Home

Mod Ideas?

Tyler_Durden

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like posters have been doing that often on this forum. They rarely stay on topic and often bash each other to the point where moderators get involved.

Boards with flame wars and mostly off-topic posting in threads die out. I hope that point is clear to the forum regulars.

Getting to know your fellow poster is great, but that kind of posting should be done in the off-topic forums. Posts in the SWBF General forum should stay on topic. I see plenty of people attempting to do that in recent days, but maybe that's a point that you should consider CortoCG.

Idei

To be sincere, I only take seriously technical posts about modding. Like content creation, modelling, mapping, coding, etc. Not even brainstorming ones. Brainstorming is private, and should only be done in group with team mates. Otherwise you'll get your idea flamed most of the times, and never get to do it.

Oh, showcase forums where ppl wants to show their work and asks for crits, I take them seriously too, and it's most unlikely I will start an off-topic branch.

If you find a source that specifically states that the GC mode is multiplayer only, please post a link, I'd like to see it. After re-reading some stuff, I will concede the point that the GC mode could work as an MP mode, but as for the planet selection and stuff like that, will it be up to one randomly selected person, or voted? I hope the latter. I probably won't touch this mode in MP play anyway...just wondering. Thought you might know since you're so confident in your superior inside knowledge...:rolleyes:

GC will work best as a single player mode and that is obvious. The exact same gameplay design is used as the primary mode of single player play in Rise of Nations. This mode is not available in multiplayer RoN play. There are differences in the two that would lend GC to be playable multiplayer while RoN's 'Conquer the World' mode wouldn't. RoN's world map has many territories, all except for the starting nation locations are neutral and thus players would be fighting AI opponents if they attack neutral territories. There's also time constraints waiting for other players to finish battles and other logistical issues. GC (unmmodded) could work as a MP game model since there's only two sides per battle, everyone plays in the same battle, and there are no 'neutral' planets to be conquered.

However, what jedi traitor is proposing here seems to lean more towards RoN's model, where there are more than two factions hopping around and taking control of this planet and that planet. Thus, you can have the Federation droid army and the Empire figting on Hoth, for example, if the gameplay leads it there. It's my understanding that GC mode is intended to have two unaffiliated teams that are fighting for control of the planets - meaning you could be playing the Federation Army on Naboo in one battle and playing the Rebels on Hoth in the next depending on how the coin tosses go and whether you defend or attack. It seemed that no one army controlled planets, instead unaffiliated teams did.

Originally posted by Schetter

If you find a source that specifically states that the GC mode is multiplayer only, please post a link, I'd like to see it. After re-reading some stuff, I will concede the point that the GC mode could work as an MP mode, but as for the planet selection and stuff like that, will it be up to one randomly selected person, or voted? I hope the latter. I probably won't touch this mode in MP play anyway...just wondering. Thought you might know since you're so confident in your superior inside knowledge...:rolleyes:

My point is GC mode has only been stated as a multiplayer gameplay mode. I've already proved my point, go find your own source regarding single player. Making a statement that 'GC mode sounds like it is single player' will be misinterpreted by many readers. As you've also stated, my statement is correct.

GC mode is a multiplayer gameplay mode until I hear otherwise from a credible source like the LucasArts site or an authorized review.

GC will work best as a single player mode and that is obvious.

As stated above all that is known is that GC mode is multiplayer. Given that statement is true, where are you drawing this conclusion that GC mode has single player or that 'it will work best as a single player mode'?

Idei

Does someone here knows what it takes to make a mod? Not just a map, and a few models, but a MOD. You cannot be taking this seriously.

Posting ideas is one thing, brainstorming is another. Posting ideas is good, so ppl with real commitment can do some brainstorming about it, in private, with his own team, and pull out a mod.

There are countless mod ideas, some very innovative, some suck big time. But there're really a few MOD teams with real organization actually doing something.

When i think mod, i think it can be construed as many things, be it new maps, weapons, vehicles, etc. that are not in the original game, which therefore you modify so that it does have these things. I really don't want to have to build a whole new team like bounty hunters and stuff for the game, maybe a few vehicles here and there for level purposes, but hopefully the game itself has these vehicles taken care of and are just not shown yet. As for new maps, there's a few i'd like to see done that aren't in the game that, to me sound like some pretty solid ideas, like the water/island map or the canyon map that i have in mind.

I'd say (but I'm not listened to until I get my post count up to 500) that a mod would be an addition, whereas in this game, replacing models would be the main option...I.E. Replace the Stormtrooper model with a Hazard Trooper etc. That would be a model change. A Mod would be where the Hazard Trooper actually functions like the Hazard Troopers do...

John

Good answers, both of you. I was just checking. Actually, making a model or a new map is not considered a mod you know? (I would like to, cuz that's what I do, I'm a 3d artist :p). Modifying the code is considered modding. So, you are not talking about a mod unless you have code changes in it.

Archived