1. 1. When ?

• Before the full game is released
    • After the full game is released
    • Who Cares ?
    • What`s a Demo ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol what is that? The reason we don't see the PC demo is because the devs have hard time of finishing the game, making a demo takes some time aswell, so maybe they just were in a hurry. Spreading demos through p2p programs is legal and furthermore the devs wish that the demo WOULD spread, since that way more people would know about the game

I feel that they should (and will) release a demo because there are people that are unsure about buying the game because it may not run on their pc. I am one of those people. My computer can run the demo of Rome Total War for example, but it runs far to slow. I would have bought RTW and have been stuck with a slow game :) So i am a BIG fan of demos :p

Bantha's have alot of hair. Someone's gotta untangle all the Bantha turd right?

;)

It means you've got a long way to go in terms of posts baby.

Demos are great for benchmarking your PC interms of how well it will take to a particular game. CyberDragon, keep in mind that demos may present compatibility issues that arent apparent in the full retail release, so if a demo doesnt perform well on your machine, there is a chance that the complete version will.

I know the pain of worrying whether or not a game will run okay on your machine. I upgraded my PC just to play Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2, and if you really want to get in on Battlefront, save as wildly as you can and up whatever your system is lacking in.

Hopefully its not too downgraded.

Originally posted by CyberDragon

I feel that they should (and will) release a demo because there are people that are unsure about buying the game because it may not run on their pc. I am one of those people. My computer can run the demo of Rome Total War for example, but it runs far to slow. I would have bought RTW and have been stuck with a slow game :) So i am a BIG fan of demos :p

Yeah and that's exactly why they shouldn't release the demo from the marketing point of view. If you don't know if its gonna run on your comp you buy the game and try it out. IF you would get to try out the demo and see that it's unplayable at your comp you wouldn't buy the whole game then. But from my own perspective, release the PC demo, PLEASE :cool:

I believe the sole reason for Pandemic's holding off of a PC demo is the fact that it takes away their time from working in the full game, which ultimately will have a detrimental result on the final release in terms of overall quality.

A better move would be to release the recommended system specs as soon as possible. This would alleviate stress aswell as prompt those among the consumer who realise they need an upgrade, to promptly get one and allow them to purchase the retail copy once it hits the shelves.

I think being this close to the release date, the specs should be on us any day now. Have patience young one ;)

Originally posted by Dragnarr

Yeah and that's exactly why they shouldn't release the demo from the marketing point of view. If you don't know if its gonna run on your comp you buy the game and try it out. IF you would get to try out the demo and see that it's unplayable at your comp you wouldn't buy the whole game then. But from my own perspective, release the PC demo, PLEASE :cool:

I am not going to buy Battlefront unless they release a demo (edit: or the specs so i can see if i am all right to run it) so it cannot really put me off if i am already put off in the first place. :D

Originally posted by CyberDragon

I am not going to buy Battlefront unless they release a demo (edit: or the specs so i can see if i am all right to run it) so it cannot really put me off if i am already put off in the first place. :D

Why can't you just check the specs when the game comes to the stores?

It usually stands on the box.

Originally posted by Master William

the reason we don't see PC demos is that people would simply spread them through all sorts of P2P programs.

That doesn't make sense. A demo is supposed to be spread :\ Put on a website etc. I guess they get some extra $$ from OPM for their exclusive demo, i do not know.

Well no fear from P2P if the game is going to have a cd key. At first i thought it wouldnt, then "they" said they would get PB (which needs a cd key), but the strange thing is nothing is announced on punkbusters website so i guess it could come later...

Of course there is going to be a PC demo. It's just not out yet. They've already made a demo, and it's out for the PS2, and it's coming out for the XBox, and it's WAY easier to distribute demos for the PC. I dobut they'd go to the trouble of releasing it on the two consoles but overlooking the PC.

And who thought that they wouldn't prelease a PC demo because it'sd be distributed P2P. What the heck is wrong with you? That's never stopped anyone before, not to mention I MAKES NO SENSE. It's free, therefore legal. It would make MORE sense to not release the FULL game because of P2P downloading. And that doesn't make much sense at all.

I expecting the demo to come out any day now, not months from now. It would make sense for the PC demo to become available the same time as the Xbox one is, but that might not be the case. Lucasarts usually releases their demos before the game comes out, but not that long before.

Right now, I'm thinking of Jedi Academy, which came out about this time last year. I was excited about that and was praying for a demo, and as the release date grew nearer, I was becoming afraid there would be no demo, at least not before the official release. Then, one or two weeks before it came out, the demo comes, and quenches my eagerness for the next few weeks.

Today, on September first, predict that the PC demo will be available for download within 10 days.

I am not completely sure of all the facts but here goes:

Warcraft 3 was released without a demo. I bought the game regardless because i was interested enough and i had completely ignored the fact that i could have played the demo. Warcraft 3 was released around November. The demo appeared in the Christmas issue of PC Gamer.

PC Gamer widely recognised Warcraft 3 and there is no doubt that they would have included the demo in their DVD if there was one. So basically the demo was released approx 2 months after the game.

Again, ill repeat that i am not completely sure, Blizzard could have released 2 demos, one that i had not known about, but there you go. Maybe Blizzard relied on the Hype to sell the game, and not a demo.

Originally posted by Master William

the reason we don't see PC demos is that people would simply spread them through all sorts of P2P programs.

Let me rephrase: People would spread the PC demo of a game that isn't even released yet.

Would be similar to the 'leaking of BETA versions' episodes, you know... Half-Life 2, Doom 3 (I think) and Jedi Academy

Well, it still doesn't make sense. Demo is intentionaly released for wide public, it has limited content and is supposed to reflect the final product as well as it's possible to advertise the game. On the countrary, leaked beta is a buggy unfinished version with deffinetelly more content than any serious developer would ever like to reveal to world in this phase of development.

Archived