Home

Trojan Horses in the Pop-ups?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admins know of the problem, but I'm not sure if it's as easy as that, there may be a termination fine (no, I know that's the wrong term) for us to close our contract with UGO. Plus, it's technically not UGO's fault, it's hackers that have hacked into UGO's ads and thrown trojans on before they're sent out to websites. It's one of the easiest ways to hack a system considering unlike with emails, you don't have any say in whether you get to see such ads or not, they're just there.

But yeah, it's hard to really find the source of the problem and deal with it. a year or so's time, Google ads will be infected, then we'd have to find a new ad distributer. It'll keep going, the only chance we actually have is to deal with it ourselves and not complain to everyone when the slightest thing goes wrong because nine times out of ten, any website out there will have such ads that will try to infect your system and it's your fault if you don't have a decent firewall or popup blocker to stop them, despite some good free ones available on the web.

Joshi - Thats the thing. i don't want to worry about trojans, hackers, etc every time I visit a website I enjoy going to. I'm not blaming the admins, but they never really TOLD us they talked to UGO, they just said they would. So, if you did, tell us what happened, if not, please do it soon.

BTW - There are ways to get through firewalls you know.....

This is troubling.

I will contact UGO about this tomorrow and demand a status as to possible infections with their ad code.

If this is not addressed adequately by them... or I am not satisfied with their response.... OR the ads continue to create these issues, I will pull UGO from our ad sponsor list.

I will keep you all informed.

-Ari

Originally posted by Aristotle

This is troubling.

I will contact UGO about this tomorrow and demand a status as to possible infections with their ad code.

If this is not addressed adequately by them... or I am not satisfied with their response.... OR the ads continue to create these issues, I will pull UGO from our ad sponsor list.

-Ari

Thank you, that's very good news. :)

This severity of this vulnerability is considered to be critical.

Yay is me.

Seriously, I don't wanna be an ass, but as admins, it's your responsibilty to make sure the users of your forum are safe. Why should people keep coming here if you obviously don't really care about us, since you're practically supporting malicious ads that could damage our computers.

What would your mothers say?! [/rant]

Originally posted by Aristotle

This is troubling.

-Ari

I kind of think they are doing something.

As past experiances have proved, it's not too easy to get in touch with UGO staff when complaints are involved. You can't really blame this fully on the admin who have enough to worry about without this little problem which it seems only a small percentage of the general population of the forum seem to have as apose to the rest who seemed to have dealt with it in their own way.

Pop-up blockers don't stop it. I tried about 3, and the virus got through all of them.

And now, I'm really worried because Norton subscription expired, and I won'tr be able to renew it until I get money, so if I get any viruses, I'm doomed.

No need really, AVG is one of the best free virus software around, it may not be as good as norton, but it does have regular updates and so on and tends to find viruses.

Anyway, have you tried a spybot or something incase of spyware? that may help a lot.

Originally posted by Joshi

No need really, AVG is one of the best free virus software around, it may not be as good as norton, but it does have regular updates and so on and tends to find viruses.

Anyway, have you tried a spybot or something incase of spyware? that may help a lot.

I even bought a Spyware Remover. The ad has nothing to do with Spyware.

And, I don't mind really. Sometimes, they have a rebate for Norton, and when you send it in, it ends up to cost about 5-10 dollars, so I'll just wait for that. ;)

Archived