Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a screenshot showing some of my work with the .git files.

It's the Upper City Cantina on Taris with GIT data overlayed.

The image is generated by taking the map image and quadrupling the size and using it as a background. My code then reads the .git file data and draws a 3x3 dot for each point. The labels were added in an image editor.

Show in the image are the locations of creatures, placeable items, waypoints, sounds, doors, map notes and trigger geometries.

The hardest part so far is getting the game coordinates to map to the image. Basically, you have to scale them by ~11.08 and add an offset so they show up in the right place. On this image, they're close, but not right on.

GIT data overlayed on map

I have to experiment with other map/GIT combinations to make sure that the code always works.

WHOA! Sweet. I have been thinking of how this specific thing could be done and I also thought the best way would be to use the game maps(atleast until there is a way to render an area outside of the game) But sinse I don't know how to program I didn't even consider doing it myself.

Is it possible to have x,y,z coords displayed when the map is moused over. The main thing stopping me from making any area mods is the amout of coords I would have to get from inside the game. The biggest things that are needed are being able to place waypoints, trigger areas, obejects, and NPC's. Being able to draw trigger geometry and way points is very important.

Do you know if the trigger geometry areas are used for creature encouters or is that a sepparate thing similar to Triggers?

This is really cool Fred. Is the veiwer capable of loading any git right now or just the upper Taris Cantina. I would love to get my hands on it if I could load up any area .git. :D

The way it is currently implemented, I have to export a map with KT, resize it in an external paint program and save it, then I have to align and scale the image to the data from the .git file. The last step takes quite a bit of time, as you have to know which things are where on the original map, and make sure they show up in approximately the right place. Also, many maps have different scales in the .git; Taris Cantina is has a scale of "24" while Dantooine (m13aa) has one of "50". I can open any .GIT and see where things are, but that's the extent of it today.

Basically, the aforementioned steps would have to be done for each map, which will be rather tedious and time consuming.

Since the maps are 2D and there isn't anyway of getting the elevation (Z) from the models today, I couldn't show the Z value for the map, only for the item.

I'll keep you all posted as things progress.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

Since the maps are 2D and there isn't anyway of getting the elevation (Z) from the models today, I couldn't show the Z value for the map, only for the item.

I'll keep you all posted as things progress.

So is the data laidout on a grid or is it a matter of over laying the output data over the map. I could help you out with resizing the maps it is tedious ,but sounds easy enough to do.

I had a thought, would it be possible to calculate the space in the area models. Im thinking it might be difficult as the models still remain uncracked. *does that make sense*

What I would want to do is to know the coords for every meter of walkable space in the areas. it would make placeing things much easyer.

New version released - v1.0.1530.39101 (2004-4-11)

Highlights:

* Open and Edit UTI (Item) files

* Open and Edit the Global Variables Table for saved games

You can download this new version from the links on the first post.

Enjoy!

Fred

Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

Hmmm, I don't know maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to access new items created and placed in the override folder with the Character(utc) editor(say with a browse feature at the bottom of the inventory editor list) and equipt it on a character?

you can add a custom item to the equipe list by double clicking the equip icons. and if you want to add a custom item to the inventory just drag and drop any item into the inventory list and rename it to your custom items ResRef(usually the same as the items Tag and file name)

Just in case that was tossed my way in reference to my comment about coffee...

I didn't in any way mean that as a flame or attack. It was just a joke, and for those of us who've been into computers (especially programming) for a long time, it's fairly well known.

It was actually aimed more at Fred than anyone else, as something tells me he's heard that rather old joke somewhere in the past given all his programming experience and the like.

Again, sorry if it was misread. I certainly didn't mean for anyone to take it as a flame or insult.

-Kitty

seeing i cant get the forums to work proberly today ...

ill just cut and paste the problem here , gah

"I cant get the Kotor Tool to work. I am using a new install of win xp. I get critical errors and then it just closes.."

first Q : have you downloaded and installed the .NET files from microsoft ?

if not , go get them ,a link is in the sticky above from Kitty with the list of downloads

if you have it installed then have you also gone andput the other programes in tot he same folder , ie the gff editor , erf editor and the tpc2tga programs that you would need to edit files

if no go to the same sticky above and go get them

if you have it installed then have you also gone andput the other programes in tot he same folder , ie the gff editor , erf editor and the tpc2tga programs that you would need to edit files

if no go to the same sticky above and go get them

I was wondering how folks were using an .erf editor and which one they were using. On the offhand chance that someone thinks Kotor Tool requires one to perform it's .erf extractions / viewing / building, it doesn't.

Also, now that you can save files as TGA from the image viewer window, most folks probably won't need tpc2tga either, unless they're exporting right from the tree view.

Here's a link to an image showing the module editor as it stands today:

Module Editor Screenshot

I can now show when I'm inside a trigger and on an item when mousing over them. I can also show the location of the cameras use for stunts (in game rendered cinematics). The facing of objects is also show by the white lines on them.

The data at the bottom of the screen was shown when I moused over the man in the lower right of the map.

Can you only move exsisting things in the git or can you add stuff too. It will be cool when the editor gets to the point where we can add creatures, placables, trigger areas and way points.

Keep it comming Fred that is some great work, without KT modding would be almost impossible for many people. Without KT I probly would have given up long ago :)

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

Here's a link to a screen recording showing the module editor in action as it stands today:

Module Editor In Action (479 KB)

It's not much to look at, but one can actually move the items around and they're updated in the GFF data at the same time. After saving the data back to the .git file, you can see your changes in the game.

i downloaded this and when i tried to open it up all i got was a windo that said "OK" "CANCEL" if i click OK that same little window opens up two more times and then it tells me "an error occured while unzipping, one or more files were not succesfully unzipped. the error code is 110" i dont really know what it means, or really what program that is, but man, i am crazy looking forward to the module editor, especially if it lets us add new creatures and items, cause that is gonna make my life about a billion times easier with this manaan sans evirosuit mod which confounds me at every turn. any idea how soon this new feature will be available? no rush, just curious

Archived