Home

Don't hold your breath for tools

richcz3

I don't expect LA to make any tools As far as I know to date, none have been made for their other SW titles. I expect if the game actually does sell well, LA will come out with an expansion pack first.

As far as patches to improve the current gameplay, it is also a wait and see. This is a great console game that works well on a PC, but it is a console port none the less. Unless someone has a definative interview where LA or Pandemic mention a continuing support for SWBF, this is it.

richcz3

Lies. that's a strong statement to make. Get some facts straight and support what you state. I stated. "Unless someone has a definative interview where LA or Pandemic mention a continuing support for SWBF, this is it." Post your link to the interview.

Quake tools are not supplied by Lucas Arts. If you use MAX, Milshape and maybe Radient for level design you can edit Jedi KNight games. Those games use id softwares Quake3 engine and you edit files and models and compile back to the .pk3 file sytem. Battlefront does not use the Quake3 engine.

Pandemic designed SWBF and it is a proprietary engine which means there are currently no tools available. Pandemic would be required to release tools to understand the file structure and modify the assets.

richcz3

Please let there be modding tools.

I never cared for the Star War games. I come from a Raven Shield BF42. I'm finding SWBF to run really well, (without a patch!) I'm sure I'm starting to leave RvS to play this game. I'm getting my clan to start playingTEXCLAN, but if mod capabilities are not going to be available for SWBF I'd just play it until another good first person multiplayer game comes along.

For what it's worth, I think SWBF will take a lot of the MP market. But when a first person MP game that runs as well as SWBF comes out with modding capabilities, SWBF will just drop off to the normal Star War fans, and the MP gaming community will move on and me with it.

Originally posted by SEN 5241

Please let there be modding tools...... if mod capabilities are not going to be available for SWBF I'd just play it until another good first person multiplayer game comes along.

Exactly. Well put. I am pretty happy with the curent gameplay. But it's late September and we are headed for the holidays. A bunch of titles have gone gold in the past month. If there are no mod or edit tools released then SWBF will give way to the next best title that supports the players and mod community.

I've already done a search. Unfortunately LA doesn't appear to have a history of providing any tools for their proprietary game engines. SWBF may go the way of BF1942 where the community had to hack the file structure to allow modding. :(

richzc3

I am openly optimistic that there will be a patch for the server side issues. Most definately a consideration for the 20 FPS in MP.

If in a month or two the sales for the PC quadruple, I expect LA/Pandemic to issue news regarding an expansion pack.

At some point before then someone may develop tools ala BF1942, so people can make smaller game changes.

richcz3

Originally posted by richcz3

I don't expect LA to make any tools As far as I know to date, none have been made for their other SW titles. I expect if the game actually does sell well, LA will come out with an expansion pack first.

As far as patches to improve the current gameplay, it is also a wait and see. This is a great console game that works well on a PC, but it is a console port none the less. Unless someone has a definative interview where LA or Pandemic mention a continuing support for SWBF, this is it.

i think your final sentence is completely contradictory to the rest of your statement. where is your proof that there will not be modding tools nor patches?

sure jedi outcast and jedi academy are based on the quake 2 engine, but there is a JKRADIANT for people to make maps with, and it's available on raven's website. members of raven software even help jk2/ja modders in that part of the forums from time to time, and are more than willing to provide needed information.

lucasarts probably won't be the ones making/releasing any tools, so that part of your statement is dead-on. odds are, and has been seen in the past, it's the developer (pandemic studios in this case), NOT the publisher who provides follow-up support.

and with the holidays fast approaching, don't you think they would be encouraged to release tools and/or patches, because that can only drum up more interest in the game. more interest means more sales ...

Originally posted by adillon

i think your final sentence is completely contradictory to the rest of your statement. where is your proof that there will not be modding tools nor patches?

sure jedi outcast and jedi academy are based on the quake 2 engine, but there is a JKRADIANT for people to make maps with, and it's available on raven's website. members of raven software even help jk2/ja modders in that part of the forums from time to time, and are more than willing to provide needed information.

lucasarts probably won't be the ones making/releasing any tools, so that part of your statement is dead-on. odds are, and has been seen in the past, it's the developer (pandemic studios in this case), NOT the publisher who provides follow-up support.

and with the holidays fast approaching, don't you think they would be encouraged to release tools and/or patches, because that can only drum up more interest in the game. more interest means more sales ...

QFE.

I see no contradiction.

The first paragraph addresses TOOLS the second paragraph addresses PATCHES. These are two seperate points and for the most part both are wait and see. If I was asked which one I would expect to see first tools or a patch, I would bank on a multiplayer patch.

If anyone or any group decided to start making "unoffcial" tools for SWBF, I would really be interested in LA's response.

richcz3

Why is there an edit forum on this site if modding won't be available? :confused:

I think I'll just sit back and wait until tools are available.

