Home

Is Bacta the same thing as Kolto?

Bacta that we know isn't from the movies either.

Sure we have the "bacta tank" but what is it exactly? A little water tube that Luke is suspended in with a mask on and a giant diaper. We see a droid put a blinky light thing on the outside of it and he jerks around.

Then in the EU it gets described as a red colored sticky "healing fluid."

In other games it's been a blue tinted healing fluid (see JK1, RC).

In the movies we didn't really know what it was or how it worked, only that it was somehow part of SW medical tech. I don't remember if they described how it worked in the ESB novelisation, it's been a long time since I've read it.

It would probably fit better in the Expanded Universe Star Wars forum...

The Databank entry is good, but seemingly in error. We never see any "red translucent fluid" in ESB that is identified as Bacta. We just see Luke in a tank seemingly filled with water. So any "red" bacta is off camera or otherwise hidden from our view. Maybe Lucas intended that it is red, so it's G-level canon, but I see no evidence of that just in ESB. Anyway, that's something for the SW Databank editors to work out.

It's like saying Yoda's blood is blue. Apparently it's canon that it is (G-level since Lucas said it in the AOTC behind the scenes stuff), but we never see it on screen.

Well, according to the "Behind the Scenes" tab:

Databank

When Luke is suspended in the bacta tank in The Empire Strikes Back, the liquid looks largely colorless due to the lighting on the set. Later, when he is recuperating in the medical center, a look at the tank in the background reveals a deep red hue.

So I would assume that constitutes as G-Level canon.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

Well, according to the "Behind the Scenes" tab:

So I would assume that constitutes as G-Level canon.

Sounds like a retcon to me. But when I get home I'll re-watch the scene on my ESB DVD and see.

If this IS the case, it would be interesting to see if it's been that way all along or just in the 2004 edition. The first time I ever heard of Bacta being red was in an EU novel. And I've never seen a game with red bacta (unless you count the bacta tanks flashing red every so often in JK2 MP to be it, but then all health related stuff was keyed to red (the bacta juice was always light blue), like shields were keyed to green).

• 2 weeks later...

This guy's question was rpolly answered, but if so I'm going to re0answer i because I didn't bother to read the whole thread :D

I think kolto is bacta, because if you go into the kolto packing room on Manaan and ask for some kolto, the Selkath says "If you want a personal use package, go to the store". And the only ehaling "single-use" package is a bacta pack, 40 credits. And since kolto is the only healing substance, according to them, what do you think bacta is made out of?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
KOTOR took place about 3000 years before the battle of yavin it must have gone extinct by now so i think BACTA is better

kushan10, try not to revive such old threads, this one for instance is over a year old, the topic is over and done with.

I would like to add, however, that seeing as Kolto occurs naturally on Manaan, then Bacta is a probably by-product or perhaps a refined version of the seemingly raw material Kolto.

Or maybe at some point during the 3,000 years they just decided to change the name...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived