raven actually contacted them about their film too if I remember correctly.

Motion Capture for JK2 & JA was doen by House Of Moves, says that in the credits...

I've just watched the fan film, and i have to say it's pretty impressive, and so is Duality mentioned above in a post....

I don't think they ripped of anybody, they got HOM to do the motion capture of moves they & LA thought was best for the Saber combat.

"Thats all i can think of at any rate." :D

HOM - House Of Moves

Originally posted by Kurgan

You mean the move where he crouches with legs splayed out (one in front, one in back) and one hand pointed forward, one pointed back?

That's called "Pa Bu" in Kung Fu. It's common in any school of kung fu, Northern or Southern.

I think the film is beautifully done and these guys are very good martial artists. The production is much lesser but these guys did a display of fighting that is as good as Maul vs Qui-Gon/Obi Wan. They worked really hard to nail the moves and it looked believable.

As far as it all goes, these guys haven't done anything that hong kong cinema hasn't done before. I think lightsabers make it much more exciting and flashier looking. Most of the flashy stances and such are taken from modern Wushu which is a flashier, less practical modification to Kung Fu.

I have re-watched AotS, having dug it out from the depths of my HD ! Its obvious one of the Ho Brothers(at least) has martial arts training, most likely kendo amongst other things. A post on theforce.net has informed me that Calvin Ho(the fight choreographer in AotS) was brought in by Lucasarts to work with motion capture for GALAXIES. It is perhaps probable that this motion capture data would have been used in JA...... would love to have this confirmed though....

If it is a load of bull, then I dont think anyone should waste their precious time worrying about it too much ! There obviously seems to be some martial arts element involved, whether the 'House of Moves' team used Calvin Ho is subject to speculation !

MTFBWYA

Hello,

I am one of the creators of Art of the Saber and found this link from the forum on TFN. So I thought I would just stop by and give my input on the matter.

As far as Jedi Academy goes, we did NOT play any direct role in the martial arts of the game. We did however recieve a number of e-mails from various developers of the game earlier in the year praising the film. They informed us that the movie "inspired" them and that they incorporated a number of things from the movie into the game. However, since I do not play the game, I have no idea what moves nor how many moves they actually used from our movie. And as many mentioned, much of the moves are standard kung fu/wushu moves. So whether they took a specific move from our little movie or another movie, only the developers would know. Hey! If any developer is reading this right now, you guys promised us a signed copy of the game by the development team! I would like that sent ASAP please :)

As far as Star Wars Galaxies goes, I did some motion capturing for the enhancement to be released in January. I did not do any mo-capping for the originally Galaxies currently being played. For Galaxies, the Art Director actually e-mailed us after watching AOTS and asked if we could help them with their combat. We captured almost 300 new moves from simple blocks to 5 hit jedi combos. It was a pretty cool experience.

Thats about it. Anyway, even tho these large development companies have resources to mo-cap, its not inconcievable that they would find someone off the street thats really just a nobody. Believe it or not, these guys are really just down to earth people like everyone else. Actually their pretty goofy... in a fun way. :)

IMO,

Both the guys in this movie where experianced martial artists. Just watch the thing, they have some crazy moves you don't just pull off cause your bored and you have a video camera. Thus is we see such moves in JA, well guess who they hired to help them make the fighting in this game, experianced martial artists. Thus we must assume that these two young men studied a style(or styles) close to the people that helped create the JA fighting system.

Also, I want to thank everyone who posted fan movies and such. I enjoyed them quite a bit ^_^

D_P

Well, I got another question:

Who's the Sith and who's the Jedi?

The guy with the staff is the aggressor the way I see it.

The single-sabered seems to be the good one cause he wrote that letter and is more defensive - using a red saber, which, in a normal SW movie would indicate a Dark Jedi or Sith.

The staffy wins.

So, does the Jedi or the Sith win?

