Home

Mod Ideas?

Tyler_Durden

With battlefront coming out in a few months, i was wondering if anybody has any ideas for mods they would like to see or if any are currently in development?

Personally, i am looking at doing a mod that takes place in a mountainous area where the rebels have to capture a few imperial bases. The level is reminiscent of the rogue squadron level where the speeders have to destroy the radars before being detected and also destroy at-at building factories. So maybe at the beginning of the level, the rebels will have to destroy a guarded radar in order to let speeders get through. there will be a lot of mountains, cliffs and underground ways to reach a destination that speeders won't be able to get to, but have to navigate certain areas in order to reach the given destination. The level will also contain at-at's, at-st's, tie fighters, at-pt's, speeder bikes, etc. (if the engine allows, that is)

This is all pure speculation and hopefully the engine lets one do all of what they envision. I also hope that the editor is user friendly, if pandemic releases one. If any devs are reading this, please release one.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mod idea> Star Wars: Battlefront EUX (Expanded Universe eXperience).

This mod would sprinkle in some real world realism, easier to kill and be killed, probably adjusted ammo capacities, more player classes, adjusted armor strengths, adjusted vehicle speeds and armaments. Variations in player skins to give more choices and better suit the environments. Same goes for some of the vehicles, different color schemes to better suit the map. More maps!!! Have 2 to 3 different maps covering separate battles which can take place on planets like Naboo and Geonosis. Create maps to cover more planets usually only talked about and hardly seen. More factions or mixed factions like Gungan, Geonosian and Black Sun. Intermingle NPC like the ewoks and Gungans into the regular factions making them playable. Have maps concentrating on smaller skirmishes, perhaps Rebels versus Black Sun. Have more alien variants for the Rebels.

This is an important point... make a new player class for the Empire the "Bounty Hunter", I'd prefer a Bossk look-a-like. Essentially the bounty hunter goes after players on the opposing team with a singular mindset "capture them". His special weapon would stun opposing players like the carbonite gun in Dark Forces 2. If he stuns a player and returns to an IMP spawn point that stunned player is captured and can't respawn to help his teammates out. The stunned player has to wait for an extended spawn time, instead of 10 seconds maybe 45. It means fewer rebels are available for the fight thus giving the Imps an advantage. The stunned player has an option though, like in BF1942 he can commit suicide but it costs him and his team a ticket. These frozen players would remain on the battlefield until they're 1. captured 2. commit suicide or 3. a medic revives him.

*Note* Bounty Hunters can't capture flags!!! so an entire team of them won't do much good to win the map.

ouch!

In terms of battlefield 1942 if you can think of a war, well someone is trying to make a mod for it. If you can think of an action movie they're basing their mod upon it. Even nonsense mods and racing ones and the 8 million counter strike clones. They're all being done.

SWBF might expect the same.

Originally posted by Prime

I hope that we get lots of admin mods that give admins super powers so that lamers can be punished! ;)

omfg liek i soo agree laemrs r eavil tehy need 2 b stoped @ all lcosts if my honours is ofefnded i haev 2 punihs teh laemer adn teehc him a lesosn aboaut hounor

battlefield vietnam and 1942 have an internal lamer kicker called Punkbuster, it's basically for team killers, idlers, and general lamers. IIRC, there's a team vote for kicking players, auto kick, etc. I would expect that having looked at every detail of those games that pandemic has something similar in mind, or maybe they even licensed punk buster itself.

I can't imagine who would make a WWII mod for this game, with sooo many already excellent and world acclaimed WWII mods.

I say let's bring back the original trilogy movies feeling to games. If Pandemic fails to achieve it, of course. If they don't, well, let's improve it :D.

Raven failed big time to acomplish this task, and Factor 5 almost does it too. Not even the great UT2004 Troopers mod team is achieving it. Too sad.

