Home

So... uh... still worth buying this game now? Answer: great game!

Doctor Shaft

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by txa1265

HL2 isn't everyone's cup o'tea ... heck, I'd rather pay $50 for Jedi Academy than $20 for HL2 ... but that's me.

Mike

Me too. Besides what do you have to loose? JA is fairly inexpensive nowdays. Just buy it to see what its like, and you wont be left in the dark when SW:JK III comes out.

There seems to be some different of opinion among the members of this board, but I think JA is worth it for the Multiplayer ALONE.

Just because some idiots exist in the community doesn't disqualify it from a game that deserves a chance, much like Jedi Outcast.

With that attitude NO online game is worth playing after the first 6 months (or first patch, whatever), since it will always get inundated with "newbs" eventually.

Siege for me is THE cool aspect of JA MP. I know people will disagree.

Purists like TK-8525 for example, decry the presence of Jedi and "famous characters" etc. but overall I think that the combat is simply deeper (even if Battlefront is fun because it has a huge army fighting a huge army) and more interesting to somebody like me. I think the Force and melee weapons DO add a lot to the experience. You've got more classes, more weapons, fewer vehicles, but you feel like you have more control over them than in SWBF. Compare riding Swoops on Tatooine in JA to riding Speeder bikes on Endor in SWBF. Or compare flying in Asteroids to flying in SWBF. No contest!

Maybe it's apples to oranges, but to me, JA is just more fun in the FPS aspect.

So it depends on what you're after.

But don't let somebody's opinion here dictate what you like, it's merely a suggestion.

Still, I'd say with as CHEAP as Jedi Academy is in the stores now, it's well worth giving it a shot. Even if you only play through the SP campaign and play one round of Siege, it's still worth the price of admission.

Star Wars Battlefront isn't a perfect game either, regardless of what some of it's fans will tell you, but in that case it's a newer game, more expensive and you have no PC demo to test out to see if they were "right" or "wrong."

And there's the Jedi Outcast Purists who are angry that Jedi Academy removed "flip kicks" and forced them to "use mods" to use those flip kicks again and play how they used to play. Then there's the folks who don't like Staff or who don't like Dual Sabers. Some people didn't want any changes to the gameplay and really snubbed JA as a result. If you're one of those people, then you'd be wasting your time. Then again, you never know until you play it. It might grow on you. Your money, your time, your choice...

To put this into perspective, think of the 50,000+ people who play Counter Strike. These seem to be hardcore fanatics. Do they even play other games? Who knows! But the point is, if you like something, nobody can ever tell you differently and change your mind unless you're willing. I just say give something a chance before you bash it. But then, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it to try something different or new. If you're happy with what you've got, more power to you.

Originally posted by Kurgan

There seems to be some different of opinion among the members of this board, but I think JA is worth it for the Multiplayer ALONE.

Just because some idiots exist in the community doesn't disqualify it from a game that deserves a chance, much like Jedi Outcast.

I must disagree Kurgan. Unfortunately, it isn't "some" idiots, it is "mostly" idiots. For once, TK was right:

Originally posted by TK-8252

If you want a multiplayer game, NO. I do not recommend multiplayer...The majority of the community is overall really stupid no matter where you go...

If you want to see evidence of what TK said, you need look no further than this thread http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141269&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

(P.S.- I don't understand why that thread was moved to the Dedicated Server forum in the Help Center, when it has nothing to do with technical issues of running a server. It really belongs in this forum where it was started).

So many players in this game disable 90% of it (no guns, almost no Force powers except for "empowered" admins), spend all of their time chatting, "enforcing rules" and "maintaining order", using cheat functions (empowerment, jetpacks, grapplehooks, Rancor spawning), and no-Force dueling, usually on only one map (mp/ffa3). The ones who are able to beat other chatting no-Force saber duelers consider themselves to be "strong players" and call players who can play the game with 100% of the features enabled "noobs" and "lamers".

Can you think of any other action-FPS game where someone would actually think they are insulting you by saying things like this:

Originally posted by Scriber

And WOWOWOWOWOWOW OMG U R A WEPON NOOB.

