Home

What makes battlefront unique?

Dont listen to Preacher,for some reason no one over there gives me any credit for stopping the spam,they just assume im gonna ruin their boards again.

So mods,please dont keep an eye on me,its all biased opinion,I got kicked from their IRC channel for saying that im done playing GC :rolleyes:

And what I said really isnt an opinion,it was facts.

I just made a list of things that are improved/better than in the mod.So what?If its the truth then how am I a smacktard.

Originally posted by BurnsU

Dont listen to Preacher,for some reason no one over there gives me any credit for stopping the spam,they just assume im gonna ruin their boards again.

That's a new one. You mean to tell me that no one thought to congratulate you when you stopped spamming?! No way!

lol, that's like saying, "OMG, you're gonna blame me for the smell, but I don't get a pat on the back for flushing?!"

Or, "Hey, now that your car's wrecked, at least I won't need to borrow it anymore!"

I don't know if this is just me or not, but I find that all the mods I played with jam packed units ect. They get boring really fast especially when you can tell they were rushed just to add another unit to the list. I'd prefer 10 great units than 100 average ones.....

Originally posted by VanLingo

That's a new one. You mean to tell me that no one thought to congratulate you when you stopped spamming?! No way!

lol, that's like saying, "OMG, you're gonna blame me for the smell, but I don't get a pat on the back for flushing?!"

Or, "Hey, now that your car's wrecked, at least I won't need to borrow it anymore!"

Actually I meant it more along the line of them not banning me on sight from their IRC channel,once I was in there for 30 minutes before a mod noticed me,I didn't do anything in those 30 minutes but still got banned,hell I didn't even talk.

But lets not turn this topic into a basher sanctuary.:)

Originally posted by VanLingo

What makes Battlefront unique is not necessarily the gameplay, but more the fact that it's Star Wars. Nothing will ever touch that.

If this game is half as decent as Bounty Hunter, The Clone Wars, Dark Forces, Shadows of the Empire, or any of the Rebel Assaults or Rogue Squadrons, then I'm probably gonna love it.

The above listed were never really breakthrough or original games, but they had the music, the characters, and the epic scale of Star Wars. That's what I love.

-- Lingo

I agree wholeheartedly. Those are exactly my feelings on the game.

Preacher- Your original post did sound kind of "SWBF is nothing but a rip off." I thought maybe you didn;t mean it that way, and apparently I was right. I see your point, it's just so easy for tone of voice to be lost when voice isn't actually part of the communication.

my apologies also must extend to the thread starter, i had no intention of turning this in to a quasi GC versus SWBF thread, and i apologise that it went off topic from the original posters intentions.

i think i shall stick to reading this forum instead of posting to avoid any further off topic, wars :)

thx

Preacher

Originally posted by [GCDev]Preacher

my apologies also must extend to the thread starter, i had no intention of turning this in to a quasi GC versus SWBF thread, and i apologise that it went off topic from the original posters intentions.

i think i shall stick to reading this forum instead of posting to avoid any further off topic, wars :)

thx

Preacher

apologies accepted :D

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that there is very little new ground covered in this game. That doesn't mean that it won't be a fun game however. I just wish this was built for the PC then ported to consoles instead of vice versa. Look at games like Grand Theft Auto that were built for consoles and then ported to the PC. Absolute garbage.

Originally posted by fishlore

I agree that there is very little new ground covered in this game. That doesn't mean that it won't be a fun game however.

I second that.

I just wish this was built for the PC then ported to consoles instead of vice versa.

SW:BF isn't ported from console to pc. It's being developed simultaniously for both pc and consoles. Now I can understand that might result in a game that has a little less quility. Yet, you don't hear me complaining untill I actually play the game and see for myself.

Look at games like Grand Theft Auto that were built for consoles and then ported to the PC. Absolute garbage.

I had lots of good fun with GTA for PC. I actually never played it on console. Perhaps I like it because I have nothing to compare 'GTA-for-PC' with ;)

as for my opinion what makes SW:BF unique: It makes it unique because it's the first game that combines the war-gameplay of BF with the Star Wars theme while being developed by proffesionals (mind that last :) ).

Stingray I agree on all counts. Especially about not complaining about anything until I play it.

My concern was that by developing with consoles in mind at all, the overall quality level will be much lower than if this was built purely for the PC.

That is the same opinion I have of GTA. It was a fun game on the PC. I enjoyed it very much. This one happened to be built for PS2 first and foremost though. As a result the PC product was not nearly what it could have been had it been designed first and foremost for the PC.

Consoles simply can't compete. PC users as a result will suffer if this SW Battlefront development trend continues.

What makes battlefront unique?

One aspect of any game that makes it unique is its ability to create an atmosphere within the game that can be described as being real to the player. There are other aspects that influence the uniqueness of a game, but in the case of Battlefront this seems to be most relevant.

Does the player experience gameplay that can be uniquely identified with that particular game?

Just about every game I've seen accomplishes this to some extent. The inevitable comparison here is between Battlefield 1942 and Battlefront. Specifically, people will want to compare BF1942: Galactic Conquest mod with Star Wars Battlefront.

BF1942:GC doesn't have a Star Wars license. They were also restricted from integrating original Star Wars scores into their game. In other words they can't integrate any famous Star Wars soundtrack music into their game. They also are restricted from including Jedi and other copyrighted characters in their product.

GC requires that a player buy BF1942, but is free to install.

Star Wars: Battlefront has a Star Wars license. They will include authentic Star Wars music in their game. They will also include copyrighted characters from the movies, as well as famous neutral characters like Jawas, Sand People, Ewoks and Jedi.

SWBF is a retail product and may cost more than BF1942.

Like any two games, the gameplay will be different.

What I've heard about BF1942:GC is that there are many glitches in gameplay, and there are only a few servers running the mod.

That may change with time. Due to the fact that SWBF will be released commercially, I expect that it will have more servers and less glitches than BF1942:GC.

SWBF is shaping up to be a game with a great Star Wars ambience, and that is important to me. If I play a WWII game, it better look, play and feel like WWII. If I play a Star Wars game it better look, play and feel like Star Wars. So far SWBF looks like it will provide that experience.

If someone gave me BF1942 I might install it and try GC, but if I had to purchase a game I would buy SWBF.

Idei

having played galactic conquest, i would have to say that it is indeed a fun game, but you're right, it just seems that something is missing in terms of making it star warsy. I mean it is but a lot of the weapons in the mod don't feel like star wars weapons, plus the fact that a lot of people don't play it kind of kills it for me. Also the lack of a SP campaign just makes me not want to play with the lack of players online. A lot of work went into the mod, though and it has its merits, besides the glitches. I think it can be great if they improve the gameplay a bit.

Archived