Home

Hoth Map Mod

kingguru

The hoth map is all I've edited for now. Here are some pics.

Added a Snow Speeder to the Imperial Spawn point replacing an At-St spawn. Immediatly an AI trooper unit and I jumped in and went rebel slaying. (not much use for a tow cable on a generator, lol) Be sure to look in the back seat, yes thats an imperial trooper in a good guy mobile! By default imperial users will not enter a speeder. Also note the other 2 dish/turrets have been removed.

imperialspeeder.gif

Here I added a Spawn point for At-St for the rebels side. Just outside the cave, this pops up where I removed a Taun-Taun. The insides of the cave have been removed. Sorry rebels! Its a far shot but its shows an empty cave and the at-st just popped.

rebelatst.gif

Here is another pic of the "Imperial Speeder" targeting the generator. ALL turrets and trenches have been removed to protect the innocent.

gen.gif

This pic shows a snowspeeder flying into a cave, this cave normally has a command post and cave entrance building. I flew through this into the main bridge/mil-falcon area , it was a blast...which moves the next pic which shows flying under the map and coming up wherever you want and not dying. Also funny was everytime I popped up through the snow above ,it displayed a guru killed darth vador message? jedis' dont like surprises , lol.

Fly by caving

flyintocave.gif

Fly around under the Map

flyundertheworld.gif

Hotspot on maps! (check common.lvl and hoth.lvl there are references to hotspots)

Removed All vehicles, removed most buildings , except generator and in this case I noticed that the maps used a hotspot (a place where most of the action is happening, it sent the jedi and most of the players to the trench , which was gone, so everyone fell to there deaths and the game ended in about 1.5 minutes. ((this is to confirm why jedi and most Ai units always run to the same area, it appears more death/killing attracts units to those areas. While on other maps such as the spire it appears the jedi are programmed to simply run to a pre programmed area. ie. spire for for evil,crashed ship base for good.))

http://www.strongholdworld.com/starwars/capnocaveent.gif[/img]

http://www.strongholdworld.com/starwars/nbhtrn.gif[/img]

You can edit vehicles as far as spawn points (moving vehicles that are supposed to be on the map from one place to another ) but the other crucial files do a check to see amounts of vehicles and type so in turn adding say 5 at-ats isnt going to happen until I find where else these are referenced, it appears mission.lvl , common.lvl and each map level reference each other at map load up. core.lvl appears to have more info for the xbox release than pc so I avoided it like the plaque.

Im using Hex to edit Hoth.lvl to achieve the above results nothing as of yet has crashed the game but in alot of cases everything except AI units/the generator and a few com devices are removed. Be sure to back up your files before editing them and to speed things up , dont close battlefront and restart after making mods, simply start bf, then minimize it at the single player/mulitplayer screen. Go to hexeditor and make your updates, save them and go back to the bf game, then load up your maps, do this over and over, the whole game doesnt need to load to see your changes only the map.lvl in this case hoth.lvl.

In hex you can see com_ , imp_ ,prop_ and bldg_ these are all editable, Ive replaced simply by copy pasting in hex :

com_ (meaning anything that interacts with a player in the way of health, ammo,and ownage of command post)

bldg_ (meaning anything the player enters NON vehicle) Turrets etc.. cave entances , exit , the bunkers and generators are all bldg_

Prop is anything like rocks, dirt, light structures, overhanging pipes etc.. none of these interact with the player unit, you simply view /experience them.

