Home

shredded-human-flesh-milkshake

Mr.Burger

Originally posted by Alien426

Like V2 rockets, nukes and Pop Idol?

Yeah, and don't forget The Simpsons, US belligerence, starvation, AIDS, etc. No, seriously, quantum physics, genetic engineering, stuff like that. Or I could just go a few years back in my own life and tell myself to stop being such a wuss with the girls.

I took the PSAT, they told us the SAT is optional as all the colleges in this area only take the ACT scores anyway. Their not really that different, just different scoring techniques mostly. Like on the SAT if you get a question wrong they subtract from your positive score. ACTs you can guess all you want, and it can't hurt you negatively.

Ok, now I'm confused. Could some of you yanks clear this out for me? How come you have several tests? Are they different level, overlapping, what? What do they consist of?

In where I come from, everybody does the YO-tests at the end of lukio (highschool). It includes finnish and at least 3 of the following:

Math (advanced or intermediate, up to you)

Swedish

1 foreign language (most have chosen it to be english, like me)

"Real-test" (crappy translation, consists of all the other subjects besides languages and math, like biology, physics, history & social science, chemistry, philosophy, psychology, religion and geography)

And most of the important international languages, like german, french, russian, spanish and italian.

In the "real-test" you can choose which subjects' questions you answer. I'm going to concentrate on physics and history, and do finnish, swedish, english, german and math as well.

Ok, there are two different tests you can take in high school to try to convince colleges to accept you. They are the ACT and the SAT. In some schools you can take the practice tests called the PLAN test or the PSATs late in your 2nd year or early in your 3rd year. They are just to give you some sense of what the real tests will be like, your scores on them have no actual bearing.

The ACT is used primarily by colleges in the mid-west and I think the east cost. It's broken up into sections of English, Math, Reading, Science & Reasoning. The score is figured by adding the number you have correct. Wrong answers don't count against you. There's time limits for each section, and many people have trouble finishing in the time, and it is encouraged to guess to hopefully get some last points right. Your total score is figured to give you a number up to 36. around 18 being standard for many college admissions.

The SAT is used by colleges in the west and maybe more, not really sure. I never took this oneso I don't know as much about it, but I took the practice one so I'll give it a shot. It's broken done similarly into categories wach with a time limit. However here the scoring is done something like 1 point for every right answer, 0 points for an unanswered question and -1/4 points for every wrong answer. People taking it are encouraged not to answer questions they don't know the answer to or don't have time to answer before time is up(no guessing). Scores are given in like the 4000s or something, this I really have no idea about, and could be wrong about. Somebody help me out.

Reading and science & reasoning? Sounds a wee bit easy. And by the looks of it, I'd guess you have multiple choice questions, right? If it's so, I should be envious, since we don't have any. In here it's essays everywhere, in every subject ("Analyze the language used by Jean-Paul Sartre in the following excerpt." or "Kirchhoff laws", stuff like that). Try writing 8 of them in 6 hours.

Archived