Home

Cliff...

Druid Bremen

Originally posted by Jedi_Vogel

I apologise, it wasn't meant to be a personal comment, so I'm sorry if I caused offence.

Lol no problem, I'm okay with it too. No hard feelings.

Keshire, actually I did not mean to make anybody make a model of what I wanted. I only asked if there was a good way to make it myself besides wasting days of brushwork, or finding it from the Internet. I've tried asking some stuff on the requests forum, but I've given up hope on that, as people usually only work on popular skins and whatnot, instead of boring models like the one I need. Thanks anyway...

How about trying gensurf, one of the plugins for GTK Radiant? It's a little bit of a pain to get to grips with at first, but it does offer up some interesting results if you play around with it. I spent a couple of days learning it and created a passable rocky canyon thingy, shortly after getting GTK. Its results are brush based, mind you.

Rgoer wrote a really detailed tutorial on using EasyGen here , I don't know much about that program aside from the fact that it is used for terrain creation.

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of drawbacks to using model based terrain, big performance hits for one. Not that terrain generators don't have their problems.

Originally posted by Kengo

How about trying gensurf, one of the plugins for GTK Radiant? It's a little bit of a pain to get to grips with at first, but it does offer up some interesting results if you play around with it. I spent a couple of days learning it and created a passable rocky canyon thingy, shortly after getting GTK. Its results are brush based, mind you.

Well, I tried Gensurf too, but all it seemed to do for me was create mountaineous terrain. What I need is not terrain, but a tall vertical rock block, something like those natural pillars.

Wedge, those are pretty much what I need, but does anybody know how to re-texture the models?

The reason why I am turning to models is because I do not have/do not know the techniques to make such a thing with brushes alone. How realistic would it look? Maybe it would look better with patch meshes, but once again, I'm not familiar with them. Mind giving me a few tips Killa?

make alot of triangular brushes (make a square and clip it once diagonaly and the duplicate it a few times) and use vertex edit (select the brush and press V) to move the verts around till you get some smooth looking terrain. You can also use a shader that will add phong shading to your terrain for some slick looking smooth shadows) This does take a bit of practice to get used to but to tell you the truth..... Unless you use some of the models posted above you will have to use a brush or patch method as there is no other way unless you get a modeling program and make your own cliff stuff.

Originally posted by Lil Killa

make alot of triangular brushes (make a square and clip it once diagonaly and the duplicate it a few times) and use vertex edit (select the brush and press V) to move the verts around till you get some smooth looking terrain. You can also use a shader that will add phong shading to your terrain for some slick looking smooth shadows) This does take a bit of practice to get used to but to tell you the truth..... Unless you use some of the models posted above you will have to use a brush or patch method as there is no other way unless you get a modeling program and make your own cliff stuff.

Hmm okay.. I'm not sure about what you mean when you say "clip it once diagonally and then duplicate it a few times" though.. How do I place them? Could you clarify it?

Edit: I think what you mean is the type of cliffs with triangular ledges and outcroppings? If so, actually what I want is a tall vertical stone rock thing, with cracks and such..

One other thing you can try, that achieves about the same effect as what killa's talking about, is to make a GenSurf ground surface and then flip it on its side. If you then, with the surface selected, press V, you can drag the green boxes (vertices) around to warp the terrain however you like.

@GothiX: that _remap key could be useful to me...can you be a bit more explicit on its usage? Does it take a texture/shader as a parameter, or a set of them?

_remap is used to remap textures/shaders in the model. To remap all shaders to a given shader, use "*;models/mymodel/mytexture". To remap a specific shader, use "models/mymodel/old;models/mymodel/new".

Take from the Q3A entity description.

Originally posted by Kengo

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of drawbacks to using model based terrain, big performance hits for one. Not that terrain generators don't have their problems.

Kengo, mslaf recommends using models of objects and terrain as much as possible without going nuts. Well I went overboard with my 'MODEL' of the terrain I'm using for my current map. And thanks to GOTHIX I can now compile ASE models of terrain. Not only does it look better than any other available terrain gen program...it's so easy it's stupid.

Once you have your terrain mapped out with some nice FAT patches, make a nicely blended terrain texture you can lay right over the top of it. You can adjust it according to your needs. When the final product is done, it looks remarkably real. Now sharp cliffs may be a bit harder because I have not tried those yet. But if I did I would most likely do straight brush work and just cut it up the way I want it. It's slow and tedious but so are a lot of programs. In the end I usually get what I want with patience.

Archived