Home

Mod Ideas?

Tyler_Durden

Good points luke. However, waiting too long will significantly diminish the impact on the game. BF:42 has been around for a good two years now, and most players have left and moved on to other games, specifically BF:Nam. The things addressed in the BFPro mod were things that were repeatedly asked to been seen in patches but never came. Dice patched the game with the public server experience in mind and never took the competetive scene into consideration (this is painfully apparent due to the lack of a demo recording mode, for one thing).

Now I'm not saying that I'll be able to code a demo mode if it's left out, because I won't. I'm just saying that there will most probably be things worth tweaking within the first few months of the game's release to make it more interesting in competetion. The major gaming leagues probably won't get leagues rolling for this game until a month or so after release (so that they can play it themselves, get some rules set, and determine the most popular formats and team sizes), and seasons run about 12-14 weeks. After the first season is done, any 'creative' exploits will be apparent and the time will be right then to push a competetion mod. Any time after the second or third season of play and you'll have a good amount of idiots opposing it since they have the exploits mastered and plan to use it to their maximum advantage.

I don't think that we'll be able to rely on Pandemic to patch up anything except for bugs, apparent flaws, and major balance issues. Any sort of minor balance issues, in classes or on the maps themselves, will be up to the competetive community to fix for themselves. We could be pleasantly suprised by Pandemic but I don't consider it likely.

TK - I donno, do you know me?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Schetter

I just know you through these boards. I checked out your realism mod briefly after you mentioned it earlier in this thread. Thats it...

Oh. Well if you have any questions, comments, requests, etc. feel free to post in the forum in my signature. :)

I just hope people don't make a Star Trek mod out of SWBF. *shudder*

Schetter- I understand. I know a lot of exploits and unbalances in BF1942 that kills the gameplay. Most of them stuck there because of the noobs complaining.

The one I hate the most is the nerfing of the AA guns. It used to take a good pilot to rule the skies. Now all it takes is an idiot and he can get through anything. It became too hard to destroy airplanes with AA guns. What used to take a few shots now takes at least ten. Aces rule(ruin) the game because of the noobs.

Grenade jumping. Grenades in BF1942 are already flying around too high and too far. They had to add to it by keeping the grenade jumping exploit which helped you tossed a grenade much further.

5 m parachute. You fly on a plane and drop from it. You fall down from 1 km in the sky dodging all incoming AA fire only to open your parachute 5m from the ground.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

I just hope people don't make a Star Trek mod out of SWBF. *shudder*

Amen to that.

Schetter- I understand. I know a lot of exploits and unbalances in BF1942 that kills the gameplay. Most of them stuck there because of the noobs complaining.

The one I hate the most is the nerfing of the AA guns. It used to take a good pilot to rule the skies. Now all it takes is an idiot and he can get through anything. It became too hard to destroy airplanes with AA guns. What used to take a few shots now takes at least ten. Aces rule(ruin) the game because of the noobs.

Grenade jumping. Grenades in BF1942 are already flying around too high and too far. They had to add to it by keeping the grenade jumping exploit which helped you tossed a grenade much further.

5 m parachute. You fly on a plane and drop from it. You fall down from 1 km in the sky dodging all incoming AA fire only to open your parachute 5m from the ground.

Yep, 2+ years after release and some things are actually worse than they were at release. The resistance in the competetive community to change some of these things at this point is fierce and rather sad. I intend to not see it happen here.

One major thing I already noticed from a clip in one of the SW:BF trailers is the 'tuck-and-roll' evasion tactic. If there isn't some sort of 'fatigue' or 'energy' soldier stat that limits the amount of times you can do this consecutively, things are going to get really stupid really quick. Use of this is rampant in JKII and it's really annoying, especially since you can move faster using that than you can while running. This is definately going to need a nerf if it isn't done already by the developers. However, it shouldn't be nerfed for the Federation droids that ball up and roll around as their primary mode of transportation - that would be equally stupid and besides, those droids are just badass.

Anyway, I can already see potential problems just by looking at the trailers and I'm sure more will be apparent once it's actually released.

One major thing I already noticed from a clip in one of the SW:BF trailers is the 'tuck-and-roll' evasion tactic. If there isn't some sort of 'fatigue' or 'energy' soldier stat that limits the amount of times you can do this consecutively, things are going to get really stupid really quick. Use of this is rampant in JKII and it's really annoying, especially since you can move faster using that than you can while running. This is definately going to need a nerf if it isn't done already by the developers. However, it shouldn't be nerfed for the Federation droids that ball up and roll around as their primary mode of transportation - that would be equally stupid and besides, those droids are just badass.

For the Destroyers I believe there's some deployment time which takes maybe 2-3 sec where you're unable to shoot and your shileds start up. it would make them vulnerable for that small amount of time. So rolling in and automatically shoot would be impossible.

I think something similar should be implemented for the regular trooper tug-and-roll. After one roll you can't automatically make another. You'll have to wait a few secs before rolling again. That should balance out the tug-an-roll. Also, there could be a "confusion time" where you can't shoot after the roll.

jeditraitor- a few things about your mod...

