Home

Computer question...

BongoBob

My cousin wants to upgrade her harddrive, but the problem is, she lost her XP disk that came with her comp(eMachines). She was wondering if it's possible to transfer xp directly to the new harddrive from her old one.

If this is possible talk of piracy, I don't wanna get banned, just pm me that it's piracy and I'll delete the thread.

If she wishes to purchase a program such as Norton Ghost, then the install could be copied from one disk to the other, without changing a single thing....

The contents are transferred from one disc to the other, it isn't a reinstall.

Although it will mean that the partition size remains the same, then another program such as Partition Magic is needed to resize the partition so it can be the same size as the physical disk (Or a new partition could be created instead)

Imaging the drive will work in most circumstances where the hard drive is made by the same manufacturer and has a similar design, but your mileage may vary - if the hard drives use incompatible drivers then you might not be able to boot.

You could always give it a shot before you format your old drive. Just google for information on imaging hard drives.

The easiest solution, though, would be to just add the second drive to your first system and use it as storage for whatever's convenient. I used mine for all my media before I formatted my system, for instance.

No special info. There should be two IDE slots (and cable if you are lucky) on the motherboard next to each other. Each slot (and it's cable) should be able to take two drives. these can be hard drives, dvd drives, cd drives or any other sort of ide drive.

You will probably want both drives on seperate cables for extra speed. You might need to set the jumper on the back of the new drive, but the instructions should tell you how to do that. Then it should simply be a case of plugging it into the cable, screwing it into the case, booting up and it should show up as D:

Archived