Home

Why consider JA a FPS?

Jaden X

I mean, you will mostly use the lightsaber/dual saber/lightstaff, and you can't use them in first person. They made the lightsaber (and weapons like that) too powerful, and too many jedi to fight with guns. And you can change to 3rd person, too.

And they took out the mission that you couldn't use the lightsaber (heard that it still has 1, but it's not 5 like in JO)...

BTW I'm posting MY opinion, and I doubt I will change yours.

It's considered an FPS cause of the First Person Guns, you have the option to play with a saber in third person or play with guns in FPS or TPS. ;)

I sometimes play SP with guns only, its alot harder against reborn with two sabers coming at you, but i have the skills to evade them. ;)

Originally posted by Jaden X

BTW I'm posting MY opinion, and I doubt I will change yours.

We wouldn't be here but to express opinions - and hopefully we don't always agree - that is the fun of it. So long as we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable, then everything is cool.

Genre's are generalisms, and generalisms are generally wrong ... in music, movies, and games, amongst others. Louis Armstrong called Charlie Parker 'Chinese music', and Ornette's stuff was referred to as 'not even music, let alone jazz' ... but what does that matter? Not much.

The FPS genre is a big place, big enough for all of us ... there is a bigger difference from games like Oni or Spiderman than to games like Elite Force II.

It is clearly an Action game, not a RTS or RPG or certainly a MMORPG or a sim, puzzle or anything else. FPS works for me, but it purely a label.

Mike

post-5-1068867580.jpg

i think that answers the question.

the game is built as a FPS w/ 3rd person lightsaber and option for guns.

the series has always been FPS.

creating a character does not make it an rpg. in every game you play you will play as someone. that is your role. in doom you played a space marine, and it was your role. that doesn't make it an rpg, does it? no.

the ability to choose your character in elite force made that game an rpg, right? no.

those features are for immersion purposes. if they weren't there, then you wouldn't really like games that much, would you?

FPS is as good a category as any other. If they were to take out first-person guns, then maybe it could be relabelled as a 3rd person action game.

With cross-genre polination, though, I think categories are less important, these days. I don't care what category they want to use for it, because I know what the game does, how it plays, and that's good enough for me.

JA will fall into the FPS category for want of a better description. It has a first person mode, and uses the q3 engine, so its not terribly inaccurate to call it an fps. I myself hardly use first person mode, and even if i switched to guns, i always go into 3rd person mode, as the character animations are pretty, especially with my mara jade skin..... :p

...and since you arent walking around talking to everyone on screen via speech balloons you cant call it an RPG, and since your not flying around in a starfighter all the time you cant call it a flight sim !!

ef2 in comparison is more of true fps, as the 3rd person mode is just crappy, the character runs like natalie portman in AOTC.... but obviously the devs didnt want to think about it too much, which is why 3rd person mode can only be accessed via console...

I think JA is definitely unique, 'cause of the saber of course, so a truly accurate description of it would be a TPS - third person saber game

Nice to read what others think though !

MTFBWYA

Archived