In any other action-FPS game, being a "wepon (sic) noob" means you didn't know how to use guns. In this game, people who can play the game only if 90% of it is disabled call players who can use guns skillfully "noobs" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by JASAEric

lol wat a noob ... He wont duel cause dueling requires skill fireing a gun does not

Originally posted by jasa-chosen

Like I said we dont play with guns. Who plays with guns in this game anyway? This game has about the worse gun action I ever seen. If you wanna go play a fps with guns buy ut2004.

Just more evidence of what is really behind all the "honor code" "no laming" no guns no Force servers that are so "popular" with the type of player that TK was talking about:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135383

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

2. Some people in JK2 decided to add on a bunch of made-up, phony, artificial, contrary-to-the-nature-of-the-game "rules" and "honor codes", thinking somehow it made them more "honorable"\"chivalrous"\"Jedi-like"\whatever than the "lamers" they disdain. In many cases, the additional "rules" to restrict combat to very limited circumstances helped to hide their incompetence and lack of skill at true "deathmatch" or "Free For All". They can't handle the pace and complexity of unrestricted, full-weapon, full-Force combat, so they hide behind saber-only (no guns\explosives), no Force dueling and "honor codes". It's much easier to learn to bow and whine about laming than learn to strafe-jump and shoot accurately.

It is really really REALLY sad that most of the players playing JA (and JK2) multiplayer will never experience the true glory of these great games, with 100% of the features the programmers put into them enabled (but no JA+ cheat functions) and with no silly, combat-limiting "rules" in place.

I see it even on my servers. People come to my ForceMod III FFA server and immediately start whining "stop laming!" and "why is everyone laming?" It is obvious from their comments that they were brainwashed very early and have never, ever played on any server that wasn't a "no laming" no guns no Force chat-and-duel JA+ enforced server. They think that is the "normal" way to play and that servers like mine are full of deviant "lamers" :rolleyes:

Not only do they amabuse and ban superior players on their servers and drive them out of the game, they harass players on my servers, call them "cheaters" because the noobs just can't believe someone can mid-air them without using an aimbot, and make the few skilled players so disgusted with this "community" that I can understand why they leave this game to play all the other games that aren't populated by idiots.

Thanks to g_weapondisable 524279, g_forcepowerdisable 163837, g_forceregentime 0-50 (so "empowered" admins have plenty of Force), and, of course, the amabuse commands and cheat features (empowerment, jetpacks, grapples) of JA+ mod, mediocre or worse players who have mastered 10% of the game on one map have deluded themselves into thinking they are "good".

Bottom line, the games themselves are great, but 95% of the people playing them are exactly as TK said. It's sad but true.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

I must disagree Kurgan. Unfortunately, it isn't "some" idiots, it is "mostly" idiots...

Bottom line, the games themselves are great, but 95% of the people playing them are exactly as TK said. It's sad but true.

Amen to that. As much as I like JA, I just can't be bothered to try out a whole bunch of servers to find one were at least a few players are actually playing the game. Every time someone starts a thread about where are good places to play the list ends after about 3 servers.

Sad but true.

Originally posted by Prime

As much as I like JA, I just can't be bothered to try out a whole bunch of servers to find one were at least a few players are actually playing the game.

Try out the ForceMod III server 67.15.23.243. Saber damage is increased as part of the mod. I like the non-Jedi non-Sith classes even more (especially HotShot). I even have a blast being a droideka, rolling around and running over people. I guarantee you will have a good time.

Just so you know, you need to download and install both the mod

http://www.pcgamemods.com/6404

and the recently-released patch

http://www.pcgamemods.com/9136/

Make sure you read the readme so you understand all the different classes and special features like new saber stances, charged Force powers, how to fire the Mandalorian backpack rocket, etc.

I havn't loaded Jedi Academy since August. Its not that its bad, but that it just got boring. The MP was good with friends, but after that its boring no matter what the server. Once in a while you might find a really cool person online, but other than that its... not that good. I mean, the MP itself is good, but it just got old. I personnally think the maps suck, even though they look good, they just don't have the right "flow" to them.

