Home

The One Year Thread Redux

Originally posted by edlib

I went with the chores, although now I'm regretting it.

When I scrolled past this quickly I thought I saw "I went with the whores, although now I'm regretting it."

Here is a picture of two squirrels:

10024474nl.th.jpg

And here's one of my favorite buildings on campus and some girl I saw:

10024493zw.th.jpg

This was an "artsy" picture I took with the tree and everything. its a big tree;

10024509us.th.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Nute Gunray

When I scrolled past this quickly I thought I saw "I went with the whores, although now I'm regretting it."

That would be a much different post indeed, and probably would be the catalyst for much new discussion on the XWA boards. :D

4/19/05

Woke up way too early (before 4am) and couldn't get back to sleep for the life of me. So I stayed up, and went into work very early (well, very early for me...)

Work was kinda dull. We set up for the show that's happening this Thursday, but since I'm not working it I stuck around to help out a bit, then bailed out as soon as I could.

A mouse died in our office somewhere and it took us a while to track it down. Funked up the office pretty bad in the meantime, but we finally found it. Just glad it wasn't something a lot bigger...

Got home and watched a lot of TV while dozing on the couch. I was afraid of going to bed too early and waking up before 4am again... I guess I shouldn't have been too concerned: I can't get out of my own way this morning. I probably could have used a lot more sleep last night... Oh well. Today should be a fairly short, easy day.

4/20/05

It was indeed a short, easy day at work.

This week is almost like a mini vacation for me, since I'm not working the big show there's very little for me to do.

I got home and watched a little TV (my new favorite show: "Battlefield Britain" on PBS) Ordered a pizza since I really didn't feel like trying to cook.

Went upstairs and tried to read at around 10pm, but dozed off after about 5 minutes, so I just went to sleep. Didn't wake up until 10am this morning... I guess I forgot to set my alarm. Oops.

I think I'll just take the day off since I can't think of any real reason to go in.

been playing alot of galaxies.....almost at novice bounty hunter. :joy:

work is going good.....i'm used to it and doubt i'll find any other job as easy...=\

picked up another Grievous figure...#9.. i saw 3 others I need to get for my collection. good stuff.

renting the movie 'Avalon' it's in japanese w/subtitles....normally i don't care for those kinds, but this seems very much like a manga/anime. gonna watch it tomorrow. also renting Augustus cause i didn't know what other movie to rent and it was there and well....

I get to spend the weekend by myself again, as my mom, dad, and sister are going to away, mom and sis to my cousin's wedding shower (i get to be an usher at the wedding :joy: ) and my dad's going fishing w/my great uncle. so yeah. i didn't want to go anyway cause meh....it's in Canton.....like out in a ghost town in pennsylvania. so tomorrow i'm gonna watch movies, and get Bounty Hunter 0100 in Galaxies. :D

New Halo 2 maps are out on the 25th....why they don't release them on a weekend is beyond me....stupid bungie. just stupid. i'll still pay for the maps though, and try to play with the new update....i'll prolly get mad and quit again cause of all the stupid middle-school bs that goes on..

Where did I leave off?...

4/21/05

Took the day off.

Went for a nice long walk since it was such a nice day. My knee didn't bother me at all, surprisingly.

Practiced guitar for a long time when I got back.

4/22/05

Had to be at work early. All the rented lighting gear had to be loaded out, and we had to set up for a lunch-time presentation.

Everything went fairly smoothly (although we had way more issues than we should have hooking up a laptop to the projector for the PowerPoint presentation)

Got home fairly early. Watched all the Friday-night political gab-fests on PBS. Fell asleep early.

Just woke up a little while ago by one on my co-workers calling my cell-phone with questions about setting up his new PC.

I can't believe I slept so late. Looks like a craptastic day outside. A lot of rain coming, I understand.

Oh well... maybe I can find a couple of DVDs to watch...

ahhh this weekend kinda blazed by....it was fun. I mostly played Galaxies.....played it too much i think. I got Bounty Hunter profession by 2pm on saturday, so i went out and got some pizza and i found mountain dew on sale at $.89 per 2 liters, so i picked up 4. Ate half the full house pizza and drank 2 bottles. How long has it been since they took the caffine out of mountain dew? :cry: Played til 10pm, then watched Avalon from start to finish. good movie....went back to Galaxies til around 2. Went to bed. Woke up an hour later cause my teeth were hurting really bad and my head felt like it was going to explode, so i brushed my teeth and tried some of that listerine mouthwash just for the hell of it (not drinking it)...and then took some tylenol-which didn't really help, and went back to sleep. Woke up at 9...played galaxies the rest of the day. another 14 hours, drank half another bottle of mountain dew and finsihed off the pizza.

Tomorrow the new halo 2 maps come out. I won't be downloading them until they put them on matchmaking.

4/23 & 4/24/05

Boring weekend.

The weather was lousy. Stayed in for the most part. Slept a lot.

Did some laundry before it gets totally out of hand. Picked up my bedroom a little bit.

Did a lot of reading. Re-watched a couple Star Wars DVDs. Played some Tron 2.0 (I really have to finish it one of these days...) but I was sucking pretty bad at it.

Met with a guy I might hire to paint my house this summer.

4/25/05

Normal day at work... nothing spectacular to report.

I didn't mix the show, but the guy who did almost got into a fight with one of the players, who wasn't getting his own way, so he threatened the engineer.

He showed up with a bunch of gear (that he didn't bother to tell anybody about in advance) and he needed a bunch of channels into the PA for. There weren't any left, and he was told that. He then went ballistic and threatened the guy doing sound (who is our boss) in front of everybody in the hall, including the president of the college.

I guess he was thrown out, but he said that he was going to "take you out" to the engineer. He never got anywhere near him though,.. the crew stepped in and said no dice buddy!

This was for a Gospel music concert... go figure. :rolleyes:

Got home from work and fell asleep almost immediately. Woke up again around 11,.. and then had a bitch of a time getting back to sleep later.

Oh well....

4/26/05

Had to go into work early to attend a meeting with an acoustical consultant the college hired to try to sort out some of the issues the hall has. As we started to explain all the problems we've encountered I saw her face drop, as she must have been thinking to herself "What have I gotten myself into?!??"

It's gonna be a big job.

The show was a piece of cake. All classical music, with a medium sized orchestra. Only a couple of mics, and no monitors. All I had to worry about is getting a decent recording, and instructing the crew on stage changes.

Long show though... didn't get out until late. And then just as I was leaving, the Sox game ended and the crowds started towards the subway! Arrrgh! Added a lot of time to my commute home. Oh joy.

I found a way to tone down most of the hum in those tracks... One of the heavier tracks from the jam will be up on NewMusicCanada, pending approval by the site staff... It kinda came out of nowhere after I was playing around with my chorus pedal looking for a sound for another song we're working on, and in the process, picked out an A-minor chord, missed a note, and subconciously corrected it. Our bassist looked over at me and said, "Dude, f**king play that again!" I did, and things just went from there... We fired up the laptop, and pulled a 7-minute jam out of our ass. There's a lot of foul-ups, it's repetitive in places, and would definatly benefit from a second guitarist (he was prepping for nerve surgery on his leg-stump), but there's enough usable stuff to pull out and make a solid song out of. It's temporarily called "Fall of the Crusader", 'cause it sounds like a 70's-80's metal intrumental track, and we wanted an overly cheesy name until we sat down and actually wrote a song around the riffs we liked from the jam.

And in other news, I'm putting the finishing touches on a music video I'm doing to keep myself current with Adobe Premiere... Dogfighting scenes from the first episode of Macross Zero (yeah, I know it's been done, but I'm just looking to have some fun) laid overtop Anberlin's "Never Take Friendship Personal". Today's day 3 working on it (including pulling the shots out of the episode) and I finished the rough cut before I left for work. It didn't turn out to bad for something essentially put together in one night... I've just got to adjust the timing of a couple of cuts, convert the audio to MP3, compress it into DivX, and voila!

And now it's back to work... Tah tah!

It has been exactly one year since I left home for Basic Combat Training....

I went to mcdonalds today for breaksfast....i ordered a sausage mcgriddle, and they end up giving me this gross bagel sausage and cheese ****, which doesn't even look cooked, i took a bite into it and almost puked, so i gave it to my dog after i threw a fit about it and dumped my orange juice out the window. then i blew my horn as i left the place. assholes. So i went to another mcdonalds and got what i wanted in the first place. XD that bagel **** was ****ing disgusting. :puke:

Right now i'm waiting for Starsider server to go online....they're implementing the Combat Upgrade. I can't wait. :joy:

*shrugs* when i'm mad, i don't think clearly. I hate having to go to the people and tell them what i wanted, without getting that suspicious look like it was my fault. they lost all my business. especially after the person that gave me the food wasn't the pretty chick that usually works that window...looked more like someone from an IU13 mental institution thing. it's prolly her fault.

Originally posted by Rogue15

*shrugs* when i'm mad, i don't think clearly. I hate having to go to the people and tell them what i wanted, without getting that suspicious look like it was my fault.

Well, whatever, but I personally tend not to care what the jackass who screwed up my order at McDonald's thinks.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

Well, whatever, but I personally tend not to care what the jackass who screwed up my order at McDonald's thinks.

yeah but did u ever work at a restraunt and know what it's like to be on the other side.....XD

Sometimes thowing a tantrum just feels good...

4/27/05

Another blah, rainy day. My lawn is starting to look good, however! :)

Work was a yawn fest. Went out and had a good lunch though (a cup of really good chicken gumbo, and a flame-grilled turkey burger with cheese, bacon, and mushrooms, with a huge side o' steak-fries. Yummeh!)

Watched Battlefield Britain after I got home. Did some reading (Kafka's "The Castle") some drawing, and some guitar before bed.

4/28/05

Woke up around 5:00am and couldn't get back to sleep for the life of me... which always sucks when you know you have to work late that day. So I got up and puttered around the house until it was time to get ready to go.

I always seem to crash around 3:30/ 4:00 in the afternoon if I get up too early... which just happens to be the time when we really have to start working for a show.

The show was 2 smallish big-bands, if that makes any sense. Easy stuff... fortunately.

Oh, it was great! Best movie I've seen in ages, though that title may not last long since I'm going to see Sin City tonight... But it's definatly worth admission and then some!

I'm sure I would've benefited from having read the book, though... (shut up... I'm ashamed enough as it is...) I bought them 6 months ago, but they're in line behind 7 other books I bought 8-9 months ago. Hopefully I'll have them finished before they decide to make movies out of the other books. :rolleyes:

It's great to finally know the particulars around the meaning of life being 42...

But yeah, go see it!

Cool!

I'm a big fan for anyone who hasn't figured it out.

I have a first (American) edition of the original book that I got when I was a kid. I have these damn books practically memorized.

The theater I always go to has a digital projection of it... I gotta go!

I saw it today.

I liked it. I'd see it again.

It wasn't perfect... but it was pretty good. Much better than the TV series. (Speaking of which: the original Marvin costume from the BBC series was the Robot standing in line at the Vogon office... pretty cool! And they used the Eagles' "Journey Of The Sorcerer" as the theme song, after the big dolphin musical production number, which was the theme song of all the versions so far. I was wondering about that...)

Couple of niggles:

1.) The pace of the whole thing was a little too fast. I would have liked a slightly more relaxed pacing for the whole thing, that's a bit more in the spirit of Hitchhikers... but I guess that's what you get trying to cram a story like that into a 2 hour movie.

2.) They made Zaphod a bit too dumb. He's not really dumb in the other stories, he just acts that way... but the reasons he does are pretty complex.... but he's in actuallity one of the most clever characters.

And I felt Arthur adapted to the situation a bit too quickly. Guess that could be chalked up to point #1...

3.) Arthur and Trillian love story... I dunno... not what I was expecting. A bit more of a "Hollywood" ending than Hitchikers normally would ever do. In all of the other versions of the story they never hooked up... although they did end up having a kid together (long story...) I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

4.) I can't believe they never explained about the towels! The towels!!!! That's... that's just... words cannot express...

