Home

Psychonauts

Thrik

As many were worried to hear, Microsoft dropped their deal with Double Fine with publishing Psychonauts a number of months ago.

Not to worry though! As Mojo recently reported, Majesco have picked it up and will be publishing it. Even better, they're going to now bring it to the PC as well as the xbox - brilliant!

If you've heard about this already, sorry - just letting you all know. After all, I'm sure you're all interested in Schafer's next game, right? :D

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/04/news_6104113.html

Hell, I've been waiting for this game since it was first announced in 2002. I already knew about this but we need more threads discussing Psychonauts.

Seeing that it will be released on P.C. as well was a surprise to me. You reading this, VampieNaomi? This means you no longer have an excuse.

I think as Jake pointed out, they manage to sustain huge profits by releasing dozens of low-budget crappy games every year straight into stores like wal-mart, which unbelievably make them a huge amount of money.

They then in turn use these huge profits on a select number of "real" projects -- like Psychonauts, and Bloodrayne. It's actually quite a clever strategy if you think about it, perhaps companies like Vivendi (who recently shut down Sierra due to profit loss, if you didn't hear) would benefit from doing similar things.

I did not know of the Sierra thing. DAMMIT.

This is a big deal for me, Sierra made games that I grew up with and now feel nostalgic of. 7th Guest, Shivers, Lighthouse, etc. are all parts of the timeline in my gaming life.

Anger fills my soul....

Vivendi basically bought Sierra a number of years ago, and let them run as an "internal" company, although by this point they were essentially just publishers.

A few months ago Vivendi reported huge losses in profits, and sacked a good 350 of their 900 employees - whilst simultaneously shutting down Sierra's offices.

They're keeping the trademark "Sierra" around for the sake of people recognising it, but the actual company behind it is for the most part gone.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a very short interview with Tim Schaffer about the change in publishers on G4/Tech TV a few weeks ago. Schaffer said that all the other publishers except Majesco wanted to change stuff and run Psychonauts thru focus groups, but Majesco would let Schaffer publish Psyconauts just the way he wants it. So, while Majesco may be a budget publisher, it sounds perfect for Psychonauts.

That's an interesting snippet, DangerDam. I hadn't heard that before. I'm glad there are still publishers willing to take risks, anyway - or at least, take risks without resorting to the dreaded 'focus groups'! The very thought of a focus group consisting of a bunch of neanderthals sitting around going "uuuh more blood would be cool uhuhuh" (or worse, a bunch of stereotypical 'adventure game fans' sitting around going "FFS 3D! Too confusing!") sends shivers down my spine.

Er, I went off into a bit of a rant there. Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived