Home

Hoth Map Mod

kingguru

Originally posted by tea-cosy

I agree that an X-wing would be good on Hoth.

Do you know what happens if you join or host a game in multiplayer whilst you have an edited file?

I'd imagine you'd get some kind of out of synch error and crash out, though I haven't tried it.

first off are there any build tools for modelers to make new ships?

I believe some people have started this already using 3D Studio Max, which can export files that can be used in most games to date.

Very nice work Subsonic, getting the xwing is a great jump from being vehicle limited by faction/map, im assuming you adjusted the mission.lvl to make this happen.

If I make the maps bigger and change the floor textures , you could add trees and other Props_ & Bldg_ tiles and we could get a pre editor map going for users. Maybe a while to get other skybox added since Ive discovered the images are in binary in the actual files themselves, the editor used to make swb is very unique in the way that binary images are hard coded into the editor/game engine, there wont be any dir/folder uncompressing like in bf42 & bfv. If you check the hex in mission.lvl and common.lvl underneath the actual calls to variables on units and players and such there are actual binary images hard coded in...(tells me that swb will be releasing some PAY addons in the near future.

Thanks, although I believe the vehicles are still restricted to factions present on the map (yes, I edited xwing into the mission.lvl under hoth, after it calls SIDE/all.lvl. More details when I release the patch). :) This sounds good, so far I haven't looked at level textures and some first attempts at expanding the map size restrictions ended in crash to desktop. I also need to figure out how and where the co-ordinates for vehicle spawns are stored so I can get changing those.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but so far I've tried to keep the exact size of all the files the same - I think changing the size of the files may be responsible for bldg_ and such going missing (if other files are calling specific bytes from the files and those bytes have moved). The results seem good so far, but if it's the case that the files have to stay the same size to prevent these bugs it's really going to limit the changes we can make until we get some tools to recompile the .lvl files properly. :rolleyes:

On the bright side, I'm pretty happy with the way my modified hoth map is playing (though there are some bugs), so I looked into my idea of making a patch to send out, which should be available in an hour or so. :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'll make a little more happen on the map before making a download/file update but for now I have the entire hoth map (mapped) and plotted with all spawn points in the engine, locations and images mapped etc..

In these latest update to Hoth (which I have selected for modding 1st as its easiest to see the whole map etc.. for editing purposes.)

Tonights update was all vehicles, I was able to make hoth into a vehicle testing ground , although its not historical as there are faction crossing (mixed)vehicles the map is very balanced and about 80% more interesting as now there are usually 4-8 more objects flying around, firing, causing chaos! after much test play Ive balanced the map with Y-wing for both rebel and Imperial troopers & Imperial Tie Fighters for both as well. The Snow speeders are removed and replaced with Taun Taun.

There were tiebombers, ywing, xwing, tiefighters, and a few other nice tricks in tonights tests. Adjusted some sounds and made changes to the muzzle size on some weapons, at one point I had atat muzzle fire coming from pistols , LOL!

Here is a first glimpse at the Imperial TieFighter and The rebel Y-Wing in Hoth. Both Factions are using/spawning these ships.

3flyshot.gif

Removal of At-St Snow Spawn and replaced with Y-Wing and Imperial TieFIghter Spawns. The bombing of At-Ats can be a real treat.

doublespawny.gif

Clear the Base, TieFighters Closing fast...

incomingTIE!.gif

A fun Ai Battle in Kash. Removed everything except unit spawn points (command points). and went berserk. After learning about HOTSPOTS in the maps/game, its alot of fun to see every single unit run to the same spot. The points drop real quick. (good target practice)

meleepanic.gif

Checking out more ships...I...think... there on our side, LOL!

ships.gif

Here I couldnt decide which Atat to let my puny lasers blast, its still fun wizzing around them in a vehicle that would never be seen in hoth.

pickatargetimpy.gif

Here I was able to spawn the birds (the red things flying around) , but this time they were in Endor!

rareredbirdsofendor.gif

Very nice kingguru! :)

I decided to release something so people could get a rough idea of what's possible, and so that people could look at the changes I made as an idea of how to get started.

Did you manage to increase the number of vehicle types available to use on the map (ie. adding to mission.lvl rather than replacing existing vehicles)? Also did you manage to get all sounds loaded for the vehicles?

Sub, In mission.lvl under hot1 ,Ive replaced the imp_atst _Snow with imp_fly_tiefighters and replaced all_fly_snowspeeeders with all_fly_ywing. The sounds are done the same way as drawing buildings. im testing out this evening making a whole new sound file , i.e. copy pasting other map sounds binary into the hoth sounds file replacing sounds from units I remove. You could even make a new sound file and simply reference it in mission.lvl load area for hot1.

Top priority list:

map enlarging (engine uses x,y,h,w)

Moving spawns, building and props to new map locations

floor tile and skybox swapping, ideally total floor and sky convert

altering (without glitch) the speed, and power of vehicles

altering (without glitch) the speed, and abilites of units & weaps

Sounds to match all updates

Refacing of buildings, props i.e. give a taun taun face to luke etc..

Making new binaries within files to allow for total conversion of current vehicles, and units.

I think we can muster up a generic editor based on LA editor but we need to go head on into replacing/testing the binaries for images/sounds in each file. They are added in the beginning of files, drawn in the middle and told where each piece of each vehicle, building or unit should go (assembled) at the bottom just below the drawing area. If we test out copy pasting chunks of say a spider leg and paste it on say lanother vehicles leg, well know right away how accessable the image swapping, editing will be:)

Newly discovered? These vehicles are all in the game, just spawn on other maps. The camera angle for 1st & 3rd person may be editable, figuring as how when you die, you see a wrap around of your own death then who killed you, like in bf1942. The cockpit such as in the Atat in hoth are locked down though , so you cant see the ful vehicle, they show cockpit or 1st person looking out with no cockpit, this most likely wont be changable.

The skybox is should be easy with further work but the things such as hard coded entrances to caves and such are a part of each map , so making new maps from old ones or making totally new maps are going to take some time...

Originally posted by Cyclone7

Is there a way to adjust the ticket/re-enforcements with the level editing you are doing? I'm sure being able to change it from 200 to like 500 or so would be a HUGE hit!!! Is there a way, or is this beyond the scope of what you are editing?

I'm sure it's there somewhere, but I haven't actually looked for it yet, will do a search in various files and see what comes up..

Someone on the forums had released a ticker memory trainer but I havent used it. They work in SPlayer only but all they do is locate the memory address for points and lock them in, look around in earlier posts there are links to it. Not the most importnant item on the table but it can easily be altered im sure.

Although I'm not releasing this in any downloadable mod , today I was experiement/testing limits of map units on hoth from all other maps here are some results.

I've also added the hover_ entity to allow for other vehicles types such as hover speederbikes from endor and other hover vehicles. This is now a Very vehicle heavy mod. I removed everything but 1st class and 3rd class units for each faction side, its making the game longer without ticket altering which is just what i wanted. Snipers and Troopers are it no rockets/pilot class.

Jedi for Singleplayer (Mp servers can alter files and run this but it will be the downfall for that server and most likely the playablility in general).

Hopefully the jedi class wont be appearing on (m)any mods, but im sure it will abused , its fun and all but you can rarely(if ever) die and 20% of the AI chooses Jedi so you'll have a gaggle of Darths from the get go. Im working on Luke so each side has a jedi as well. For balance , I may alter the jedi to be lower hitpoints/weap damage to make them a playable class that wont totally ruin the game.

On the map also I have placed ships from the enemy on each side, if players get there quick , they can use them , if not they auto explode in 10 seconds, as the base is not faction owned.

Darth goes killing....

screenshot_0104.gif Player select featuring Darth and his saber of light...

screenshot_0102.gif

Kill them all....

screenshot_0116.gif

Darth goes Taun Taun Strolling...this jedi aint walkin! screenshot_0124.gif

Ah the smell of sweaty taun taun after killing half the map... screenshot_0127.gif

Entering the Tiefighter with dark jedi. He shall feel at home.

screenshot_0130.gif

Another brave Rebel bites the dust...they just dont make em like they used to. screenshot_0110.gif

Yeah its funny...you should see the creations I've made this evening. Sadly I can never look at the actual gameplay the same as I have distorted/exploited everything in the past 18 hours of modding. but its ok, I think once we figure out everything that is user editable we can compile a nice release for the peeps.

Tonight I've learned more about the x,y,h,w of mapping in SWBF. Here are the 1st pics of Hoth , modded.

The Falcon has arrived.

thefalconhaslanded.gif

Falcon shot 2

falcon.gif

Falcon shot 3

falcon2.gif

The ever crowding map of Hoth!

falconspawn.gif

Protect the falcon at all costs.

protectthefalcon.gif

The atat totally ignore the falcon but these are nice shots of the action.

atatfalcon.gif

More in the am.

kinguru, good work.

It's a start but people are starting to understand the hex editor. Thank you for the detailed post.

For maps, has anybody been able to see if you can export the hex files to the Battlezone 2 editor and work with it? I don't have Battlezone 2 but it's suppose to be based on the same 3D engine.

Vinny:)

• 1 month later...

I would like to get into editing (wish there was an sdk). But before I do, can I ask, are you able to edit things like rate of fire? I hate how slow the AT-STs and other vehicles are. I know it would be very unfair with really fast shooting guns but it would definitly be very cool (least for me). So before I download the necessary things is this even possible? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Ok i want to know whut are the primary programs i need to mod a swbf map for example i want to add more at-ats and snowspeeders to an existing map like the hoth map ,i downloaded another hothmap thats been edited but the damn thing is way too big and the person that made it has the spawn points messed up ,so i want to change spawnpoints also and it needs more vehicles added. i have winxp o if anyone looking for this extended hothmap its in the new mappak 1 http://gametoast.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=8 once you play this hoth map you'll agree some things need changed as spawning and more equipment ect.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived