Home

omg, the graphic =[

yellowblood

I don't have a payment count for FilePlanet. But a quick look at the System Requirements shows that even GTA San Andreas had better graphic.

I hope that I'm wrong and the game does look beautiful, but how far can you go with a game that supports GeForce MX 4 ? I mean come on, we don't buy new video-cards to play games with old engines!

So - what do YOU think about the graphic issue of Battlefront 2?

(And if there's any beta-owner here, please give some gameplay screenshots)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...a quick look at the System Requirements shows that even GTA San Andreas had better graphic...

You <b>cannot</b> determine how the graphics look by the system requirements. You never know if the min specs to play the game are set with all options on extreme low and the screen resolution at 320x200.

Also, the developers could have come up with a new algorithm to process graphics much more efficiently. Well, we know that this is not the case with SWBF2, but it could be for some other game, some other day.

SWBF2 from the screenshots and videos I've seen so far looks like it is unchanged from SWBF1. Now before some people start ranting, most game sequels use the same engine as their predecessor. It saves time and money and makes logical sense. Designing a new engine these days takes many years or a big initial investment (10,000$ for a liscensed engine? I could be off by a decimal point...).

Using the same engine as another game does not mean they will be close like expansion packs. Do all the games that use the Quake3 engine look and play the same? Do all the Unreal Tech games feel like "expansion packs" of each other? And yes, system reqs mean nothing in terms of game quality or graphics quality. Many games simply require the processing power to calculate everything, that doesn't mean their visuals are anymore aesthetically pleasing than some other game with lower system reqs.

Overall in this case though, it looks like this will be the same game as SWBF but with some expanded features. They're advertising it as "the game we wanted to give you with the first SWBF." They feel like they let people down the first time around and now this will be their definitive vision.

They'll take the Republic faction and replace the models with the ROTS versions. They'll add some more vehicles. They'll add mostly Episode III based maps. They may tweak the Seperatist Faction a bit to match ROTS. Then they'll add the "space" maps and some more space vehicles since that's what you'll need them for.

Then they'll expand on the Jedi by giving them Force powers and the ability to play as them, and integrate them into the campaigns as reward bonuses.

So yes, they are focusing on gameplay and features this time. I haven't heard anything about them improving the graphics or adding new physics or anything of that nature.

Here's hoping they do spend some extra time on refining the online experience though. The 1.3 beta left a bad taste in a lot of player's mouths (currently of the 26 SWBF servers, only 6 are using the 1.3 beta... something about an abandoned beta that isn't well publicized makes people mad I guess).

So for folks who've already played SWBF, here's what you're basically getting:

more Episode III content

Playable Jedi

Space Battles

So yes, they are focusing on gameplay and features this time. I haven't heard anything about them improving the graphics or adding new physics or anything of that nature.

Instead of focusing on playable Jedi and space battles they should have improved what they've already made, because it doesn't cut it. They should have FIXED it... not just added on more stuff in an attempt to cover it up.

Instead of focusing on playable Jedi and space battles they should have improved what they've already made, because it doesn't cut it. They should have FIXED it... not just added on more stuff in an attempt to cover it up.

They should have fixed what they have done with patches. That's what they're for.

Improve? That's the job of an expansion.

In a sequel, people want new stuff. LA happens to have skipped the expansion part and jumped right into the new game.

Of course they have also skipped the patches, for the most part.

One could argue that that IS improving on what they already had done. The Jedi weren't made playable because they simply hadn't been finished yet. They hadn't found a good way to balance them as playable characters. You can see how "half-a$$ed" they are right now. The ship fighting likewise was heavily restricted and not much fun. So these are two elements that they are expanding upon and improving.

What would you have them focus on instead? I mean other than making the classes even more generic and splitting the pilot into different classes (medic and technician, etc). They're already doing the sort of thing everyone would ask for anyway, like more maps and vehicles to play with.

My main concerns with the game were some of the recycling they did (like the Biker Scout pistol being used as a generic pistol, or the ST Rifle being used as the Dark Trooper gun) and the missing elements (like the female rebel and the Droideka not getting any voice samples), the lack of more specific team commands and voice chat support, and the general clumsiness of the admin & server interfaces. That and the lack of other game modes, and the inability to have one army of humans vs. an army entirely consisting of bots... and the lack of the Galactic Conquest mode in Multiplayer (here in all cases I'm referring to the PC version). That and it bugged me that you couldn't bind the secondary grenade function to a key but had to switch them on the fly (an obvious leftover from the console format). The ability to display an icon or give a command to techs like "I need health" or designate people who need health/ammo on the team map would have been nice, but not necessary for the game to be playable of course.

I'm sure everyone has their own ideas of what should have been done, but those were the main sticking points for me. The patches fixed up most of the other issues (though putting 1.3 out of beta would perhaps get more people to use it).