I guess the dual saber guy is the Sith and the guy that gets killed in the Jedi. Although, I really just see it as 2 warriors fighting: 2 people that respect each other and just happen to fight for different causes (like in the Civil war where even brothers fought one another). As far as the color of the sabers, we really just picked colors that we thought would stand out in the background. The fact the single saber jedi is wearing black and has a red saber did not mean to us that he was a sith. In fact I always thought it was silly the way siths can only have red sabers and jedis could only have blue, green, or purple. Who makes those rules up? I mean, if youre a sith and you happen to want a blue saber and wear a pink robe, are you laughed at by all the other siths. Is it peer pressure that makes them all use red and wear black or is a law passed down by the emperor? Same goes for the Jedis? Who says jedis cant wear old sweatpants and shades :p

Oh as far as making another one goes, we may do one next summer. I just need to find a actress that knows how to act, knows some martial arts, that lives in Maryland, is fairly cute, and happens to want to be in a home made movie. :p

Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

I was just wondering how you found this post...I mean, seeing as you don't have JA.

BTW, the film is great. I think it's the best saber combat one out there.

From nivlak's post

...and found this link from the forum on TFN.

Anyways, AotS is a fine piece of work, whether or not it was used in JA.

However, there will always be that speculation lingering.

I don't know what else has been said in this thread but...

JA IS based on some AOTS moves. stuff like winning a sabever lock but having your opponent twirl his saber round yours come straight out of the film. Raven emailed the Ho brothers telling them how much of an inpiration they were and that they would get a free copy of JA.

The Ho brothers are now doing mo-cap for Galaxies.

That proves nothing... .show me your source for claims that Raven emailed the authors and said they were inspired (not just hearsay on a fan forum).

That thread didn't prove one way or the other that they were working for LucasArts (there seemed to be some disagreement over whether their stuff made it into Galaxies or not) and whether or not those same moves were used for JA. Anyway, I thought there were no Jedi in Galaxies? Did the Ho Brothers motion capture moves into a LucasArts game for lightsaber combat or not?

Last time I checked the "Ho Brothers" didn't invent those moves they were using and they didn't invent saber locks.

As I said before, all they did was put lightsabers in their hands and do moves that have been around for quite awhile.

IF we had a statement from Raven that they were inspired and deliberately used moves they saw in Art of the Saber, THAT would prove your argument (of course it would negate the accusation of "stealing" or "ripping off") and it would make just as much sense as the Penny Arcade comic that was posted anyway.

Still, I might as well accuse the Ho Brothers of ripping off modern martial arts & sword fighting movies. Right?

I believe they are going to add the Jedi class in in a an X-Pack for Galaxies, same with Starships...i don't have it, thats what i've heard...Can someone confirm that ?

I don't think anyones ripping of anyone, Imitation is the something form of Flattery.....hehe, got that from a Fan Film as well :p

The INVINCIBLE(and seemingly/possibly angry :p) KURGAN said

That proves nothing... .show me your source for claims that Raven emailed the authors and said they were inspired (not just hearsay on a fan forum).

Firstly kids , I AM AT7 ! (There's an ESB moment for ya) I put that post up on TFN to get some info as the Ho brothers were not directly contactable.....sheesh

But I think Nivlak(whoops is that KALVIN backwards !!) has answered most of this - thanks to him for chiming in !!! Its cool that MY thread on TFN got him to post here :) (i linked it here after all....)

anyways, I dont think the argument is about <x> ripping <y> off, even to someone as silly as me you can tell theres alot of standard martial arts stuff in there. All I would like to know is that who was the model for the motion cap(evidently done by 'House of Moves) for JA....and was it Calvin Ho.... ?? If so it would be cool to know what martial arts styles he has studied....

This doesnt mean he invented saber locks for pete's sake !!! Hey you can watch a Douglass Fairbanks silent swashbuckler from the 1920s and there's saberlocks in that !

Uh-Oh ! Does that mean Douglass Fairbanks invented saberlocks !!

Raven ripped DF off man !!!(say out loud with much sarcasm and/or outrage)

In the meantime, listen to KURGAN -

As I said before, all they did was put lightsabers in their hands and do moves that have been around for quite awhile.

Exactly.

MTFBWYA

Also, for "Nivlak", if that is you Calvin, great work on AotS !!

Originally posted by nivlak

I guess the dual saber guy is the Sith and the guy that gets killed in the Jedi. Although, I really just see it as 2 warriors fighting: 2 people that respect each other and just happen to fight for different causes

I just thought that I had read the jedi/sith-thing somewhere...

and I was curious about it...thanks for the info.

Archived