Single Player is cool, but like everyone else said, not as good as JK2's SP.

I beat JK2 maybe... 8 times... I loved that game.

I beat JKA maybe 5 times, or less. I started it, bit quit half way through a whole lot.

The Boba Fett level was AWESOME though. I started freaking out, cause Boba is so cool, and fighting him was an unforgetable experience.

Eventually it will drop to $10. I saw JK2 for $10 recently, and its selling out now. LucasArts is getting money off it again!

KOTOR. It's in the same price range as Jedi Academy

KoTOR is $10 cheaper. For someone like me thats a big difference!

I have to admit, it took me a lot longer to beat KoTOR than JA.

KoTOR = 2 weeks (Nonstop play after I came home from school!)

JKA = 3 days (Off and on, I played like one or two sections a day, then gave it a break.)

Summary: JKA is a good game, and worth a shot. In the end though, like most games, it will get old. I'll probably replay JA in a year or later.

*Shrugs*

Download the 2 trailers and see what you think of those ;)

Nope. Game was never worth it. Even at the 29 bucks or whatever most places have it unused. Raven started out good with this series (JK2 1.02) but since they've utterly destroyed it. I pray that Id Software keeps a close eye on them with Quake IV, otherwise we'll get crap again.

• 4 weeks later...

A demented 8 year old could have come up with a better plot and better lines, and the voice acting was just as bad. It's ok for a few saber fights, but try not to think of the story line as being part of the JK series or you will be disappointed. Still, for a few hours of entertainment, you could do worse.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1

The Boba Fett level was AWESOME though. I started freaking out, cause Boba is so cool, and fighting him was an unforgetable experience.

You liked that level!? It was awful. Once your realized that the only reason you couldn't kill him was because he had unlimited HP, he was basically just a nuisance. He couldn't fight worth a flip. Just turn on force speed navigate through the frustrating maze of the stupid level, get back to your ship, and leave. He was probably the least scary or difficult "boss" I've ever seen.

You liked that level!? It was awful. Once your realized that the only reason you couldn't kill him was because he had unlimited HP, he was basically just a nuisance. He couldn't fight worth a flip. Just turn on force speed navigate through the frustrating maze of the stupid level, get back to your ship, and leave. He was probably the least scary or difficult "boss" I've ever seen.

I loved it. Sure.. you couldn't kill him, but then you would kill him in the start and then the rest of the level would too easy. Besides, check the .NPC file, he has 400 HP, but somehow he is hardcoded not to die. He also has some impressive script work.

Think of it this way, he is the hunter.. the bounty hunter, and you are the prey. You are running for your life untill you complete your mission and in the end you have a showdown with one of the coolest characters in the Star Wars Universe!

Originally posted by BigDJedi

THE MULDIPLAYER IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D NOT ONLY DO U NOT HAVE 2 OWRRY ABOUT LAMMERZ BUT U CAN BE TRUE RPG JEDI WITH HONOR DUAL SERVERS WITH JA+ MOD ARE TEH BEST BECUZ U CAN BE A NEWB AND STILL OWN!!!!!!!

thats why the game is not fun anymore andau my ears! :(

put the caps off next time

Siege is a lot of fun on LAN with friends, but even then you feel the weight of how horribly unpolished it is.

Then you go play some UT2004 or UT assault :o.

Another is Enemy Territory Fortress.

ET is a free game, and ETF is a mod for it reminiscient of Team Fortress from quake, and quake 3 fortress. very fun, fast, and class based. oh did i mention that the movement is not neutered and its a very popular game? ;)

http://www.splashdamage.com (ET Developers - free download of ET)

http://www.etfgame.com (may be down due to extreme load)

http://www.planetetf.com

There are torrents and direct http/ftp downloads of the mod.

I totally agree with TK and Ami.

the only thing left in this game is the people who REALIZE what good gaming is like some of the CTF community (who aren't jerks) who play alot. This is something you can constantly get good at, almost no limit. To dueling, there are VERY small limits and outcomes, it used to be fun, but now slider screwed up JA

Really I have no one to blame but him, oh and the noobies. :D

Archived