Home

Cant decide which hardware....

Crow_Nest

I may be getting something new soon, but i cant decide what to get, either a new gfx card or new processor.

Here are my current specs:

Windows XP Pro SP1

AMD Althon XP2000+ 1.66 GHz (1664 MHz)

Gainward GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB

512MB RAM

SB Audigy Gamer

MSI nForce 2 K7N2-L

DirectX 9.0c (SDK)

I only just upgraded my graphic card in october last year, i dont know if its worth to upgrade so soon. My processor is too slow, especially with all the new games coming out like Half Life 2 and Doom 3, and i have the 2nd slowest (My dad has an XP3200 barton 2.4 GHz the fastest) PC in my family.

The Radeon 9800 Pro and GeForce FX 5900 is pretty cheap now, the AMD Althon 64-bit processor looks quite good too. But cant decide!!! I need something that is enough to last for at least 2 - 3 years.

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

heres some suggestions

*dvd burner

*More HD

*Crazy Joystick

*faster processor

mtfbwya

I dont need a DVD burner, cause my dad already has one and i can burn discs over there, i have more than enough HD, i dont play games that use joysticks. A faster processor suites me fine :D

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

I may be getting something new soon, but i cant decide what to get, either a new gfx card or new processor.

Here are my current specs:

Windows XP Pro SP1

AMD Althon XP2000+ 1.66 GHz (1664 MHz)

Gainward GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB

512MB RAM

SB Audigy Gamer

MSI nForce 2 K7N2-L

DirectX 9.0c (SDK)

I only just upgraded my graphic card in october last year, i dont know if its worth to upgrade so soon. My processor is too slow, especially with all the new games coming out like Half Life 2 and Doom 3, and i have the 2nd slowest (My dad has an XP3200 barton 2.4 GHz the fastest) PC in my family.

The Radeon 9800 Pro and GeForce FX 5900 is pretty cheap now, the AMD Althon 64-bit processor looks quite good too. But cant decide!!! I need something that is enough to last for at least 2 - 3 years.

maybe you can be a nice guy and donate some of those things to me :D

Because tis better to give that receive :).

other than that... savings my friend

savings

Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit

An AMD 64 will last you longer than 3 years methinks. Also, you might want to get 1GB of RAM too... no such thing as too much is there? :D Oh yeah, get the graphics card first though.

I just discussed about getting 1024MB of RAM the other day, he said i dont really need it since most games have 512 as recommended. So maybe i'll be going with the Althon 64 right? See if i can get a second-hand one at Hardware Zone. :p

Im deciding to get new parts as well, mine is now about 2 years old... got 2.3ghz geforce 4mx420, 512mb ram, 60gb hard disk

gonna put another 512mb ram, prob ati radeon 9800 pro, extra hard disk 40gb

cause this is the slowzorz

Originally posted by Anthony

and people, DON'T get the new intel mothboard. (The one with PCI express and new socket and crap.) It didn't perform all that well.

Ya, I think it's said those motherboards with PCI Express won't have native AGP support.

Why the AMD 64? It doesn't perform much better than a Pentium 4 Or Athlon XP... unless you want it to run Longhorn. But I thought that non-64 bit processors would run it just fine?

Preparing for the future, my friend. In the future there will be more applications for 64-bit processors. And if you use Shark Linux, it may benefit you...

Originally posted by RoxStar

Why the AMD 64? It doesn't perform much better than a Pentium 4 Or Athlon XP... unless you want it to run Longhorn. But I thought that non-64 bit processors would run it just fine?

The Althon XP is par to the P4. The Althon 64 beats the P4 and most games runs best on it.

Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit

:xp:

Saying that reminds me of my sister. :eek:

ah, I believe you have unwittingly uncovered a vulgar intrugue that exists between your sister and Mr Roxstar

*damn, I gotta stop reading Victorian Mystery novels....* :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

The Althon XP is par to the P4. The Althon 64 beats the P4 and most games runs best on it.

Although the Athlon 64 is aimed at competing with the P4 EE and then it really depends on the game Linky

I'd probably upgrade the graphics card before the proccesor anyway :)

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

ah, I believe you have unwittingly uncovered a vulgar intrugue that exists between your sister and Mr Roxstar

*damn, I gotta stop reading Victorian Mystery novels....* :p

mtfbwya

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why would I care anyways? My sister's an annoying little pest! :p

I'd get an AMD 64 2800+ if I can't afford a 3200+.

Archived