Home

OT: Save Sam and Max!!!

tobywilliams

I'm sure everyone has heard that Freeland Police has been cancelled by lucas arts (more detailed info on adventuregamers.com : http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=331) . There is a move to voice our opinions. Please sign the petition thats going around and more importantly send an email to lucas arts and let them know how you feel. here are the links:

Petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/LACOSAM/petition.html

Lucas Arts email:

pr@lucasarts.com

Lets get Sam and Max Back!!!

Originally posted by pbguy1211

Good ridance

:eyeraise:

HOW!?!? HOW?!?! HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT ABOUT SAM AND MAX!?!?

:max::sam:

Look at these faces!!! How can you not love them?

Have you ever even PLAYED Sam and Max?

*shakes head sadly*

what has happened to the world? Has it been desensitized that badly?

:fist:

Originally posted by Tie Guy

What? Why? Why? What is the problem? This game would definately turn a profit.

Actually the reason they stated was that they basically thought it wouldn't sell. They announced that is what may possibly be the shortest press release in history...

I personally sent them an email yesterday, and I signed the petition. Here's the email I sent:

To whoever is concerned,

This email will be short and to the point: I am alarmed. Many of the recent marketing and development decisions at LucasArts have hinted at a serious lack of knowledge of the gaming community from the people responsible for these decisions. LucasArts is a game company. The least you should do is have an idea of what your target audience wants. I am very disappointed in the cancellation of Sam and Max 2. I simply cannot understand this idiotic decision.

LucasArts was made famous by its funny adventure games. I still cherish the memories of playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, the entire Monkey Island series, and my favourite game of all time: Grim Fandango. While it is true that graphical adventure games do not sell as much as your average run-of-the-mill Star Wars game, they can still turn up a respectable profit.

You must keep in mind that monetary profit is not the only thing you can gain from releasing a graphical adventure: it keeps alive the loyalty of your most dedicated fans; the ones that have been there since the days of Lucasfilms Games. By cancelling Sam and Max 2, you have alienated the vast majority of these fans. You are now experiencing a huge backlash from your most beloved communities of gamers as a consequence of this poor decision. And there is only one thing to be said about this:

You had it coming.

I sincerely hope that LucasArts will right its own wrongs, one day. Until then, however, I am no longer going to play one of your future games (not even the *gasp* Star Wars ones) until you release a good graphical adventure game. But I am not holding my breath.

By the way, I'm not kidding about boycotting them. Bye bye Lucasarts, it was fun while it lasted.

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

By the way, I'm not kidding about boycotting them. Bye bye Lucasarts, it was fun while it lasted.

Dude :eek:

Don't you think that's a little extreme?

I mean I can understand the petition and the email, but boycotting ALL lucasarts games, even KOTOR2 or a JK4? Wow, you're dedicated.

As for me, I sadly have never played any of the sam & max games, but do realize they must be awesome as we have an entire community dedicated to them. Here's hoping Lucasarts reverses this decision or one-ups themselves somehow.

Originally posted by Darth Homer

Dude :eek:

Don't you think that's a little extreme?

I mean I can understand the petition and the email, but boycotting ALL lucasarts games, even KOTOR2 or a JK4? Wow, you're dedicated.

It's not heartbreaking for me. I was bitterly disappointed by Jedi Academy, and while KOTOR was fun, I don't have any hopes for the sequel. I just couldn't care less about LEC anymore... adventure games were the reason I loved that company in the first place.

I'm here for the Star Wars side so I don't mind its loss. :D

But still, why cancel it? LucasArts isn't all about Star Wars! I can't believe they released Armed&Dangerous and Wrath Unleashed while they cancel this game. It's a shame the guy who was leading LEC(can't remember his name), yeah the guy who made all the good decisions and revamped LEC since JK:JO left.

My guess is that there's a lot more to the story that the press release is letting on.

On the other hand: There are few things more powerful and unstoppable in the universe than the power of a guy in a suit with a PowerPoint presentation that ends in a lot of really large, ugly, red numbers.

LECs non-Star Wars titles haven't been flying off the shelves lately. The bottom line always matters,.. even in game companies. Maybe this title just looked too risky... that it's been too long since the last one.

Personally, I think they would have sold a lot of copies. But at some point in the life of any product, especially if there's a snag in production, it gets looked at to see if the potental profit from estimated sales figures does or doesn't exceed the cost of continued production,.. then the plug gets pulled or not.

You know, I thought of the WEIRDEST metaphor for this whole Lucasarts thing, but it works. But here it is:

Final Fantasy 8

A little weirded out? Well, let me explain: In FF8 the country of Galbadia, which is doing okay, is taken over by an Evil Sorceress

who is really a good one being possesed by an evil one

and the country goes down the crapper.

Now let's say Lucasarts is a "Country" being run by competent management, they crank out games that people like and rarely make questionable decisions. Now enter that new guy (whatever the hell his name is), and we have stuff like "Wrath Unleashed" and "Armed and Dangerous" released, while both Full Throttle and Sam and Max meet their death knell.

Me thinks this is all a complicated scheme to achieve Time Compression!

I don't know why the **** I thought of that metaphor

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

I can't believe they released Armed&Dangerous and Wrath Unleashed while they cancel this game.

HEY!

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW, MISTER LUKEIAMYOURDAD!!! :mad: :mad:

YOU TAKE IT BACK!

YOU.. YOU JUST TAKE IT BACK!

A&D owns your ASS! :mad:

Archived