Home

Why does everyone hate the prequels and the EU so much?

Ockniel

The clone wars makes you feel about 8 years old again watching star wars for the 1st time. I just sat there like Beavis ("huh huh, cool") for an hour solid:)

If you can get used to the style of the animation (very similar to Samurai Jack) then you'll think it's amazing. This is probably best told in another thread though...

I think that most peoples' beef with the PT is that it's not the OT. That seems to be the problem.

Personally, I love the PT as much as I do the OT. I don't consider the PT classics as I do the OT, but they're newer, so duh.

The biggest, and probably most violating difference, is that the PT and OT look different. Take any particular scene, from either, and you can just tell, it's different.

the PT is more colorful. It's less gritty. And it's newer.

As much as I am a fan of new technologies, I really really like the reality of puppets and models over doing everything CGI. I appreciate what they can do and how things are easier to do in CGI, but actual things look realer. Ships in the OT are actually physical objects, and they look the part. I love that. And Puppet Yoda is a big leap from CGI Yoda.

Also, everyting is touch screen. Everything's shiny and new, with moniters with hologram buttons and stuff, and 30 years later, everyone's pushing actual buttons, in boxy, grey ships. It's things like that, changes from the look and feel of the universe that violate some people's perception of how the OT was.

I love the PT. I think they're great movies, but for some of the people who grew up accustomed to a specific feel of the look and feel of things in the star wars universe, and when it wasn't matched in the PT, some people were turned off.

I don't agree with those people, but that's just my theory as to why some people are ticked off at these newer movies. I just wish that some of them would shut up with their George Lucas hating rants. If you really appreciated George Lucas and his films, you wouldn't condemn him and everything he's done in the past decade.

Personally, I like the EU quite a lot. The OT and the EU are equal in terms of me liking them; although some of the EU books are not very good, you can't expect that many books to be uniformly excellent.

As for GL saying what's canon and changing everything around, etc. I say, who cares? I can still enjoy the books that are affected - if GL says 'That's not real' I just say, 'None of it's real!', and I read it all the same.

My problem with the prequels is that they just didn't draw me into the story like the prequels did (and some EU books do!). They, at least to me, did not have as much 'substance'. I still enjoy watching them, but it's kind of pale and washed out, if you catch my meaning.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge prequel fan. I was a little let down by TPM, but that's only because there was so much hype. I loved AOTC a ton. After seeing AOTC, I had a greater appreciation for TPM. ROTS will we awesome!!

I love the EU. My first experience with EU was with the Thrawn trillogy. This is where I first found out about Mara Jade (who I find fascinating) as well as other dark force users (Joruus C'Boath, Luuk Skywalker the clone, etc...). I loved the Han Solo trillogy. Truce at Bakura was interesting. The Jedi Academy series was o.k. I find that I like the EU less and less as the timeline progresses. I just don't get why Luke would need to have established his Praxium on Yavin 4, rather then the Jedi temple on Coruscant. (does the temple exist in the Emperial era?)

Like most other people here, I am more a fan of the EU in the games than in the literature. My favorite EU story is Shadows of the Empire. If George Lucas could grant me one wish, it would be a CG movie of Shadows of the Empire. They could get the original people to do their respective voices. I know ol' Sourpuss Harry Ford would never do Han Solo again. That's the beauty of Shadows of the Empire, Han's frozen in carbonite the entire time. So ol' Mr. Ford can just sit in the corner.

Just about the only thing I don't care for is the original series of Star Wars comics that game out after ANH. They don't follow the stories at all, and were designed more as pulp than anything else.

Originally posted by Prime

Why does everyone hate the preques and the EU so much?

I don't hate them, I even enjoyed watching them but in my opinion they are far from the OT in terms of quality for the reasons I explained above.

Do they though? I mean TPM made about $430 million, and AOTC made about $310 million. So obviously there is a sizable segment that enjoys them to one extent or another.

Just my 2 cents. :)

The name says it all: It's Star Wars...

Most of us feel the need to see the movies in Theathers, buy them when they come out on DVD, buy the new edition of the OT...and after watching them 5 + times each, criticize them all :p

Posted: Darth333

...they are far from the OT in terms of quality...

Possibly, but I'm not so sure. I think most people have a vast fondness of the original trillogy simply because it reminds them of better times (a.k.a. youth.) Most of us grew up with Star Wars as children. We watched cartoons like Droids and Ewoks, we watched the two Ewok movies, we saw the Muppets make fun of it continually, and we played with the original toys.

Now that the prequels are out, we don't capture them in the same way. I think it is because we are so nostalgic (in a very good way) toward the OT.

My fav of the OT movies is ESB. There's so much emotion in that movie, and the acting is IMO the best of all the movies.

I wonder if GL had done it in a different way, and made the movies in reverse order (or I guess IN ORDER) with the prequels first and sequels last, I think we would feel the same way toward whichever would be the Original Trilogy.

Such is the way of things...the way of the Force....:yoda:

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by JawaJoey

I think that most peoples' beef with the PT is that it's not the OT. That seems to be the problem.

Personally, I love the PT as much as I do the OT. I don't consider the PT classics as I do the OT, but they're newer, so duh.

The biggest, and probably most violating difference, is that the PT and OT look different. Take any particular scene, from either, and you can just tell, it's different.

the PT is more colorful. It's less gritty. And it's newer.

As much as I am a fan of new technologies, I really really like the reality of puppets and models over doing everything CGI. I appreciate what they can do and how things are easier to do in CGI, but actual things look realer. Ships in the OT are actually physical objects, and they look the part. I love that. And Puppet Yoda is a big leap from CGI Yoda.

Also, everyting is touch screen. Everything's shiny and new, with moniters with hologram buttons and stuff, and 30 years later, everyone's pushing actual buttons, in boxy, grey ships. It's things like that, changes from the look and feel of the universe that violate some people's perception of how the OT was.

I love the PT. I think they're great movies, but for some of the people who grew up accustomed to a specific feel of the look and feel of things in the star wars universe, and when it wasn't matched in the PT, some people were turned off.

I don't agree with those people, but that's just my theory as to why some people are ticked off at these newer movies. I just wish that some of them would shut up with their George Lucas hating rants. If you really appreciated George Lucas and his films, you wouldn't condemn him and everything he's done in the past decade.

Thank you for saying almost word for word my (and apparantly Ockniel's as well) exact opinion.

And rather than pay attention to what these authors have done with his characters, or even, I dunno, SET GUIDELINES FOR THEM TO FOLLOW SO IT DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH HIS MOVIES, GL pulls out his schlong, and just completely PISSES all over EU by saying "that's cannon" or "not part of my vision" or whatever the hell he comes up with.

GL does set guidelines and pay attention. Take NJO, he would not allow them to make the enemies Sith. He would not allow them to

Kill Luke instead of Chewie and Jacen instead of Anakin.

If he didn't care, he would have let them do whatever they want.

As far as my opinion of the EU, I love it. It gives us tons of new stories, characters, locations, etc. And has been mentioned before, so what if it isnt cannon. It does not make the stories less enjoyable. And as far as going against what SW is all about, or whatever, you dont have to accept that. Just ignore what you dont like, and accept what you do.

Archived