Home

Where is this thread?

In attepting to edit a poll (for constructive purposes) in this thread, which is meant to reside in the Monkey island discussion forum, and therefore within my duristiction as a moderator, I found that for some reason, I appear in the Galactic Battlegrounds forums area (or rather, in the edit post mode, but with the Galactic theme and unable to submit my changes because the forums thinks I'm making them in the Galactic Battlegrounds forum, rather than my own).

The theme for the actual thread is the same as the normal MI discuccion theme, except when editing the poll and for some reason, when I post and get the "your post has just be added" screen, it again appears to be in Gallactic Battleground colours. Is there any reason for this, or is it just a forums glitch, and can it be changed?

In attepting to edit a poll (for constructive purposes) in this thread, which is meant to reside in the Monkey island discussion forum, and therefore within my duristiction as a moderator, I found that for some reason, I appear in the Galactic Battlegrounds forums area (or rather, in the edit post mode, but with the Galactic theme and unable to submit my changes because the forums thinks I'm making them in the Galactic Battlegrounds forum, rather than my own).

The theme for the actual thread is the same as the normal MI discuccion theme, except when editing the poll and for some reason, when I post and get the "your post has just be added" screen, it again appears to be in Gallactic Battleground colours. Is there any reason for this, or is it just a forums glitch, and can it be changed?

it is because i, an admin, hacked you. mwaha. :dozey:

no seriously, it works fine for me.

(and it finally will come to this, and i know it's rhetorical.. but.. have you installed a proper browsing software? :p)

edit:

did you notice that the thread starter is "the bug" (uuuhhuuuuumm.. *nods*) but the first post that shows up is from doc edison? coincidence? i think not. except it's been caused by a forum hiccup.

shut it, punk, this is not the place (for me to beat you up).

i didnt say you started it, i said yours is the first shown post although the forum says thread starter is the bug.

and it's not possible (the normal way) to post a thread without a message text. hmpf.

*sigh*

aaah, ..what the.. *shrugs* who cares?

*gives a punch*

That's strange. When I go to view the results of the poll, it takes me there. I think it possibly could be because that poll's id is 4033, and there is a thread in the Galactic Battleground forums with the same id, so the forums think it goes with that, but it is actually meant to go with a thread with a different id. So it's probably just a small bug in this version of vBulliten

I'm not sure on the exact reasons behind it (although James is probably close), but basically vBulletin simply forgets what forum you're in on the poll screen because it isn't defined on the end - that's why adding the forum id fixes it.

A simple fix would be for whoever wrote the MID forum style to simply alter the link on the poll template so that the forum id is always added onto the end. Then it'll use the MID forum style instead of using one of the others.

The styles aren't really all up to scratch at the moment though, with the eventual upgrade to vB3 being in progress (which involves the complete recreation of each and every forum style) there's little point in repairing the older ones, so nobody is ;)

You can also add that forum ID to other pages, such as the "View Profile" pages if you wish - allowing you to give pages which normally use the default theme the look of the forum id you specify's style. Example.

Although this is just for fun right now, if the styles are coded properly once the vB3 set rolls out then this means when you view profiles and such, pages within a forum will always show as that forum's style rather than the default LucasForums style - helping to reinforce the concept of it being its own individual community within LucasForums.

I like how you're example was metallus' profile :).

I understand that there's really no poit in fixing it now and don't really want to bother them in the middle of the vb3 changeover. I probably won't have any more problems now that I can just add that, thanks.

Now awaiting introduction of vb3 (that' or 3 months downtime for LF)

Archived