Home

Need Advice - Is it worth 40 Euros?

Broox

Hi there!

I was very interested in swbf since the game came up, but after the release i heard/read as well good and bad things about it.

I´m still interested in the game and want to buy it, but i have some questions to all the guys out there who own it yet. First, i have to say that i LOVE online shooters from every genre - i like raven shield as well as unreal tournament as well as BF42 and BFV and JO. (but i dont like soldner, but thats another story...).

- Is it worth the buy?

- Is it much different to BF42 - GC-Mod?

- Many bugs?

- Connection Problems?

- If you were me and you play the games i mentioned before, would it be fun for you (me) playing it? :D

Hope you guys can help me and maybe i´ll kill you online this evening... ;-)

Cheers and thx in advance!

yours, broox

thx guys

But i heard from some sides that is not much more of a bf - mod (not GC, but it´s a starwars-style copy of BF42/BFV).

I own both (42andV). are there any innovations of this genre? Or is it just another standard-online-fps?

Thx again, broox

if you read the Gamespot and Gamespy reviews they both agree (as well as I agree) that this game has no real innovations above and beyond the star wars content.

Your enjoyment of this game will be in direct propportion to your starwars fandom (although if you are some star wars purist hypergeek you may freak out that the sound of the blast cannon is not exactly the right timbre)

If you are a huge fan of BF and BFV and expect this game to have everything those games have and more then you will be dissapointed...you will have to wait for BF2 next March.

Then there are those of us who are huge Star Wars fans and Huge BF fans...like myself. For us there is a love/hate relationship with this game. Love the Star Wars, hate the limitations (and can only hope that eventually they work them out, but as of now that is purely based on 'hope')

I would say wait. If and when subsequent patches and/or player-made mods sort all the problems and shortcomings with this game, it has the potential to become a good game. At the moment, it isn't.

As to the comparison with the Galactic Conquest mod, I would say that, in all areas bar graphics, Galactic Conquest is actually better.

It's worth it if you like the idea of an OFFICIAL game that lets you play all the classic SW land battles and if you think that BF1942 type games are pretty cool but are quickly bored of games set in WWII. Also if you think they are too drawn out and want something more "arcadey" (which I actually like about this game), this is your cup of tea.

The only "love/hate" I experience in this game is when I'm playing as a rebel and Darth Vader cuts me down from behind. :D

Given the value of the euro, it's not worth it right now. The gameplay is often downright silly with a tank commander spamming command points and people jumping, rolling and shooting rockets at the ground to kill people. It's truthfully not that good of a game if you want to use even one ounce of your brain. It's very twitch reflex based currently and combat often boils down to who is lagging the least.

It's truthfully not that good of a game if you want to use even one ounce of your brain. It's very twitch reflex based currently and combat often boils down to who is lagging the least.

I hear this all the time. From RTS games to FPS to competitive games to laid-back open play. I've come to the conclusion that people who feel this way just aren't that good or simply like to whine. You complain that people use too many hotkeys and strafe too much. Strafing is just another way of looking around a corner while making you least vulnerable. Isn't "twitch reflex" a redudancy? I can't think of anywhere in this game where there are reflexes. Is moving the mouse an inch to change your aim too much for you? It's all about simple aim (which is quite forgiving), pushing strategical and tactical advantage, and using your weapon to the best of your ability. If a missile troop is able to kill you then you're obviously letting him get too close. Start using more than an ounce of your own brain and maybe you'll have better success.

Are there bugs? Of course there are. People should not be able to roll like they do. But that doesn't get abused all that much and aim is made difficult as a result. And there's almost no lag. Or it's atleast evened out. Every server I'm on everybody basically has ~100 ping. Did you maybe think that just because someone headshotted you it might be because their aim is refined and not because they are on better cable than you? My advice: get better and stop complaining about stuff that is easily countered. Snipe the bastard for goodness sake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's truthfully not that good of a game if you want to use even one ounce of your brain. It's very twitch reflex based currently and combat often boils down to who is lagging the least.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear this all the time. From RTS games to FPS to competitive games to laid-back open play. I've come to the conclusion that people who feel this way just aren't that good or simply like to whine.

And there you would be mistaken on absolutely. I am routinely in the number one position on this game and can show screenshots of things like 65 to 3 kill ratios in the game. I've been playing these games since the original wolfenstein 3D. I'm extremely good at them, have played been on the number 2 squad based team in America's Army, etc.

Battlefront is ridiculously EASY. Lamely so. Battles typically take place at the exact moment the two people who have respawned run back toward each other and happen to encounter each other again. Using the terrain, squad tactics, marksmanship, etc. are all very limited in this game as well as piloting. This is a simple arcade style game and there are much better ones on the market to fill this niche.

The game could be made a hell of a lot better and I don't know why people like you can't realize that or think that it's good gameplay to watch people rolling around on the ground in a ball like some throwback to the original Metroid (ya know, the one on the original Nintendo?) is not good gameplay, detracts from the Star Wars atmosphere and is just plain silly. If you can't realize that strafing is being used for a hell of a lot more than peaking around corners, you're rather lacking in perception skills.

