Home

omg, the graphic =[

yellowblood

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird when one thinks about it. A dedicated PC Battlefront 2 would most likely be "teh win" (or at least the first person models would look better than Jedi Knight 2).

Anyway, I don't own Battlefront, I play it with a friend. Everyone wins! So there's a compromise of sorts, get someone else to pay for it.

Do I also get to say "teh win" at least once? Oh well. Good to get that out of the way!

So to get the PS2 demo you'll have to buy a magazine. To get the Xbox demo you'll have to buy a DVD. No news about a PC demo. And the only way to play the PC game in advance is to sign up for the closed beta (pay subscription to File Planet)!

I still think they should give those who paid for the beta a coupon for a discount on the full game...

Bummer, so PC users get shafted again? There was no PC demo for SWBF1, so we all have to go by word of mouth? This is akin to filmmakers not showing their film to critics before release... it makes people wonder "what are they afraid of"? Not a good sign... :(

Pandemic/LucasArts has one more chance to make up for it, release a PC Demo by the week of November 1st! Give us a space map and a ground battle map, online/offline doesn't matter (though online would be good!).

Weird when one thinks about it. A dedicated PC Battlefield 2 would most likely be "teh win" (or at least the first person models would look better than Jedi Knight 2).

Anyway, I don't own Battlefront, I play it with a friend. Everyone wins! So there's a compromise of sorts, get someone else to pay for it.

Only problem there is you each need a unique key to play with a friend on the PC. We found this out at our last LAN party... :p

I'm not sure about part 2, but SWBF1 was basically a multiplayer centered game, which is why many of us wished that it had gone through more testing before release. The SP campaign was cool but VERY short (and much of the special features were cut or scaled back from the MP campaign). You had Galactic Conquest, but it was rather repetative, unfortunately.

So to get the PS2 demo you'll have to buy a magazine. To get the Xbox demo you'll have to buy a DVD. No news about a PC demo. And the only way to play the PC game in advance is to sign up for the closed beta (pay subscription to File Planet)!

I never even thought of all that. They're even making money off the demos...

The only thing I'm mad about is that the Geforce 4 MX card don't work. Thats the one I use!! SWBF1 runs great on it, so why not SWBF2?!

If they happen to release a public demo I'll try it (because sometimes the specs aren't always right.), and if it don't work, I'll just buy the Xbox version....but no online. :(

Well, while I don't mind getting a mag for console demos, for PCs, it's unfair that they can't have a free download from fileplanet, say. A beta means you're obliged to comment on bugs and you're legally bound not to spill beans etc. Also, you pay for that anyway.

Demos are tasters, not full games with massive bugs. (No sarcasm about BF1, I'm reffering to the beta).

Kurgan, see your point about the online part. Although I feel that BF2 will have a lot more SP potential, it'll wait to be seen about online though. If decent enough, I may actually buy it for my laptop!

from a standpoint of someone who actually gets paid to make games (yes me)

I can say the look of the new star wars game is bad, the graphics are not up to par. I also love the star wars universe and most games in that universe. One thing that really bums me out is the difference between jedi academy and the star wars battle front games. the detail on jedi academy is awesome crisp textures etc. when I first got SWBF I thought this was gonna rule! but i was also dissapointed extremly, especially because I could make better player models and skin them better than these, some of the floor textures in SWBF look scaled up like 10 times. I am taking a technical standpoint in the fact that technology is available to make it look better, I would be the first to know this :D, I am not here to make anyone angry per say, but, I am in the business of game design and I can say I and my boss would be totally embarasssed if our artwork looked that fuzzy and unfinished. the new star wars battlefront uses the same stuff the old one did, thats bad! at least they could use a more robust engine, if not for the console at least for a pc version. hell I have seen mods of star wars that look way better in artwork design than this abomination. sure gameplay is important, but I am comparing this to all other star wars fps that came out recently, look at republic commando! that looks sweet, even the kotor games look awesome compared to this, I really wanted swbf to look crisper and more gritty like the movie I guess, it was fun for a while but I just don't see any fun in the game really if the animations are bland(shoot, run, die, etc.) it makes it dull after a few minutes, yeah they should have used ragdoll, hell I would have used the unreal engine which has far more power to make something like this than the horrible engine they did use. Just an artists opinion of swbf! cheers and may the force be with you!

