Home

Heart of an Empire - The Fighting 501st

swphreak

Heart of an Empire - The Life and Times of the Fighting 501st

Has anyone else heard of this? I just found this out on my random browsing of TFN. I watched the Trailer and thought it looked pretty good.

(because I'm lazy, I'm just copy/pasting)

"Heart Of An Empire" is a documentary about the global organization known as the 'Fighting 501st". These people are most likely one of the most misunderstood and stereotyped group in pop culture. In a mere 5 years the 501st has increased in numbers from 2 to 2000 and has managed to carve a name for itself as a staple for many well known charity organizations, and secured themselves in the annals of Star Wars popular lore. More than a mere fan group, they seem to have an uncanny(although sometimes challenged) organizational skill and unparalleled sense of place and purpose in their communities.

My film follows the "501st" group and a select portion of its individual members both in costume and their 'real lives' as they struggle to give the general public something it doesn't expect. My hope is that this film can appeal to the general public for its human element that is so prevalent in the piece, and lets not forget I have quite a few surprises in store for the Star Wars fan as well.

Things won't always work out, they are often ridiculed, and at times chaos reigns supreme. However, through all the politics, drama, and personal hardships, these everyday heros somehow end up touching someone at the end of the day in a special way, and will hopefully touch your heart as well.

Jay Thompson

Producer/Director

I can't wait til it's finished. Thoughts?

• 2 years later...

It would be cool the join the 501st.

Only problem is, a 5'5 Stormtrooper/Clonetrooper Phase-II would look pretty ****ing stupid. :D and the outfit costs way too much.

And I think I saw three members of the 501st at the Scandinavian SCI-FI Game and Film convention last year.

5'6 clone trooper for me.

I heart clonetroopers. Stormies aren't my thing. But that's cool. Documentaries like that are cool. I look forward to it.

And @ jon_hill: it's about exploring life behind the fans who dedicate themselves to suiting up. If you're a 501st, then it's good to see your set being represented, and if you're not, it might show you how life is for a 501st.

Archived