You claim the game is about pushing strategical advantages, etc... Hardly. It's about a bunch of lame ass respawning by people who run out and get gunned down constantly instead of people pausing to think for a moment because the gameplay does not encourage it. With a stack of 250 lives behind you, why not run around wreckless and carefree, strafing and rolling on the ground?

If you've not seen missile troops effectively use their rockets fired straight into the ground on close quarter maps, you will. In fact, I use the tactic often myself. I'm more than capable of killing people with every single manner I've described as being bad gameplay (I roll around, strafe, jump and shoot rockets into the ground with the best of them). However, that does not make it good gameplay. You're far too quick to assume that I'm some hapless victim of this silliness when in fact, I'm using it all the time because it is stupidly the most effective way of killing people when lives barely matter and the action involves a bunch of morons strafing around, jumping, spamming grenades, rolling around and being idiots BECAUSE THE GAME'S RULESET ENCOURAGES IT.

So why don't you climb off your high horse and stop thinking that because a person (and there are more than just me) can recognize silly, repetive and mind-numbing gameplay when they see it that they simply must suck.

Care to meet me on a server sometime? Oh, that's right... the server browser sucks so bad we'd probably never find each other. Get the point?

Originally posted by Iceman_IX

I hear this all the time. From RTS games to FPS to competitive games to laid-back open play. I've come to the conclusion that people who feel this way just aren't that good or simply like to whine.

Iceman, Soulfire42 said it best, but I have to say that you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Broox, I'm not paying for this game until I know lucasarts is going to give it a big patch.

Great game! It is worth the money. It still has some minor bugs that need to be worked out. Its not like Glactic Conquest or BF1942 same idea but totally different. After installing the game or before lol just be sure to update your video card drivers :)

Best of Luck,

Vmontice

Tie Fighter Pilot/AT-AT Pilot :)

AT-AT Pwns

:atat:

I see where you're coming from now but you're expecting Battlefront to be something it can't be. I in no way think Battelfront is the pinnacle of quality gameplay. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. It's innately flawed. But it's designed to be fun, not highly competitive.

The Battlefield engine is wide-open gameplay. It's not supposed to be the tight gameplay you find in CounterStrike or Ghost Recon. I frowned on Battlefield for years because it was arcadish and didn't pit raw skill against raw skill. But the wide-open style that is designed into this engine (mobility, lots of weapons at your disposal, shying away from balance and focusing on throwing two waves of people against each other) fits StarWars aptly. The gameplay suits multiple styles, not just competitive perfectionists, but people who enjoy playing a game purely for the carefree fun. The game is fantastical fun and ridiculous occurrences are half the enjoyment of the gameplay. X-Wings barrelling into hills to take out ground vehicles, falling off the side of a cliff, your body being rocketed 20 feet into the air. Ask anyone who plays Battlefield and they've got more stories of grenading teammates accidentally, suiciding by happenstance, and vehicles colliding in spectacular displays than they do of going 5 straight minutes without dying, headshotting everyone, and taking every node on the map alone.

It's ridiculously fun. It'll be funner when the kinks get worked out.

Originally posted by Broox

thx guys

But i heard from some sides that is not much more of a bf - mod (not GC, but it´s a starwars-style copy of BF42/BFV).

I own both (42andV). are there any innovations of this genre? Or is it just another standard-online-fps?

Thx again, broox

Like Alegis said about being similar to the bf - mod, you really can't compare.... it's so much better, clearly.

As for style yes it's quite similar to the BF series, because it's the same genre. But that goes for any genre, they're all the same besides some major/minor tweaks here and there.

Tribes is the oldest game that comes to my mind that branched the 1st person shooters into teamplay strategy, capture command points on a map.

Originally posted by Broox

thx guys

Thx again, broox

Like Alegis said about being similar to the bf - mod, you really can't compare.... it's so much better, clearly.

As for style yes it's quite similar to the BF series, because it's the same genre. But that goes for any genre, they're all the same besides some major/minor tweaks here and there.

Tribes is the oldest game that comes to my mind that branched the 1st person shooters into teamplay strategy, capture command points on a map.

Originally posted by Soulfire42

I've been playing these games since the original wolfenstein 3D.

Yeah, well I've been playing since the original pong. My idea of the best Star Wars game was "The Empire Strikes Back" for the Atari 2600. Well, this game has the potential to replace that game at the top of my list.

You say the game has repetative gameplay, you imply that it's has a run and gun style. Well, open your eyes, so does every other fps in existance, even your beloved America's Army. I have seen AA servers that were all out run n gun fests. Spray and pray. So I could sit here and copy your review for SWB and just change all references from SWB to AA.

So, take your "holier than thou" attitude and shove it, before your ego starts writing checks that you can't cash.

Archived