When I mean gameplay I mean the actual combat. Because it just feels like an arcade game... just run-n-gun. Look at BF2... run-n-gun is like suicide in combat, because weapons actually require *gasp* accuracy to be the most effective! And you can only be accurate if you're not running around and jumping everywhere... in BF2 it's most effective to face off against enemies from the prone position, for example. Yet in SWBF, going prone is like suicide because the gun-runners just mow you right down with their guns that are perfectly accurate like magic.

And the animations are so lousy. I mean, what, there's like maybe three death animations? Come on... let's get some ragdoll like all the new games. And it seems that grenades just magically blast you a thousand feet in the air... physics in SWBF are just horrible. Period.

And there's plenty of other problems like the lack of a bar to show support players who needs meds, ammo, etc.

There's just too much stuff that needed to be fixed and hasn't been even addressed for SWBF2. In response they just say "oh well we got playable Jedi and space battles now!" Sorry but... that doesn't cut it. At least not with a serious gamer like me.

And there you make some valid criticisms. However, who's to say that SWBF needs to be more like a game like BF2? (a game which I confess I have not played)

Such radical changes in the game would have required I'm sure far more development time than this game has had (a year since its previous installment?). And would its similarity to BF2 not generate more accusations of copycating of the BF series? (then again, I'm betting you're saying copycating of good features is not a bad thing, and I wouldn't argue against that either).

What you're really saying is that as long as they're copying a popular series, they should go all out and go in the same direction as that series, rather than deciding on their own what their game is about or what direction to go in. I'm not saying I disagree with the merit of your ideas, but I wonder if it's really a realistic expectation. That would require an overhaul of the weapons code, perhaps the movement code, and the physics code as well as making new animations, and they'd still be expected to do the usual maps and things.

Perhaps the biggest problem with this series has been mismanagement. They've tried to crank them out too fast, and focused too much on the console market (hence the "arcadeness" which to me isn't necessarily a bad thing, I like arcade games as much as the next guy, but I know what you mean). Rushed sequels or ones with only marginal improvements are a staple of the console gaming world, after all.

I'm also a serious gamer, but the types of games I play are more along the lines of traditional FPS games like the JK and UT serieses, Q3A, etc.

And there you make some valid criticisms. However, who's to say that SWBF needs to be more like a game like BF2? (a game which I confess I have not played)

There's a free demo out for download - even has multiplayer - try it out! :)

(then again, I'm betting you're saying copycating of good features is not a bad thing, and I wouldn't argue against that either).

Yup. ;)

When I mean gameplay I mean the actual combat. Because it just feels like an arcade game... just run-n-gun. Look at BF2... run-n-gun is like suicide in combat, because weapons actually require *gasp* accuracy to be the most effective!

Yet in SWBF, going prone is like suicide because the gun-runners just mow you right down with their guns that are perfectly accurate like magic.

And the animations are so lousy. I mean, what, there's like maybe three death animations? Come on... let's get some ragdoll like all the new games.

There's just too much stuff that needed to be fixed and hasn't been even addressed for SWBF2. In response they just say "oh well we got playable Jedi and space battles now!" Sorry but... that doesn't cut it. At least not with a serious gamer like me.

I absolutely, 100% agree. I thought I was the only one who believed that the rifles were FAR too accurate! Good to see another serious gamer. This isn't just a minor issue, it actually drags down the fun of the game. It really gets old with perfect accuracy.

Then the deaths. It wouldn't be a problem if there were Rod-Doll physics, but no, the devs are too lazy for that !(or too cheap! Which one are they!?) There are literally about 2 deaths. ONLY TWO! (excluding explosions)

Play on hard. If you just run around, you get killed. The guns are not magicly accurate on the PC version. They go where you point with a slight random deveation. The weapon physics have to be different, afterall SWBF has laser bolts not bullets. Another thing, you don't want SWBF to be more like BF2. That just turns it into a BF2 clone. Just play BF2 if you like it so much. Every game needs to be different, or there would be no point in playing any.

That just turns it into a BF2 clone.

...I don't see a problem with that.

And what do you mean "play on hard"? In multiplayer you can choose the skill level of the enemy players? Seriously... I thought this was SUPPOSED to be a multiplayer game... not just fighting bots by yourself. And the way people say "oh well the blasters don't create kick because they're not using bullets" is totally wrong.

Blaster weapons free clone troopers from the need to carry projectile ammunition but are notoriously hard to aim due to the inherent instability of plasma bolts

And you can even see in the movies that weapons DO create kick (like the Battle Droid blasters for example) just like real guns.

I absolutely, 100% agree. I thought I was the only one who believed that the rifles were FAR too accurate! Good to see another serious gamer. This isn't just a minor issue, it actually drags down the fun of the game. It really gets old with perfect accuracy.

well, it is the rifles of the future. You can't expect them to act like M16 can you?

Archived