from a standpoint of someone who actually gets paid to make games (yes me)

I can say the look of the new star wars game is bad, the graphics are not up to par. I also love the star wars universe and most games in that universe. One thing that really bums me out is the difference between jedi academy and the star wars battle front games. the detail on jedi academy is awesome crisp textures etc. when I first got SWBF I thought this was gonna rule! but i was also dissapointed extremly, especially because I could make better player models and skin them better than these, some of the floor textures in SWBF look scaled up like 10 times. I am taking a technical standpoint in the fact that technology is available to make it look better, I would be the first to know this :D, I am not here to make anyone angry per say, but, I am in the business of game design and I can say I and my boss would be totally embarasssed if our artwork looked that fuzzy and unfinished. the new star wars battlefront uses the same stuff the old one did, thats bad! at least they could use a more robust engine, if not for the console at least for a pc version. hell I have seen mods of star wars that look way better in artwork design than this abomination. sure gameplay is important, but I am comparing this to all other star wars fps that came out recently, look at republic commando! that looks sweet, even the kotor games look awesome compared to this, I really wanted swbf to look crisper and more gritty like the movie I guess, it was fun for a while but I just don't see any fun in the game really if the animations are bland(shoot, run, die, etc.) it makes it dull after a few minutes, yeah they should have used ragdoll, hell I would have used the unreal engine which has far more power to make something like this than the horrible engine they did use. Just an artists opinion of swbf! cheers and may the force be with you!

I agree with you that the models and stuff in JA look far superior to SWBF. However I've always argued (in good faith, I could be wrong of course) that the reason SWBF and games like BF1942's graphics don't seem quite as good as traditional modern FPS games is because they are forced to render so many more models on screen at once in big maps. But then people are saying that BF2 is so amazing, etc. So maybe that's a technical hurdle that's been breached, I dunno. But yeah, the plastic fuzzy look of SWBF is not quite my favorite.

Hey (and not in any way questioning the validity of your job) but what game company do you work for? Or are you an indie developer? Just curious. ;)

hehe Yeah plastic is a good word for that look :D

starting a loong time ago I did level design for ultima x (a mmorpg game that unfortuneatly EA shut down since they bought out origin and closed the project, I did about 5 mile wide levels for that game)all the screenshots at the bottom of the page under the date 2003-12-06 are from my levels here

http://www.gamershell.com/pc/ultima_x_odyssey/screenshots.html?page=3

and shots 3-8 on this page are my levels :D

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpagesscreens/918830.asp?screenid=5

it was a great project, I didn't do any characters(they looked a bit to cartoony styled for my taste, but I enjoyed every second of level design!)

moving on I did several body models and rigged them for the sims 2 game, then I did some more work on a stubbs the zombie crazy game for the xbox that was kinda sad :)) I worked for an outsourcing art studio doing art faster than the in house companies for games that needed them, right now I am doing modeling, animation, and level design for an undisclosed title, lets say its gonna kick some serious tail when its done!

I do understand the whole idea of having tons of models on screen at once in a massive online like game, the idea that they used such an outdatede engine for even the first swbf game is kinda dissapointing in my mind. with the LOD models mip maping and other technology the newer engines also have like the battlefront engine, I am still curious why they picked the old engine.

Ouch.

See, we pc gamers are spoiled. We play online games that don't have framerate caps, have actual administration abilities and remote control built in from the start, access to decent mod tools and dedicated servers that are somewhat user friendly, the ability to record demos, etc. Having one team of humans vs. one team of bots is a no-brainer. A console wherein you can enter commands to simplify certain well used tasks, etc. These are just basic features we've come to expect out of our first person shooters. Then all of a sudden SWBF comes along and it's like we're on a console that has limited memory and assumes you're using a gamepad on a TV! ;)

Are we spoiled because so many FPS games are based on solid engines like those cranked out by ID software and Epic? (Quake3 and Unreal tech in particular) Perhaps, but there you go.

So it's not just the disappointment of what this game promised but didn't deliver or the bugs in the game itself, it's also the basic standard of quality in a modern FPS game that was somewhat lacking, unfortunately.

I'm sure this was probably one of the most awesome and worthwhile games on the Xbox ever. I certainly would have thought so. But on the PC? Not a chance.

Archived