Home

The future of Star Wars Gaming

Darth Groovy

*apologies in advance for repeating this post in multiple forums, but I NEED feedback!*

You know, I started sort of a rant in this thread about Star Wars games in general, and I felt this would be a thread worthy discussion about the material that exists in Star Wars games, and a good place for some positive/negative feedback.

Basically I wanted to clearify, that I don't HATE the current SW titles already on the market, but I wanted to point out that what I feel really SELLS Star Wars games is the relationship between elements of the movies and the action that follows. Honeslty, the best parts of Dark Forces, were running around and fragging Stormtroopers, and interacting with characters and creatures that appeared in the original films such as Boba Fett, and Jabba The Hutt. I'm not saying the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series had "bad" story elements, but in the end, what made the games fun was being in that Star Wars universe and feeling like your in one of the movies.

First SW game I really ENJOYED was Super Star Wars for SNES . The first time I ran the trench battle at the end of the game, I truly felt like Luke, and after several failures I literally closed my eyes before fireing the torpedoes into the mine shaft, and finally won the game. I was so exited, I literally had a beer party that night in celebration! Friends of mine were so HOOKED on that game. Now granted, it WAS a side scroller, that involved ALOT of TEDIOUS platform jumping, but all in all, for the time, the game was seriously fun, and did the best they could to capture the exitement and pace of the original movies.

Lets face it, alot of the games currently out there are basically clones of games that have already been released. (and some were done alot better to a certain degree.

Jedi Outcast/ Jedi Academy is Quake III with lightsabers.

Galactic Battlegrounds is Age Of Kings II with Star Wars elements.

Star Wars Battlefront is going to be 1942 with Star Wars Elements.

Starfighter/Jedi Starfighter/Rouge Squadron is well.....a flight sim! Flight sims have been around for almost 2 decades!

Even Republic Commando is going to be a FPS based on Unreal technology.

Star Wars Galaxies is basically Everquest, and (arguably) contains Star Wars Elements.

This may get me into some trouble with any wandering member of LucasArts, but I personally feel that there are WAY TOO many titles based on characters from Episodes 1, and 2, and let's face it, not too many of them were too popular amongst serious gamers.

What we want and need is a game that is actually based on the Originally Trilogy, that uses actual characters from The Original Trilogy that utilizes something other than technology that is already been done in other games. Something that has smoothe graphics, and has the same nostalgic feel of the Super NES Star Wars games, without having it be a side scrolling platform jumper. Have characters do what they do in the movies! Don't have Darth Vader fly out from over a cliff and shoot you full of lightning bolts!

I'm not a game designer, but I just know that the Star Wars game I been looking for, has never been released. The best parts of the games that were out there, I only enjoyed, because for a split second or so, I felt like I was in one of the original films.

Even my favorite part of Jedi Outcast, was NOT the SP game, but on MP, where I downloaded maps and models that were based on the movies, and tried to re-create those scenes!

Am I alone on this idea, or is the need and want for a new game based on the original movies long over due?

I open this for discussion, and again, this is not to trash LucasArts, or any of the games being released, it's just an area for some much needed feedback on all the games in general

I agree. All of these new LucasArts games aren't entirely original. It's just basically a previously released game with different skins. There's still one engine I'd like LucasArts to use though. Homeworld 2. That would be the coolest Star Wars strategy game ever. Go to the link above and look at the trailer. The graphics are awesome and it would be awesome if they changed the skins and made it look like Star Wars.

I think LucasArts needs to do more Original Trilogy things still though. The new movies don't beat the originals in my opinion, and the original trilogy games beat the new ones. I think LucasArts could make a good engine if they wanted to. I don't have any ideas as to what it would be like, but I think it could have some real potential. Any ideas?

I think you are correct. I too feel a little nostalgic for the OT and the games it can produce. I suppose that right now the prequel is what is fresh in the minds of the masses in their short attention spans so that is what is being catered too. But don't fret, my friend of the force, in time they will have forgotten all about the Clone Wars and this new thing called Revenge of the Sith just as that Menace has become a true phantom now and the true greatness that was and still is the OT will return. For there would be no prequel if there were no classic trilogy!!

I would like to say that I disagree with you, Dark Groovy on your comments about Rogue Squadron. That had many places where I felt like I was in the movie. I have had Rogue Squadron for almost 6 years and I still play it. Starfighter, in my opinion, wasn't as good as Rogue Squadron (All three of them), because it did feel like a flight simulator, but I think the Rogue Squadron series was a great series.

KoToR was one of the coolest Star Wars Games I ever played, and it wasn't based on the OT or the prequels. They definitely could've made a movie out of it if they'd wanted to. Galaxies isn't bad either. It will be even better when the starship expansion pack comes out. Everquest never had anything that complex. Although galaxies is now begining to look like Earth & Beyond, though I don't know which one came first.

I think a game that would be quite cool if it were done over would be Rebel Assault. I got the game when I was 5 and played it till my computer got updated too much that it couldn't play it anymore. Rebel Assault and Rebel Assault 2 were both very good games in my opinion and if they were redone they would be awesome.

I never played Rebel Assault, but I did get Rebel Assault II for like 8 bucks in one of those wire rack, no box cheapy deals that games do after they've been out for a long time. My 5 (at the time) year old son loved it but got bored with it very quick. It had a nice story and a lot of good ideas to the sequences and all, but for me it was to 80's like arcade like. Now, had I been 10 again and in an arcade playing it for the first time it would have been great, but I wasn't real impressed. Had I paid full price I would have been disappointed about the loss of money, but in this case I'm not. But it did play like a movie and had a good story which I did enjoy and does sell a game for me. And Rouge Squadron rocks! I still play my pc version of it. Once I beat it I reset it and start all over.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed the game cloning too! i still think lucas can make good games like this!

...although I thought galactic battlegrounds was lame! mabe lucas is getting cheap and buying the engine off other games instead of making his own stuff!

he's right to a point, most shoot-em-up games are all the same anyway! most realtime stragegy games are all the same anyway! and most mmorpg ames are all the same anyway! might as well recycle old game engines!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a problem with using a proven system. It makes business since anyway. Way spend money on something new only to make an expensive game that might not sell, that might not work. If both of these things happen then your future products are at risk of not selling even before you come up with them because of your reputation of putting out garbage. On the other hand, if you take the risk and you make a great game then you can charge whatever you want and you will make as much as you want because your next game will automatically sell because your first game was so great. LA has done a little bit of both for a while I think and it is getting more difficult to come up with new ideas now, sure, but that's the name of the game. Just do it, that's why we play them and buy them.

Archived