It has not yet been determined if you will be able to place caps on classes. We probably won't know until release if that can be scripted. I'd hold off about getting to into that.

What's that about 'clan size'? I hope you mean 'team size' because nobody's going to buy into it if you have to be a member of a clan just to get the better classes.

An 'all weapon' class is just ridiculous. The game is meant so that no one person can dominate an entire other team (without some serious skill). This is not UT:2004 with super marines who can seemingly store various massive weapons within their bodies. Rethink that.

As TK mentioned here, Jedi are going to be a big NO here. Everyone will want to be the freakin jedi and some n00b would probably have no qualms in TKing for the position. Not to mention that you'd probably have to code in some 'jedi force powers' to appease the JK/JA enthusiasts, and you'd definately have to code in blaster shot deflection with the lightsaber - not an easy task. A jedi would unbalance the game too much in a multiplayer scenario and should just be kept out.

luke-

I would hope that's the case for the Destroyer droids. That should balance it nicely. I also hope they're planning what you mentioned there with the small wait before being able to fire/aim properly and a longer wait before another roll. Otherwise, someone that has mastered the roll tactic could just constantly roll around, pop out of it at unpredictable times and get a few shots off on their enemy - no way to fight.

i now call this mod idea...

"Star Wars: Territories"

it's just like galactic conquest except with more factions.

rebels

empire

republic

separatists

droids

pirates

gangsters

ex-slaves

or you can be an individual bounty hunter or a spy.

these two classes fight for or against anyone on the server. it's up to them who they fight alongside.

here's a scenario...

so you log on to this mod's server and the ten planets are listed. each system is controlled by a faction except 2.

kamino- republic

geonosis- separatists

yavin 4- rebels

endor- empire

tatooine- gangsters

rhen var- droids

bespin- pirates

kashyyyk- ex slaves

hoth- open

naboo- open

when the server starts all factions are on their assigned worlds. say you pick the droids, their start off world is rhen var. hoth is open territory. the droid team chooses hoth as their battlefront. the pirates also choose it. droids and pirates are the 2 factions who go against each other for control of hoth. droids defeat the pirates and take control of the system. hoth is now droid territory.

now the droid team has to defend their two planets against whichever team decides to fight them again. if they win they keep control. if they lose they get kicked off the system.

say the droid faction wins every battle and controls all sytems. then you have a droid controlled galaxy and that series of battles is over.

The 'Galactic Conquest' mode sounded to me to be very much a single player game mode. You'll probably have to do a LOT of scripting in order to get that pumpin. Not to mention that one server = one battle. If you plan to put this into action, you're going to need several servers just sitting there on demand in case a battle is formed up, and they'll all have to be linked up with each other (so you're going to have to craft some sort of protocol for that). Pretty ambitious in terms of scope and cash.

I'd wait to see what kind of mod building tools Pandemic decides to put out for this game as well as the limitations of the game engine itself before you get too into planning out all these specifics.

The 'Galactic Conquest' mode sounded to me to be very much a single player game mode.

Galactic Conquest is a multiplayer gameplay mode.

You'll probably have to do a LOT of scripting in order to get that pumpin. Not to mention that one server = one battle. If you plan to put this into action, you're going to need several servers just sitting there on demand in case a battle is formed up, and they'll all have to be linked up with each other (so you're going to have to craft some sort of protocol for that). Pretty ambitious in terms of scope and cash.

It won't be that complicated. A single server should be able to play a Galactic Conquest mode. The server would track what faction won the map and apply benefits accordingly on the next map it loads. It won't require multiple servers to run the Galactic Conquest mode.

Idei

It won't be that complicated. A single server should be able to play a Galactic Conquest mode. The server would track what faction won the map and apply benefits accordingly on the next map it loads. It won't require multiple servers to run the Galactic Conquest mode.

I take you're in close contact with Pandemic, or you are part of their team. I mean, you sound very convinced.

Originally posted by fuzzyfreaker

It'z a spy!!!

Galactic Conquest is mulitplayer but isn't the single player something like that?

LMAO. Rebel scum!

I was kinda asking really, I only care about the artistic side of modding. Hey! I'm just a leet modeller with an XSI and a couple of questions ;).

I haven't read anywhere that Galactic Conquest mode would support single player mode. If you find a source that states so, post it on the board.

A poster wrote that he believed it would be a single player mode while every review has stated it will be a multiplayer mode.

The same poster, Schetter, also believes that the GC mode would require multiple servers and customized scripts to work. I know enough to know that it won't be that complicated.

GC mode will run on a single server. CortoCG, what makes you think that SWBF servers will operate differently than any other server?

Finally, CortoCG do some research. There is info available on the internet that covers many of these topics.

Idei

I know my games.

Questioning what a person says about a subject usually implies that they have facts to the contrary. In this case, it's clear that you haven't any additional information to contribute regarding GC mode and server issues.

My point was to clarify what is known about GC mode and SWBF servers. This information is sparse, but if someone posts information contrary to published info I will take steps to post the correct information.

Idei

Archived