Home

Laptop Deals?

Boba Rhett

Hey guys/gals. Has anyone seen any great deals going on anywhere for laptops? I noticed Dell has (had?) a 30% off deal going on right now. Any other deals?

I'd like a gig of ram and a 256mb geforce if possible but I'll of course also look at ones with specs inferior to these. ;)

I'd really like to have one with integrated wireless networking. Plus those look to be a little high. Thanks for the suggestion though. I haven't really explored the lesser known custom companies yet. Perhaps I should delve deeper with them.

I'm kind of eyeing a Gateway 7510GX. They're on sale right now for $1250 as well. The only worries I have are with the ATI Mobility RADEON X600 128mb being too dated and the hdd speed is only 4200rpm.

I congifured a Dell Inspiron with similair features but with a Centrino at 1.76ghz and a 256mb geforce 6800 and it was around 1550 with their current rebate offers.

It depends on your budget. I'd actually go with Sith's link. I configured a kickass laptop system for a pretty good price. I'm thinking of getting a desktop from them.

Also, I'd advise against Toshiba. I've had to deal with some f'ed up customer service about my sister's laptop.

I love my laptop, but theyre just so damn expensive compared to their desktop equivalents. Plus, with a deskie, you can have a decent go at a pull apart and upgrade. This is out of the question with a laptop...

It all really depends on what you need it for. If you are on the go for work etc, you can just get a good 'work' machine quite cheaply that'll suit your purposes fine. If you want all the bells and whistles, they end up costing more and being moreso a "portable desktop" than a notebook, plus they are a bit heavier....

Ive heard good and bad things about all brands. The only thing I will definitely recommend is you get an EXTENDED WARRANTY....have I emphasised that enough ?? Ive had my laptop for 2 years and if I didnt have an extended warranty, Id have payed more than half of its original worth to get it fixed.

I have a Toshiba Satellitte 5200 myself, its on a business lease + extended warranty, and I have to report execellent support, though it seems Phreaks sister hasnt had the same fortune :( Im nearly at the end of the lease rotation, so time to upgrade... havent actually decided if Im still gonna stick with a laptop or go for a desktop...it'll mainly come down to cost at the end of the day...I really want to go travelling next year and that takes preference.

mtfbwya

A guy I work with just bought a Gateway Media Center PC. He loves it, says it's really great. Gateway is getting better than they were a couple of years ago.

Dell support has been in a free-fall decline since I bought my PC in 2000. They got too big too fast, and their support has yet to catch up (and I doubt it ever will.)

I've seen a couple of folks with top-o'-th'-line HP's or Compaq's, and they are, I must say, pretty-damn-effin-sweet! The screens are awesome (even better than the Apple Powerbooks in my opinion,) and on some of them you can listen to music or watch a DVD without booting the OS!

If you are looking for bedrock-stable reliability however, drop the extra cash and get a Think Pad.

Never, ever get a gateway.

If you were gonna go with a mainstream brand I'd go with Dell since they're atleast kind about royally ****ing you in the ass.

I don't know about Dell being kind. A friend of mine has a Dell Labtop. Granted, the labtop itself is perfectly fine. I think she bought it about a year ago.

Anyway, she had a problem with her power cord. The damn thing melted. Yes, the box actually melted. The cord was only a few month old because she already had to have a replacement one sent to her.

So she called Dell and was put on hold. After about 10 mins waiting, someone pick up the phone, laughed, and then put her back on hold. She waited another 45 mins. Just a siting on hold, waiting. At midnight, a machine picked up and said something to the affect of "We are sorry but our customer support centre is now clossed. Please call back during normal bussiness hours."

I can't say if the others are better or not.

Oh, I almost forgot. Exen though the labtop was still under warrenty, they wanted her to pay $70 for a new power cord. I think she got the first replacement free, though.

Hope thats relevent.

....and on some of them you can listen to music or watch a DVD without booting the OS!

heh. mine does that, even has a remote control for it. Its pretty handy when you are out of town, shacked up in a hotel somewhere and have run out of money for lewd women :(

mtfbwya

Archived