imp_ or hoth_ items are referencing the imp file & hoth_ file , where in most cases you can copy paste and get nice results,try swapping an at-st for a taun taun, etc... this is all dont easily in hoth.lvl using a hex editor (be sure to go into hex edit mode).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hoth editing continues, Ive been most successful in making these mods:

health health packs give 100% health vs. the usual 25%

(for modders : going into common.lvl has many of these at the end of the file)

making swaps between vehicles and spawn points and factions

(for modders : going into hoth.lvl and replacing names exactly as they appear for instance imp_walk_atat, imp_walk_atst_snow , all_walk_tauntaun , all _fly_snow_speeder = copy and paste these in any fashion to se what happens.. The at ats are the most tricky as others files reference them as a command post. (hehe get editing that common.lvl)

moving items such as health regen items and turrets

(for modders : going into hoth.lvl has many of these are int he file, look for PROP and BLDG_ and COM_ remember that com is the health/ammo/veh. health items copy and paste a bldg_Turret (which is a bldg over a com and enjoy the change)

Quick Hoth Mod quide

NOTE: backup all your files before editing them. Me nor this site is responsible for issues related to editing. (and reinstall is a $%^&)

IN this example it shows a total noob how to make a vehilce from the imperial side (_snow speeder) appear and be usable in the place of a worthless Taun Taun which spawns in several places on the map. It in no ways is a complete mod or playable masterpiece this shows how to move things...the rest is up to you! may the force be with you...

1.Download and install a hex editor , in this case im using UltraEdit 32 (check google ,the app is free for 45 days)

2. Open utraedit and tell it yes allow all general files to be associated with it. (or set up the app how you like) not too important for game editing.

3. Goto File, Open and find the C:\program files\lucasarts\star wars battelfront\gamedata\data\_lvl_pc\ and in this case HOT is the directory you want. so open HOT directory and click on hot1.lvl(the only file in there)

4. Your hex will fill up with jargon, thats good, now in the search box type in whatver you want to edit, in this example we are editing a snow speeder to appear where one of the taun taun spawns. So type in speeder, you will be taken to a line that says "all_fly_snow_speeder, COPY just that chunk as typed above , dont include periods or anything else.

5. Now go back to search and type taun, you will be taken to all_walk_tauntaun, PASTE exactly over all_walk_tauntaun with all_fly_snow_speeder.

6. Hit save, (knowing you have a backup hoth.lvl file) and open battlefront and enjoy your new imperial speeder.

Note also isnt modding anything else so many buildings, a few of the usual map items are removed. Trenches will remain in most cases but more than 50% of the buildings are gone as well as some turrets.

This is just an example. Happy modding!

good to hear.....Right now Im trying to expand maps via the barriers in the bottom of the maps files, which IM hoping essentially removes the "go back or die message" and allow you to go right off the map into the darkenss behind the skybox. And also trying to make lightsabers for everyone in hoth via all.lvl in the side directory. So far the lightsabers modding isnt going to well as its a jedi equipped only item but we shall see, the night is young.

Good luck sub!

Not yet, Ive learned that the files load only ones pertaining to the map your playing , so if the map doesnt include any units or vehicles that your trying to load it will crash on load and send you to the desktop.

But in most cases if you copy and paste things are seen in the file like in hoth.lvl , imp_ and all_ are used from the Side Directory to depict vehicles and spawn units. If you sawp anything from all_ and imp_ it will work, but adding something that the loading of the map never calls like another map vehicle will simply send you crashing.

If you check the bottom of the cis_ file , ive noticed that it details the actual drawing and graphics used to make each portion of the spider walkers in Geo Spire map, lower down youll see where you can actually move parts of the spider around and make more turrets, less legs, put an arm where a leg should be etc... my first few changes on this have gone ok but again everything on the entire map was removed expcept command posts and ALL AI units.

Interesting, I'll have to take a look at those spider walkers. Started tinkering with Hoth, for some reason it seems to be more forgiving to hacks than Endor is. So far I've given the Empire a snowspeeder and the Rebels an AT-ST, played it a couple of times and all objects still there, plays very nicely :) Only bug I noticed was that Empire AI doesn't want to use the speeder of it's own accord, though the Rebels will use the AT-ST. I'm going to be focusing on getting other vehicles into the map now.

