Home

The One Year Thread Redux

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a whole lotta Boot!

3/24/05

Another month winding down already? Egads... where is this year going?!??

The huge snowstorm we were supposed to get overnight totally fizzled out... at least where I am. YAY!!! I didn't enjoy the idea of yet another early-morning shoveling seesion... especailly with my bum knee.

Speaking of which: it did feel better all day. A couple of twinges, but no major pain to speak of. I really should have it looked at so that I don't have to go through this again next year,.. but if I do require surgery or rehab of any kind, I'd rather it not be at the absolute busiest time of the year for us. In a couple of more weeks everything slows way down again.

I'll see how it feels over the course of the day... if by this afternoon it's aching again I'll go have it looked at tonight.

Well, I got my DVD order from Amazon.com today (the 2 prequel movies as well as NESN's 2004 Red Sox retrospective, "Faith Rewarded"), but I managed to stick my left index finger w/ a steak knife in the process of getting the cases open. Good thing I bought a new box of Band-Aids a couple of months ago.

3/25/05

Got through the day without much pain. I think it's starting to heal up. I bought a different knee brace that seems to work better.

Finished the 5th Dark Tower book. Now I just have to wait for the others to come out in paperback.

Still working on the Bourne Ultimatum (sorry, Nitro...)

March 22-26

Just got back from New York City for the National Model United Nations Conference.

I have learned a few things....

1) Europeans are confused by American Media.

Honestly, no offense, but jebus, do i really need to hear about a near dead brain damaged lady 24/7?! Once is freakin' enough! I was asked several times how the hell i live with that garbage, to which i said, "I watch the BBC and read Al-Jhezzera". I was liked by them.

2) European women are hot, and smart.

Never try to fool a european. it will not work. however, they are extreamly cute/hot. Committee was fun because Saudi Arabia was a really hot young German lady from Munich. pity i didn't get her e-mail. (And no, we just had dinner, and yes, we were in a large group, and no, i didn't get to see her hotel room, or vise versa. Perverts)

3) If you are in the League of Arab States, representing Sudan, and you wear a Yamacha......

In a caucus, you will be called Isreal by Palestine. Also note the fact of doing Heil Hitler type motions can bring the committee to it's knees via laughter.

4) Committee work is frustrating.

4-6 AM was the time on average i got back to my hotel room, just to wake up at 7-8 to be in committee by 9AM. I cried. 1-2 kept me going.

5) Times Square is the shizznit.

At night, OMG, so much excess, so much... stuff, people.... Sensory overload. Considering at the time i was fairly tired, not suprising.

I had a wonderful time down in NYC, and love the city. If i ever get the chance, i'm definatly doing another conference. too much fun NOT to.

no work friday (25th) so me and my sis hanged out at the mall, and later went out w/parents and sis to Ruby Tuesdays......had the usual chicken tenders, which was filling...got home and played some Galaxies. Went to sleep at around 2:30....

this morning, was waken up at 10:30...normal wakeup time for me. I took a shower and browsed forums waiting to go to the mall w/my family so they could get their taxes done...made an appointment while i was there to get mine done, only thing about that is..it'll be on a saturday, and could interfere with me going as a visitor with my buddy to his unit....if so...i'm going to be very mad.

then we headed to a chinese buffet, i almost over-ate. That place is now my favorite chinese place cause of the great selection.

:joy:

Watched 'The Village' and 'Unstoppable' when with my dad when we got home. The Village was a good movie. I liked the whole idea....it was a little sad though. Unstoppable was kinda cool, short and sweet i guess....

played more galaxies....they keep releasing patches, keeping it new. I can't wait to get some more ram and a new video card so i can have everything in high detail and full volumetric shadows.....

3/26/05

Showed up to work 2 hours early because I was reading an old schedule. Bleah.

I went and got a decent lunch and was going to walk around the mall at the Prudential tower when I saw that it was a Saturday afternoon and the mall was packed to the walls with milling teens and window shoppers and ultimately thought better of it.

When I got back to work I had to kick some people off the stage who somehow got themselves let in to do a photo shoot. Fun.

The show was easy. It was "The Blind Boys Of Alabama." Funny guys, a real bunch of chararcters!

Got home pretty early too. Always a bonus.

Happy Easter, everyone. I played (piano) for two Masses this morning, unfortunately at a local middle school, as it was the overflow from the regular Masses in the church. But I did get to play (violin) at the church at the Easter Vigil last night and on Good Friday. Choir, brass, strings, we pulled out all the stops. It was glorious!

Very early March 28th. Had the family over for Easter dinner and to celebrate my BDay. Had a great time. Got the Mellinium Falcon Lego kit. ;) Leave for Phoenix tomorrow to see the in-laws.

I'm at work now with nothing to do. :( Bored.

3/27/05

My cat woke me up way too early this morning, pawing at the venitian blinds in my bedroom. I have no idea what her problem was...

I skipped going to Easter dinner with the rest of my family this year since I really had too much to do, and this is the only day I might have off for a couple of weeks. Plus, I wanted to give my knee more of rest and a chance to heal completely, and going down to my relatives I know I'm gonna get tackled by a bunch of the kids which really won't be any good for it.

