Home

Dimebag Darrel Dead???

CapNColostomy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that there are only a handful of you that come here that give a ****, and to that handful, this is probably old news. So this should be the last bump for this thread. Anyway, for those who don't know, and do care, Phil Anselmo was "not welcome" at the public memorial for Dimebag, or the private funeral, as per the wishes of Dimes family, the Abbotts.

If you've managed to read this far, the following is a transcript of Phils official public statement, which was released early yesterday, and was something I've been very curious about since Dimebags demise.

Keith Spera of The Times-Picayune has issued the following report:

The onstage killing of former bandmate "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott has left ex-PANTERA vocalist and north shore resident Phil Anselmo distraught and questioning his own future.

In a transcript of a videotaped statement released to the media Tuesday, Anselmo said: "People want my reaction to what happened. This is about Dimebag Darrell, purely Darrell. It's not about me or some . . . psycho that happened to destroy the most beautiful person, one of my best friends in the world."

Abbott, 38, was shot and killed Dec. 8 while performing with the hard rock band DAMAGEPLAN at a Columbus, Ohio, nightclub. Three other people, including DAMAGEPLAN's chief of security, died after Nathan Gale, 25, opened fire with a handgun. Gale was an ex-Marine and metal fan reportedly angered by the band PANTERA's breakup. He was shot and killed by a police officer responding to 911 calls.

Anselmo and Abbott spent 15 years touring the world together in PANTERA.

PANTERA didn't achieve widespread success until Anselmo, a New Orleans native, joined about 1989. PANTERA sold more than 10 million albums, collected two Grammy nominations and inspired legions of aspiring hard rock bands. But by 2002, Anselmo, Darrell Abbott and his brother Vinnie Paul Abbott, the band's drummer, had become estranged as Anselmo devoted more time to other projects.

In 2003, they confirmed that PANTERA had disbanded, as the two camps exchanged accusations in the hard rock press. Anselmo was at home on the north shore last week when Abbott was killed. As Ozzy Osbourne, Paul Stanley of KISS, Brian May of QUEEN and other rock icons memorialized Abbott, a devastated Anselmo made no public comment until Tuesday.

Anselmo's statement says that "the heavy metal media destroyed PANTERA." He laments that he "never got a chance to say goodbye (to Abbott) in the right way and it kills me, and I'm so sorry."

Anselmo traveled to Dallas for Abbott's funeral. But he ended up not attending "to respect the (Abbott) family's wishes, and they do not want me there. I believe I belong there, but I understand completely."

"I wish his family the least grief they could ever have, and I know it's impossible. Just bless his family, bless his friends. I love him like a brother loves a brother. . . . I'm so sorry to his family and everyone else who was senselessly killed in Columbus, Ohio."

His statement hints at an uncertain professional future.

"This has changed the entire world, and this is the last you'll be seeing of me for a long time."

Kinda makes me feel bad for the dude. This has taught me a valuable lesson. I'm doing what I can in my life to make ammends with people in my personal life that I've pissed off, and that have pissed me off. Taking that step, you know. I don't want to be thrown in the ground hating people, or being hated by people that used to be my friends. Never having a chance to say a proper goodbye. This Saturday I'm off to go barhopping with a guy I haven't spoken to in more than a year over stupid ****. I wasn't really ready to do that, but my wife farkin' set up what I laugh and call a "playdate" for us.

Look around, folks. Make that phone call. Get yer ass offa the computer, and go see that dude that used to be a good friend that you've been acting retarded about. The worse that'll happen, is you can say you tried to make things right, and it didn't work. That is farkin' all, Cap out.

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

..... I wasn't really ready to do that, but my wife farkin' set up what I laugh and call a "playdate" for us.

Look around, folks. Make that phone call. Get yer ass offa the computer, and go see that dude that used to be a good friend that you've been acting retarded about. The worse that'll happen, is you can say you tried to make things right, and it didn't work. That is farkin' all, Cap out.

Firstly, if my woman sets me up on a date, I hope its with another woman :D

yeah, I hear what you're saying about making amends. Everyone is different I guess. My life has gone through major upheaval in the last 4-5 years. Although I am estranged from my parents, I always ensure I stay in the loop with them, especially my mum and my sister. Everyone else that was there for astro when $hit went haywire is *still* there, the rest that jumped ship, well , f**k 'em :p

...and these are The Days of Our Lives... :p

as for Anselmo, I dunno. Was this loon(Gale) exacting revenge on Abbott for Pantera's breakup perhaps ?? Has anyone uncovered what his motivations were ??

*calls Raymond Burr*

mtfbwya

Archived