In altering the mission.lvl I noticed that everything that is allowable on a map is listed by faction(a.k.a. SIDE) , open mission.lvl and search for hoth, then youll see just below it :

SIDE\all.lvl all_fly_snowspeeder all_inf_basicsnow all_inf_lukeskywalkersnow all_inf_smugglersnow all_walk_tauntaun

SIDE\imp.lvl imp_inf_basicsnow imp_inf_dark_troopersnow imp_inf_darthvader imp_walk_atat imp_walk_atst_snow imp_droid_probe

This shows EXACTLY what is allowed on the hoth map, all other maps are listed in this mission.lvl file just like this but listing the other vehilces / units that pertain to the map/zone.

Hope this helps you in regards to pulling vehics from other maps, its only going to happen through the mission.lvl file.

Where SIDE/All.lvl is referenced in mission.lvl under the Hoth map, All_inf_basicsnow refers to your trooper, vanguard, pilot and scout classes and All_inf_smugglersnow refers to your wookiee class. I tried changing all_inf_basicsnow to all_inf_basicurban to change the models to urban map ones, but I guess I missed a couple of things... :rolleyes:

Go Wookiees!

It looks like the specific unit textures/models for each level are defined in All.lvl, I'm going to try changing it there.

P.S. If you check the map on the character select screen you can see where I swapped an imperial ATST for the snowspeeder, and the TaunTaun for the ATST.

EDIT: It occurred to me that it'd be a fairly simple process to compile map 'patches' to change the specific bytes we're changing here. Not something I'm going to be trying just now though.

EDIT: Just below SIDE/all.lvl and SIDE/imp.lvl is AddUnitClass and a list of individual units for each side, removing any of these will remove that class from the map - possibility for a way for server admins to restrict certain classes on certain maps? Sniper Wars map anyone? :cool:

here are my suggestions...

hoth needs to be extended length-wise alot and width-wise just a little.

there need to be 4 at-ats, 3 at-sts and 2 tie-fighter spawns at a new imperial spawn point at the far side of the map.

the rebels need more snowspeeders and 2 x-wings.

there also need to be more rebel trenches.

there should be more rebel cannons and the a.i. should get in them and stay there. the rebel cannon emplacements also need to pack a little more punch.

the tickets need to be raised to at least 500 empire, 400 rebels.

(i know most of these are not possible yet)

In reply:Servers will require the edited file or the client will crash on load.

Very nice work Subsonic, getting the xwing is a great jump from being vehicle limited by faction/map, im assuming you adjusted the mission.lvl to make this happen.

If I make the maps bigger and change the floor textures , you could add trees and other Props_ & Bldg_ tiles and we could get a pre editor map going for users. Maybe a while to get other skybox added since Ive discovered the images are in binary in the actual files themselves, the editor used to make swb is very unique in the way that binary images are hard coded into the editor/game engine, there wont be any dir/folder uncompressing like in bf42 & bfv. If you check the hex in mission.lvl and common.lvl underneath the actual calls to variables on units and players and such there are actual binary images hard coded in...(tells me that swb will be releasing some PAY addons in the near future:)

As far as non lucasarts editors :) im on it! And dont worry ALL, there will be NO JEDI PLAYERS ON OUR RELEASES! lol, I messed around with jedi toys and quickly stopped when I realized I was creating a star wars battlefront downfall bomb.

first off are there any build tools for modelers to make new ships?

my excellent idea...

there need to be 3 rebel transports (see empire strikes back/ the first transport is away!!!! is already in the game) and part of your mission success is making sure they evacuate. that's where your x-wings/ties come in.

the transports act as spawn points until they take off. getting 2 away is a required victory objective for the rebs. 2 destroyed automatic defeat.

if the map is made alot larger it could work. the x-wings and soldiers have to protect the transports as a first priority and then destroy the at-ats. but you have to decide how much time to spend doing a little of each to get by.

on the other hand the tie-fighters try to sneak past the rebel's hardcore cannons to fire on the transports.

Archived