The books are still the best part of the H2G2 universe, read them ASAP... but this was really good. The Vogons were spot-on perfect, Ford was great, the Guide effects were great...

I can't wait for the big special-edition DVD!!!

Originally posted by Nitro

They finally cast Wally in a movie.

Funny you bring that up... I was just thinking about Zoomie the other day. I wonder how that wild-eyed, bomb-tossing anarchist is doing these days... I hope he's OK...

Funny thing is, he once admitted to never reading any of the Hichhiker's books... although he was always getting told by folks that it seemed a perfect fit. I wonder if he'll check out the movie?...

Egads... I'm about 4 days behind now. A new personal record!

Ah hell, here goes:

4/29/05

Took the day off from work. Rested up. Did some more laundry.

Drew a couple of things that came out surprisingly pretty good (although I'm still not ready for any kind of a public showing yet... still need more work shaking the rust off. Maybe in a couple of weeks, (if I manage to keep at it...) I'll have something I won't be embarassed to show you all...

4/30/05

Worked a concert by the band 'Secret Garden' (a Celtic/ Finnish band) Easy day at work, for the most part, although the engineer for the band brought a bunch of gear in his own rack that he wanted to patch into our board. Easy stuff... if the back of our board wasn't hanging out over the edge of the balcony, almost 30 feet over the floor, which tends to make plugging in other gear a bit of a hassle, to say the least. Somehow I managed to jury-rig enough connections to get all his stuff plugged into the board somehow... but it was a bit of a nightmare.

Actually, as I was typing this out, I just thought of a much simpler way to do what I did the other day... and I can't believe I didn't think of it then! Forehead-slapping stuff! It would have saved me at least a little of the hassle if I had thought of it at the moment... but somehow I didn't. Of course I was under time pressure then, and not thinking as clearly as I can when there is no pressure going on. Oh well... I hope I think of it next time it comes up.

5/1/05

I went and saw the new Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy movie (for those of you who haven't gathered by the previous half-dozen or so posts)

When I got home I watched my VHS tape of the funky, old, low-budget BBC TV series of HHGG as way of comparision. Some of the visual effects looked pretty primative even back then, but it is in many ways much truer to the book version of the story.

I think the BBC series is now out on DVD as well... I should look into that: this was the first VHS tape I have actually sat down and watched in a couple of years, and the experience was pretty painful. DVD has spoiled me forever.

The theater I watched the movie in was all digital as well.... damn, that looks good! I saw EP. II there... they better be planning on showing Ep. III there as well.

Did some shopping on the way back from the theater. Picked up a few staples: (dish soap, Q-Tips, paper-towels, etc. etc. etc...) and a few goodies for myself:

DVDs:

'House Of Flying Daggers'

'A Series Of Unfortunate Events' (Special Edition)

'A Bugs Life' (Special Edition)

And a boxed pair of disks that had 'Ocean's 12' and 'A Perfect Storm' packaged together for the price of one DVD

Book:

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith novelization.

Yeah, I know... dangerous thing to have around. But I've been able to resist cracking it open so far. We'll see if my self-control holds out.

Watched the Simpsons, the new episode of Family Guy (not the best one I've seen, but a lot of laughs... and it's good to have it back just for something to watch on Sunday nights after Homer and Co.) and the new American Dad (better than the pilot, but still kinda weak, although it did have a couple of moments...)

5/2/05

The guy who I hired to paint my house showed up this morning... while I was in the shower. I came out of the bathroom to find my front door open and an extension cord run from the kitchen across the living-room and out the door... kind of a shock, until I figured out what was going on. I guess I left the front door unlocked after taking out the trash... but still: it's a good thing I like this guy (I hired him to re-do my roof last year and he did a really good job and he seems like a cool guy) or I could have really freaked out on him for not waiting for me to open the door for him.

A short day at work. He was still scraping paint when I got home.

Ate a couple of slices of cold pizza and then took a nap after he left (Mondays always kill me... :rolleyes: )

I think I have to work late tomorrow night, but since I expect him bright and early tomorrow morning I'll have to get up earlier than I ever would, so that he doesn't surprise me by showing up while I'm in the shower, or worse, while I'm still in bed.

Archived