I know some ppl don't agree, it's ok. But actually seems like Raven didn't know about SW when they startetd making the games, and they still don't know anything about it. From the models to the art and map design, Raven did fail to create a good SW ambientation. That's a fact.

Ppl can like what they did, but that doesn't mean they did a good job.

I mean, I hada good time playing FFA JA matches, but it felt nothing like Star Wars, it was more like Quake 3 with lightsabers.

I think it came down to the weapons that raven came up with. They didn't have a lot of that star wars feel in terms of sound and usage. An example would be blastech pistol that han uses in the movies, the sound was wrong, the rocket launcher doesn't belong in star wars as i don't think i've ever seen anyone use hard ammo except in attack of the clones (the clone trooper carrier and the seperatist rolling vehicle). i believe the large blaster rifle the bossk characters used in the original JK wasn't done right in JA, for example, the sound was different, not star warsy, but then again a quick sound edit and a .pk3 was all that was needed for that. however, some of the level design wasn't great either with original textures being used. I understand it was an EU game but so was JK and it had all that star wars immersiveness to it.

I think that if the same thing applies to battlefront, that there would be some minor cosmetic changes that would need to be made, such as laser fire not looking right or weapons not sounding like they would in the movies. I think i could pull that off without an editor. Jesus, i am a total geek when it comes to being totally accurate to the films.

One more thing, a little off topic, Lukeiamyourdad, why have the avatar if you don't want geeks to ogle? Avatar tease.

Tyler, I'd have say it myself, but you did it better than I could possibly say it. If all it takes is some minor cosmetic changes here and there, why can't they do it? I dunno, and so do all the ppl who spent $70 bucks on the game as soon as it came out. I mean, modders shouldn't make good what developers left mediocrely done, just add custom stuff all in all.

I have the feeling Pandemic is doing a really great job, and they will bring back a faithfull to SW game.

Originally posted by CortoCG

But actually seems like Raven didn't know about SW when they startetd making the games, and they still don't know anything about it.

What do you mean by this? Just about everything included in JO and JA is represented elsewhere in the movies or EU stories. Can you be more specific?

From the models to the art and map design, Raven did fail to create a good SW ambientation. That's a fact.

It is not a fact. It is an opinion. I felt Raven did a great job with the SW feel in JO in particular, at least for me, and apparently a lot of other people according to the reviews. They did a good job incorporating elements that make Star War Star Wars to me. :)

And what is wrong with the models and art in these games? The Stormtroopers look like stormtroopers to me. :D

Ppl can like what they did, but that doesn't mean they did a good job.

But if people like what they did, then they did do a good job for them. And if you don't like what they did, it doesn't mean they did not do a good job. It is just opinions.

I mean, I hada good time playing FFA JA matches, but it felt nothing like Star Wars, it was more like Quake 3 with lightsabers.

Well, it is very hard to make the MP game have a Star Wars feel. That is because you are relying on other players to provide that ambience. Since everyone's view of what Star Wars is is different (as the above would indicate), it doesn't really work. Also, sacrifices to "realism" have to be made to make the game fun to play. I suspect that if you are looking to MP Battlefront to provide a de facto SW experience, you are going to be disappointed. But that doesn't mean the game can't still be really fun.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

I think it came down to the weapons that raven came up with.

They didn't have a lot of that star wars feel in terms of sound and usage. An example would be blastech pistol that han uses in the movies, the sound was wrong, the rocket launcher doesn't belong in star wars

Every weapon in JO and JA comes from the movies or the EU. Actually, Raven went out of their way to do this.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

i don't think i've ever seen anyone use hard ammo except in attack of the clones (the clone trooper carrier and the seperatist rolling vehicle).

And Jango and Boba Fett. :)

Thanks, man, but actually i don't play MP for JA, i don't like the mouse, keyboard control, i use a gamepad, but it is not supported for MP, too bad.

But this is getting off topic, anyone else have any mod ideas that they would like to see done?

Archived