I'm sure someone will start a thread where the right info will be placed. Otherwise this just seems to be blah blah blah until to tools ARE out.

Vinny Luvs All

Originally posted by TEXVINDICTIVE

Why is there an edit forum on this site if modding won't be available? :confused:

I've been wondering that myself. How long has this forum been open? Plans change or they could actually be waiting to see if people dig (hack) into the file structures.

Some developers actualy encourage players trying that. I guess it shows a genuine interest in their game. Look at BF1942 and DICE. Wings of War developers are another. But if LA uses that community model, they may not intend to release any tools. :confused:

richcz3

I see no contradiction.

your contradiction lies in the fact that you predict there will not be a release of editing tools nor a patch, without any proof to back you up. and yet your last sentence explicitly states that you want 'official' proof to the contrary.

your contradiction lies in the fact that you predict there will not be a release of editing tools nor a patch, without any proof to back you up. and yet your last sentence explicitly states that you want 'official' proof to the contrary.

What?

Are you from Kensington + Allegheny? Oh wait you can read and write.

Are you on crack?

If someone from who ever produced the 3D rending software for the game would just release a statement, then I think we would all know a timetable for working on things.

Until then blah blah blah.:o

Vinny

whoa whoa whoa, don't be bashing K&A ... the crack wh0rez gotta live somewhere. :p

back on topic ... the game's been out for what, a week? of course there aren't editing tools out yet. a patch is probably a little while off yet as well ... and no, i don't have 'official' proof stating when it would be released. but tell me, how many games have you ever bought/played that didn't have some kind of patch released eventually? i can't think of any, at least none in my collection. now, whether or not i downloaded them is a different story. modding tools can only add to a game's longevity. just look at half-life/counter strike/natural selection/day of defeat ... if it wasn't for community modding efforts this game would've died out years ago. but it's the mods that help breathe new life into a game when it's beginning to lose its luster.

so for richcz3 to be so negative about ongoing support for battlefront in the future is ridiculous. sure this game may have its flaws, which a patch would *hopefully* fix. sure people want editing tools so they can make a WW2 mod for battlefront (please take note of the sarcasm). in order for this game to be successful pandemic would be smart to release a patch and tools for the community's creative use. sure nobody has any definitive proof that they ARE working on such things, but at the same time nobody has any proof that they ARE NOT doing so ... so let's all be optimistic in the matter, shall we?

Originally posted by adillon

so for richcz3 to be so negative about ongoing support for battlefront in the future is ridiculous. sure this game may have its flaws, which a patch would *hopefully* fix.

Speaking of bashing. Mind yourself, would you.

I'm always searching for information to base my comments on, not blind faith. Now, if you will take time to note, I have posted a quote from one of the developers stating they are working on it. Now can we try an be a little more civil. Or is that asking too much? Now are you going to take another swipe at me?

Read This Thread Here

richcz3

Don't care for flame wars myself.

My comments are based on LA's support history.

See my link in the previous post about work Pandemic is doing on an upcoming patch. Of course Tools are another story altogether and the emphasis of this thread. To date, in my searches there are no interviews or sites that mention support for engine, terrain, or asset modability. But I am still searching.

richcz3

That's good to know if LA was actually involved in the process.

My current resevations are the fact that this game is a mult port product. 2 consoles and the PC. Somebody made a point to note that the PC users are weighing heavy on the technical support forums. Read that as more technical bugs for the PC.

In the interviews Pandemic has been asked about tools and always say they will wait to see how things go. I think the number 1 priority for Pandemic is the Server side functions. These need to be squared away before any modding tools. Spytle from Pandemic has said they are working on it so we'll just have to wait it out a bit.

richcz3

That's good to know if LA was actually involved in the process.

My current resevations are the fact that this game is a mult port product. 2 consoles and the PC. Somebody made a point to note that the PC users are weighing heavy on the technical support forums. Read that as more technical bugs for the PC.

In the interviews Pandemic has been asked about tools and always say they will wait to see how things go. I think the number 1 priority for Pandemic is the Server side functions. These need to be squared away before any modding tools. Spytle from Pandemic has said they are working on it so we'll just have to wait it out a bit.

richcz3

Are you saying that they may not rlease the SDK because it is a multi port product?

In the interviews it was asked if there would be the possibility to mod SWBF with supplied tools. In each interview I've read they have answered with a wait and see.

Now there are TOOLS and there's an SDK. I would expect some exraction/compile and map tools to help with mods but not an SDK. If they released an SDK I would be blown away. Note that SDKs are almost always released for Quake engined games. This engine is proprietary.

As for my concern with the Console/PC connection is that the support team is spread accross three seperate platforms. It may take allot longer than normal to get all the issues sorted out for the PC. And the PC version takes the cake with support issues/problems.

richcz3

Archived