So I stayed home and did about 30 loads of laundry (when was the last time I did it? It doesn't seem that long ago, but I was totally out of EVERYTHING!!!!)

Watched Shark Tale DVD. Meh. Looked amazing, but it was way too "pop-culture-y" for my tastes. Didn't have the timeless, classic feel that the Pixar stuff manages to pull off so well. Plus all the characters looked too much like the people doing the voices, which I found way too distracting. Most of the music was annoying too.

In 5 years this one will be forgotten, wheras in 100 years people will still be talking about the Pixar films.

Also watched the Bill Cosby "Himself" disk. I know I've seen the whole thing before, but I was surprised by how little I remembered. Funny stuff!

Fired up my Gamecube for the first time in a what seems like a long while. Tried playing XIII (13) again, and gave up because the control scheme is way too frustrating. I should've gotten this game for PC. With a mouse and keyboard it's probably really easy to control. I remapped the controls as much as it allows and still couldn't get off the first scene. I think I'll trade this disk in for something I might actually play...

Played a little of Clone Wars too, and then suddenly remembered what an overall crappy game it was and stopped.

Well, yeah, I guess I was a little harsh there.

No, it's hardly the worst game I've ever played. I wouldn't even call it the worst SW game I've ever played (currently Battle For Naboo holds that title.)

I've played it through once, and it held my interest then, but as I started again I realized I really couldn't muster enough enthusiasm in it to do it again. It was really the "on-foot" mission that got to me this time though. That was the deal-breaker for me. The vechicle missions are fine, if a wee bit repetitive,.. but the ones where you run around with your lightsaber are almost totally comical.

Plus, (for some reason I really can't adequitely explain,) the game just didn't really feel very... "Star Wars-y" to me. Not like the X-Wing, Jedi Knight, or Rogue Leader games did anyway. It felt to me like a game that was in production as something else that later got modified to fit the Star Wars universe when the call came in.

i liked clone wars til they forced me onto foot. then it sucked. starfighter is more fun. I'd still play battlefront if it didn't have framerate issues. :rolleyes:

I haven't played on the xbox in forever...think the last game i played on it was grand theft auto III. now all i do is play Galaxies and occassionally Soldier of Fortune II on my pc. Galaxies is my favorite sw game. I can't wait til the combat upgrade, faction armor, and new weapons get put in......which will be in may.

haven't heard back from that guy yet, so i dunno...also haven't got a call from the temp agency. I've been feeling depressed lately....think it has to do with the fact it ****ing raining constantly now that it's spring.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

edlib, I find it odd that you used the Rogue Squadron games an an example of good games, but didn't like Battle for Naboo, which was basically the same thing. Need I ask?

BFN seemed like all the mission ideas that the RS designers ditched because they were so boring.

The game mechanics were fine, but the missions were dull, the story kinda went nowhere, and the voice acting and script was second rate at best. Oh, and it had a serious bug that crashed my PC at the same time in the game, every time. Needless to say (or at least it seems needless to me) I never bothered to finish it.

Starfighter, being almost the same game, was far superior, although it was hardly the strongest title LA has ever released, either. BFN seemed super-rushed so that it could come out near the time as Ep. 1. Take the old RS engine, some throw-away and 3rd rate mission ideas, update the ships, and get it out the door ASAP.

Yeah... I was never a medal-chaser. If I got any medal at all I was usually satisfied. If I got Silver I was really happy. Never bothered too much with trying for Gold... there was always too many other games I'd rather be playing.

I really wanted to like BFN, I really did... but I could never really get into it that much. I can't say I hated it, but I was really disappointed in the way it came out.

I really think that bug is what killed it for me though. It always happened on the mission where you have to go into orbit and clear the minefields and take out some satellites. It would always lock up my PC at that point and I could never get past it.

When I upgraded my vid card I tried playing it again to see if that had been the problem (it was) and I managed to complete the mission. But by that time the momentum had long past and I think I had already gotten my Gamecube and Rogue Leader, so BFN seemed pretty archaic at best.

Maybe I'll give it another shot one of these days when I'm really bored and need to blow something up.

I had it for the N64, so I never experienced any bugs.

But without the challenge of getting all the gold medals, I have to say the other Rogue Squadron games wouldn't have been much fun at all. An arcady game like Rogue Squadron needs an arcady reward system, like the medals, in my opinion.

Of course, I like the sim-type X-Wing games far more in any case. X-Wing will always be my favorite game, I think.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

Of course, I like the sim-type X-Wing games far more in any case. X-Wing will always be my favorite game, I think.

Agreed. The "rail" type games are really a poor substitute for a real flight sim, but I've been so desperate lately that I'll take whatever I can get. Had LA kept coming out with X-Wing games (or there were continued sequels to the Freespace series) it's doubtful that I ever would have gravitated to the Rogue Squadron games. I don't think I played RS until I felt that I had exausted all the possibilites that XWA offered.

I never owned a N64 (or any console for that matter since my Colecovision, back in '80 or '81) so all I had were the ports to PC (which, I'm assured, are always a bit questionable even under the best conditions.) So I've never played the original RS games in thier real intended environment.

Archived