Home

Static in my phone lines?!

lukeskywalker1

Well, guys, I got a little tech problem. I keep getting kicked offline, or sometimes I am unable to connect at all. This is all random though, late at night (its 10:34 PM right now) its all good. During the day... not so good. I managed to get online around 11 and my connection speed was like... 2.5 KB/sec (i am on dial up) normally I get 4+ kb/sec... I know Dial up sucks, but its all I can afford.

Ok, Its not my modem. How do I know? I grabbed a totally different computer with two modems in it. I couldn't connect the first time, so I tried the 2nd modem. Seemed to work fine. I disconnected and couldn't reconnect. Now I am back on my normal machine (which has served me well for almost about 1 1/2 years)

I am noticing a lot of static on my phone lines. Its gets stranger, I couldn't connect today around 7:30, and kept trying till around 8:30. I restarted, cut off/on reconnected, disconnected.... tweaked settings, etc. It can't be my modem. It works sometimes (like right now, fast [for dial up] and reliable) After being really frustrated I go downstairs, and tell my mom. About 10 minutes later we look at our phone and light was lit saying the line was busy. I knew my internet was off. I picked up the phone there was a busy singal... and lots of static. I completly unhooked my internet (pulled the plug from the phone jack, and cut off my PC)

The static continued.. untill now. This has been happening since Sunday.. randomly working... sometimes its perfect sometimes my line is barley hanging onto a connection. I've called costomer support but... once again.. hissing poping.. and more static. We have been testing our phone lines by unhooking and rehooking phones, answering machines.. etc.

Im wondering this is outside interference (maybe you guys can clear this up) We just had new neighbors move in. I notice they are always at home on Sunday. I get a call two weeks ago.. on a Sunday and the call was breaking up (more than usual interference... ) There was lots of static. Recently a woman has been home ALL week.. coincidentally the same week we are having phone trouble.

There have been storms latley, so its possible lightning could have struck the phone lines, but... I think the phone would just simply be dead rather than ok at 10:00 at night vs. dead at 12:00 PM. Right? I mean, if lightning fries something... its fried. My modem wouldn't work at all. So it can't be that.

Im wondering if they are using some kind of device interfering with the lines, and they have cut it off now to sleep. And thats why we randomly get interference. Im half way wondering if its the Satelite dish (the signals could possibly create a magnetic distortion screwing up our lines?)

I don't know whats wrong, but I do know the phone company will charge several hundred dollars just to look at our phone lines. And you know how much that would suck if our phone lines are operating just fine? Its a waste of money. Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, can't be fried modem.

I think you should wait it out, maybe ask your (old) neighbors if they are having problems as well. See below for why old is in parentheses

-OR-

Maybe your new neighbors are really aliens who are using your phone signals to coordinate a massive strike! :eek:

I suppose it's important that we know how your phone lines are wired...do the wires from your phone pass through your neighbors house? Because if not, the only real way they could interfere with your signal would be some really powerful magnets...like...industrial strength... which I doubt they're using.

I honestly know not what to tell you.

Do you perchance have a cordless phone?

If so, unplug it from the wall for about 30 seconds (same thing with your modem cable). If that doesn't clear it up, and your phone has the option, cycle through it's channels... Alot of times during electrical storms, your cordless will randomly start to switch channels to find better reception (wether it's off or on the hook).

Also, alot of phone companies can check for line noise "over the lines" while you wait rather than having to send a physical person to the site. Takes a matter of seconds and should be free of charge..(I'd ask them first). Just call up a Rep and tell them your problem :)

You can also look into noise-reducing or shielded phone cords made specifically for modems. The cable is extra thick and should shield against magnetic interference. Be aware though, a 10' cord can cost a bit of money (relative to normal phone cords that is)... but it's worth the loot and can sometimes up your kbs speeds ;)

Could either be a busted line (a strand of wire shorted cutting signal strength) or your reciever is busted.

I don't know, sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it does at half the speed, but right now perfectly fine (between 4-5KB/sec... thats good for dial up and normal for me)

If so, unplug it from the wall for about 30 seconds (same thing with your modem cable). If that doesn't clear it up, and your phone has the option, cycle through it's channels... Alot of times during electrical storms, your cordless will randomly start to switch channels to find better reception (wether it's off or on the hook).

Yeah, we have 2 cordless phones. We have unhooked them for several minutes at a time, doesn't work.

I suppose it's important that we know how your phone lines are wired...do the wires from your phone pass through your neighbors house? Because if not, the only real way they could interfere with your signal would be some really powerful magnets...like...industrial strength... which I doubt they're using.

Im not sure, but our houses are right next to each other, while the (old) neighbors are off down the street a bit further.

(5 mins later) took a walk outside and looked at the lines, a few wires go from our house to the telephone line pole, which start heading down the street to the next one. At the next one (next to the neighbors house) then line goes to their house. Our houses are very close (maybe 20 ft away from each other.

You can also look into noise-reducing or shielded phone cords made specifically for modems. The cable is extra thick and should shield against magnetic interference. Be aware though, a 10' cord can cost a bit of money (relative to normal phone cords that is)... but it's worth the loot and can sometimes up your kbs speeds

I think I have one of those, but I switched it when this problem started.

Also, alot of phone companies can check for line noise "over the lines" while you wait rather than having to send a physical person to the site. Takes a matter of seconds and should be free of charge..(I'd ask them first). Just call up a Rep and tell them your problem

Thats good information :D But Im wondering, if they check now they will find that my line is clear (no noise) but if they check in a few hours they will probably find lots of static. How can they tell if my lines are ok, or if its some kind of interference?

Thats good information :D But Im wondering, if they check now they will find that my line is clear (no noise) but if they check in a few hours they will probably find lots of static. How can they tell if my lines are ok, or if its some kind of interference?

It's similiar to a network 'ping'... but the intricacies are probably more of a "trade secret" amongst the phone people.

Whenever I've had it done it in the past, I was a bit bewildered and shocked on exactly all the tiny details they could give me about the lines... :eek: makes me wonder what else they know about us that we're not aware of...

It's worth a shot to say the least.. who knows, the 'bullet signal' they send out may be enough to clear the lines itself... if not, they'll at least know there's a problem in their network and hopefully go about fixing it. :)

Archived