Home

George Lucas Debate

Sam Fisher

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ET Warrior

Well at least you explained the meaning behind that post.....

er...

:dozey:

hmm...ET, to me it sound like you need to join "OOTA", apart from being one of greedos famous lines...."Oota goota Solo?" it is also a support group for "Obsessed-Original Trilogy Admirers"

here you go, have a card :D

ootagootasolo.gif

:p

mtfbwya

That card is hilarious :p

I don't whine about old visions etc cause its all GL' idea and i'm glad he came up with it in the first place because i <3 star wars.

"I love star wars... BUT I HATE GL FOR MAKING IT. GAH I HATE GL! WISH YOU NEVER WERE BORN!"

Originally posted by Cpt. Bannon

the only problem i have with the prequels is that the technology is better than in the OT...does lucas have any explanation for that?

The prequels show when the universe was free, and full of wonder. In the OT you see it when it's gloomy and ruled by a horrible dictator. One can assume when the emperor came into power, he spent more money on mass production ships and battle cruisers, and the like. Where as the Republic had spent money to make things elegant and appealing, but still workable. One can also assume that the emperor ceased production on a lot of things to make factories to produce his parts for the Death Star. Basically you've seen in past events that when a dictator takes over things go from beatiful to dull and dreary, old and worn. This is because of war, and uprising among those brave enough to fight to regain freedom.

Basically there is a massive war going on in the PT and instead of worrying about making things look pretty the emperor just makes things that work, and work well so he can just crush the rebellion. In the PT the republic didn't have very many enemies and they could concentrate on making things aesthetically appealing.

Originally posted by Alegis

"I love star wars... BUT I HATE GL FOR MAKING IT. GAH I HATE GL! WISH YOU NEVER WERE BORN!"

I hate people that say that. Makes me wanna grab a knife and go groin stabbing.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

What dumbass admin screwed this thread?

wow, so much respect. I can feel the love drowning me. :dozey:

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Sorry, but it might be better for you to have kept the thread together...

Not likely, since the other thread had nothign to do with THIS debate about Lucas, if you want to read the comments about the 115 million that was made on September 21st you can read THAT thread if you want to debate on whether or not Lucas is insane you can read THIS thread :dozey:

All he has to do is release the Original's, and everyone is happy.

Think about it for a second. Lets say Leonardo da Vinci created the Mona Lisa, and showed it to the people, and they loved it. 30 years later, he took it back, made a copy, changed it to have a man, a new location, and added a pony tail. He then showed them the new one, and they thought it was good, but they still liked to original. So Leonardo buried itthe original underground and payed a guard to make sure no one ever saw it again, EVER, claiming that the Mona LIsa is his, and the people are wrong to question his ability to destroy and edit it. Sure, technically, he does. But the fact is the artist gave something to the community, and it's just wrong to take it away. It's like a b**chy wife divorcing a man from her and his children. Ok, maybe thats a bit far, but I hope you catch my drift.

BTW, in the new DVD, if you watch it in slow-mo, they shoot at the same time.

Originally posted by InuYahsa

All he has to do is release the Original's, and everyone is happy.

Think about it for a second. Lets say Leonardo da Vinci created the Mona Lisa, and showed it to the people, and they loved it. 30 years later, he took it back, made a copy, changed it to have a man, a new location, and added a pony tail. He then showed them the new one, and they thought it was good, but they still liked to original. So Leonardo buried itthe original underground and payed a guard to make sure no one ever saw it again, EVER, claiming that the Mona LIsa is his, and the people are wrong to question his ability to destroy and edit it. Sure, technically, he does. But the fact is the artist gave something to the community, and it's just wrong to take it away. It's like a b**chy wife divorcing a man from her and his children. Ok, maybe thats a bit far, but I hope you catch my drift.

yes, Leo could do that, many would get upset, but its his artwork(well technically no because he was commisoned to do it but thats another story :p) ANY ARTIST MUST have the right to do with their work what they see fit, whether consumers and critics agree or not. For example, lets say GL said, OK, Im taking the ewoks out of ROTJ, alot of us would yell HURRAH ! but many many ppl would also whine and complain...... you just cant win ! :p

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ET Warrior

Lucas was under no obligations to make the prequels, and I doubt he would ahve taken any flak for NOT making them since nobody would have expected them. Just because a movie is good doesn't mean everybody wants a sequel, some movies have enough merit to stand alone.

However, once Lucas decided to make the prequels he still wasn't OBLIGATED to make them as good as the OT (though I think that was his goal...)

Lucas IS however, obligated to offer the original trilogy to his fans in the best quality available (DVD). Now wait you say, he's done this, but you are wrong. He has not offered me the Original Trilogy that I saw growing up, but this new fanciful version, which is his decision to make I give him that. If he wants to put an ewok and a gungan in every scene of his movie he can go right ahead. But the fact that he is simply ignoring all the cries of the fans to get the Original Trilogy the way we fell in love with it on DVD is asinine and ridiculous.

He DOES owe it to the fans to give us that, because without the fans he wouldn't have enough money to make all his changes, and he never would have been able to produse the Prequels.

Just because it's HIS vision doesn't mean he doesn't owe us anything for making him what he is.

OH MY GOD, SHUT UP! If you're stupid enough to buy into a crazy man's work you deserved to be ****ed over. George Lucas doesn't owe you jack ****, and you should be ****ing grateful that he even made the original movies. I have watched the OT and the prequals. I see no difference whatsoever except for the better graphics.

About the changes Lucas made to the OT. They are very minor. Greedo Shooting first? Who the **** cares? Making it so you can't see a rope holding up everything? Good. In the special features of the OT DVD's there's some footage from the original, and then from the DVD version. You can see white stuff around the falcon, a rope holding it up, Bespin looks really bad. I think all the changes he made were for the better. And even if they weren't, it's not like he changed the plot or anything.

*Mind your manners* ~ET

I did like the part in your rant, (which I deleted for the flaming and vulgarity) where you made a reference to me as though I were a child, when in fact your post makes me think that you're probably 15-16 years old, so perhaps you should think before you flame. (actually, don't flame at all, it's against the rules.)

Anyways, you need to cool it mister, not only was that outburst unnecessarily rude, it was also pointless. So I have an oppinion on something that you disagree with. OH NOES! Accept that not everybody thinks special effects are the only things that are important in a movie. :dozey:

i think that once ep 3 hits and people can watch the movies in succesion that prequel haters will come to appreciate them more.

maybe not.

there really is no point in arguing because everyone has their own taste.

but without the prequels there would be no...

view of the republic, the separatists or the clone wars..

no jedi fighting together...

none of the new races, worlds, technology...

no backstory for anakin, obi-wan, etc.

i am very grateful for the prequels.

I'm probably in the minority (especially because it seems 'trendy' to dislike the prequels these days), but I watched all of the OT DVDs and then the two prequels in the last couple weeks, and I have to say that I enjoyed them all.

The prequels, to me, seem to work backward. I hated Episode I for the longest time because it was sort of absent and seemed unrelated to everything I knew. Then Episode II came out and I found it much more bearable. The battle scenes on Geonosis were fun and I thought that it was on a similar level to the OT movies. I vowed never to watch Episode I again.

However, I caved since I had watched all four of the others, I watched Episode I again (after watching II) and it actually seemed interesting.

Like thejeditraitor said, maybe the entire prequel set will seem 'better' after Episode III is out, and the set of movies will flow within themselves, rather than seem like tangents.

thejeditraitor: After going to your site (which has some neat pics and spoilers) I can't help but hope that there will be a patch or an add-on for Battlefront that will add some of those cool looking Episode III characters and vehicles ;)

thanks man,

i hope they can as well, except i have the ps2 version boo hoo!

i like what you said about the prequels. they are like "backward compatible".

i think that once all is said and done people will say "i still hate jar jar or the ep 2 dialogue" or whatever but they will see how it all fits together.

it amazes me how lucas can begin the PREQUELS 25-30 years later with the same passion and fire, make things fit together and be doing it sort of backwards to the starting point of the ot. because if you look at it, it's really like positive and negative sides of the story.

-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3

you have zero as the starting point, the ot and then he goes backwards 3 notches to begin the saga with episode one. kind of like counting backwards to the middle with the ideas and similarities. fans of the ot will really notice how much ep 3 looks like ep 4, 5 and 6. and then, if they stop prequel hating, they can watch them all and see the slow changes.

Everyone has their own opinion. I like all the Star Wars movies...However I'm not a fan of the expanded universe. A lot of people always wondered how Darth Vader came to be and how the Empire got started. Once the Prequels came out people started complaining. People will never be happy with what you give them. I'm sure that if the situation was reversed (Episodes 1, 2, 3 came out first then 4, 5, 6) people would be wondering what happend...Did the Empire take over or what? Now that's a topic for new thread...

Originally posted by thejeditraitor

thanks man,

i hope they can as well, except i have the ps2 version boo hoo!

i like what you said about the prequels. they are like "backward compatible".

i think that once all is said and done people will say "i still hate jar jar or the ep 2 dialogue" or whatever but they will see how it all fits together.

it amazes me how lucas can begin the PREQUELS 25-30 years later with the same passion and fire, make things fit together and be doing it sort of backwards to the starting point of the ot. because if you look at it, it's really like positive and negative sides of the story.

-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3

you have zero as the starting point, the ot and then he goes backwards 3 notches to begin the saga with episode one. kind of like counting backwards to the middle with the ideas and similarities. fans of the ot will really notice how much ep 3 looks like ep 4, 5 and 6. and then, if they stop prequel hating, they can watch them all and see the slow changes.

The thing I can't decide yet is when my little one is old enough to enjoy these movies, all six will be out. How should she watch them? 4-6 then 1-3 or 1-6? The biggest problem with 1-6 is the big reveal in ESB is diminished...

Archived