Home

Darth Sion revealed

Burrie

well you are revan, malak was the apprentice, of course he is a pushover. rpg's are less about being uber hard game experiences and more about story and character creation. though your ideas should bee taken in by bioware and that other company. i'm glad my npcs made it, and i'm glad i could make it so they didn't, gave me a feeling of control over their fate, like my choices actually meant something. more variety in what could happen to them would be nice, i don't like the idea that someone has to die and it is inevitable.

in KOTOR II it will be a better story, i'm almost sure of it, cause all they have to focus on is the story, engine is already made, just uberfy it. can't wait.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by 0rlo

rpg's are less about being uber hard game experiences and more about story and character creation.

Actually Orlo it is five things, a good RPG should challenge you in five areas, Character Development, Expirience, Creating a Sense of Danger/Urgency, Affetcing the Environment/World, and of course provide a Challenge to the PC or Party.

While KOTOR is the best Star Wars RPG made so far, I hate the WOTC Star Wars PnP D20 RPG System, so coming from me that is saying something, it is by far the most lacking in the Challenge and Danger areas.

i'm glad my npcs made it

But Orlo it is just not Star Wars that way... Your party, (read as one or more of the NPC's) should have had a price that had to be paid to get you through the game/story, (Example: EP4 Obi-Wan's sacrifice on the Death Star, Ep5 Han Solo's carbonite expirience) elements like this would have made your Rise or Fall even more great or tragic and that is the hallmark of a well made RPG and or PnP RPG Campaign.

and i'm glad i could make it so they didn't, gave me a feeling of control over their fate, like my choices actually meant something. more variety in what could happen to them would be nice,

The only actual choice you have in all of KOTOR is on the Temple Summit. I hope they change that in KOTOR:TSL.

The NPC fates were scripted no matter your choices through the game.

You go Darkside Jolee, Juhani, Mission, and Zzalbar are toast, possibly even Carth.

You go Lightside, Bastila has a small chance of Dying.

i don't like the idea that someone has to die and it is inevitable.

That is the hallmark of a good RPG story, characters die, that is what adds the hints of tragedy and depth to a story, and gives it a more immersive feeling for the player(s), without NPC plots like this it removes the Challenge and Danger parts from the whole Game.

in KOTOR II it will be a better story, i'm almost sure of it, cause all they have to focus on is the story, engine is already made, just uberfy it. can't wait.

I fully agree! :D

you did have a little hint of tragedy which was when bastalia sacifaced herself on the levithan and she then turn to the darkside ,also when carth came for you on the star forge andyou killed him that tragedy.

Unfortunately, Bastila's sacrifice didn't feel like a sacrifice. In fact, in a way, it felt more as if she got in the way. Before that, the player can be easily beating Malak as if he's just a mere padawan. In the cutscene that follows afterwards, Malak is suddenly able to magically use a Force Power that automatically traps the player, after which he gives a speech about how powerful he is and what-not(even though a few moments ago, we were easily taking him down). In fact, even if Malak had slashed my character a few times afterwards while he was in stasis, the character would've gone out of stasis at some point, healed themself, and eradicated Malak, effectively ending his evil rule. Instead, Bastila suddenly runs in and just feels this need to sacrifice herself.

Now, I don't mind that Bastila sacrifices herself, I applaud it. However, I believe that the way it is presented is flawed.

(plus, there is the fact that Bastila can be saved anyways, despite her sacrifice)

In fact, in my opinion, they could have pretty much kept the first part of the Malak-meeting. Those scenes just work, right up until the point that Malak runs away. I mean, Luke even managed to beat Vader away for a moment in ESB. But when we'd face Malak again, I had just hoped that Darth Malak would suddenly show that he had held back, and would now utterly defeat the player in combat(leading up to Bastila's sacrifice, as well as a potential Juhani/Jolee death).

As for Carth, I don't agree that it's a personal tragedy that I'm talking about. I'm more thinking along the way of a party member or an ally dying. However, once you join the Dark Side, Mission, Carth, and potentially Zaalbar are not in your party anymore. You're a Sith, they're part of the Republic. His death doesn't really count, in my opinion.

^^^^^

Not sucking up Mav, (I know you were kidding! :D) it is just some common sense elements with RPG story lines that Burrie is stating.

KOTOR lacks a few of these elements that is all...

[Jolee]What were we talking about again?[/Jolee]

well you are revan, malak was the apprentice, of course he is a pushover.

IMO, at the 1st meeting with Malak he shouldn't have been the complete push over that he was. Story wise, if I interpreted it correctly, Malak was supposed to be more powerful at that point. After all you were still re/connecting with the force, basically an insignificant padawn (heh my old JO name), he was the master.

My 1st play through, when I got to that point, I was excited & a little worried for my PC. Handed his ass to him, checked my difficulty settings, & couldn't help but feel disappointed. Figured that the next meeting would be more grueling only to get the disappointed feeling back.

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" -Johnny Rotten

Hopefully with TSL, I have to fear for my PC's safety when I battle the borg & his friend in the mask ;)

Originally posted by Com Raven

Well, I think it is something new for Star Wars. A bad guy who doesn't wear a mask or something for a change ;)

i don't think it's the wearing of a mask per se, but more of a physical disfigurement that reflects their inner hatred. sure, vader had a mask, and so did malak (as well as revan in the beginning of kotor for that matter), but sidious only hid his face, maul's face was tattooed out the wazoo, and tyrannus was just old and wrinkled ... no masks for those 3.

I figured it out...

I know who Darth Sion really is...

Remember the story Jolee Bindo tells you about the young Jedi he knew and his swirling destiny, the one that Krat guy threw down a power core shaft on his flagship, I can't remember his name right now, but Darth Scion could very well be him...

After all what do you think someone would look like after being through a ships power core. :D

Archived