Home

Sequel?

Revan Skywalker

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, and because of that, people can relate to good characters, or build a liking to them (this can happen with bad characters as well, but its easily tarnished when the character murders an innocent or does something that reflects his evil nature). By making the characters "evil" they aren't as likable, which undermines Republic commando's coolest feature: it's characters.

"Relate" to characters? "Relate" to clone soldiers fighting giant robots with laser guns in their hands and flying bugs who hit you with sticks and fat lizards with shotguns?

You must live in one crazy world.

But I think a ruthless/murderous character is quite interesting. I mean, lots of people like researching famous dictators like Napolean, Hitler, etc.

Oh yeah and Darth Vader. Who doesn't like Darth Vader? But he did go on a murderous rampage!

Relation has nothing to do with realities - you can relate to anything and anybody. You can relate to a tree but doesn’t mean you’re made of wood.

There’s also no proof that genetics does, or could play a role in personality traits. Instincts - obviously, but instincts only have so much weight as demonstrated by the taming of extremely dangerous creatures, or in some cases of those same creatures being naturally docile, especially when raised from infancy with care.

The opposite can also be demonstrated when raising a normally docile creature with brutal tactics.

I don’t think it would be too much of stretch to assume that one of the prime instincts of most clones is loyalty - which seems plausible. Since most clones are given no independence they never develop personality traits to counter this. This is the way they are raised, this is the way it is. Almost a brainwashed obidence to the leaders of the Republic - of which their is currently only one.

However some clones, including commandos, have been given increased independence to develop unique personalities even more so then the clone commanders we see in the film - the personality of the clone commanders in the film is only a slight variance on the regular trooper (although it's my personal beliefe that the casual manor in which they accept and invoke Order 66 is unrealistic).

But commandos are on the other end of the spectrum, some going so far to alter their voice, and probably appearance. They probably still have the instinct to be loyal to their superiors but it’s going to be countered by a strong personality, especially loyalty to each other, and what they believe in, and from what we know the commandos seem like generally good guys.

Leaving Sev had nothing to do with blind obedience and everything to do with the fact that sometimes the mission does come first - in any military organization - and since Delta has been given no reason to doubt the Republic they obey orders, especially since it’s coming from Yoda - if Yoda is involved and requires something you know it’s important.

And rightly so because from what Yoda says it seems that securing Kashyyyk will require them to be on hand - if they had gone rouge and gone after Sev they could have crippled the mission.

If their loyalties or belief in the Republic was shaken I could easily see them breaking from it. Right now they believe in what the Republic is doing and stands for. Again, rightly so since the Seps are the bad guys, and have aptly demonstrated that fact.

• 4 weeks later...

First time post so bear with me,

First off, from what I've read, Clone Commandos and ARC Troopers tend to be very independent thinkers, for example Ion Team (Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader) disobeyed Order 66. It's likely that a few other units may just have disobeyed orders as well.

Second, I'd like to see more of a choice, much like KotOR. For example after finding Sev, 38 gets the Order 66 transmition, the group gives their opinions, 40 recommends following orders, Scorch cracks a nervous joke, and Sev just grunts.

It would be your choice whether to follow orders or disobey Order 66. Then you'd either get missions like: hunting Jedi's, finding Separatist survivors, help take control of Kashyyyk (ugh)...or missions like: helping Mon Mothma leave Coruscant, recon and establish a location for a new Rebel base, find plans for B-wing...whatever ties into the EU.

republic commando is EU, tons of features of the prequels came from EU as well so u cant just disregard something because its EU.

EU that conflicts directly with the movies cannot be considered canon.

Here's a couple examples:

- Darth Maul surviving

- Palpatine "coming back from the dead" (the whole clone fiasco)

Umm, aren't practically all Star Wars games considered EU?

DF, JK, JKII, KotOR 1/2, X-Wing Alliance, X-wing/Tie fighter, the Roque Squadron series, upcoming Empire at War the list goes on, you can even consider Rebellion as EU or Republic Commando.

As far as canon goes, officially only the movies, movie novelizations, radio dramas, and the occsional visual dictionaries are considered canon by Lucasarts/Lucasfilm; that's a very limited period of time to work with. As far as I know most (if not all) EU novels (including the Dark Empire series) were given the go ahead by Lucas or Lucasfilm. So I don't see why you're complaining.

You know...if you don't like it, you're free not to play.

First time post so bear with me,

First off, from what I've read, Clone Commandos and ARC Troopers tend to be very independent thinkers, for example Ion Team (Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader) disobeyed Order 66. It's likely that a few other units may just have disobeyed orders as well.

Second, I'd like to see more of a choice, much like KotOR. For example after finding Sev, 38 gets the Order 66 transmition, the group gives their opinions, 40 recommends following orders, Scorch cracks a nervous joke, and Sev just grunts.

It would be your choice whether to follow orders or disobey Order 66. Then you'd either get missions like: hunting Jedi's, finding Separatist survivors, help take control of Kashyyyk (ugh)...or missions like: helping Mon Mothma leave Coruscant, recon and establish a location for a new Rebel base, find plans for B-wing...whatever ties into the EU.

Ooooooh, now that's a cool idea.

As far as canon goes, officially only the movies, movie novelizations, radio dramas, and the occsional visual dictionaries are considered canon by Lucasarts/Lucasfilm

Don't make Kurgan come in here with the "canon chart."

As far as I know most (if not all) EU novels (including the Dark Empire series) were given the go ahead by Lucas or Lucasfilm. So I don't see why you're complaining.

So I guess the whole "Darth Maul surviving" and "Palpatine coming back from the dead" can be considered canon? Absolutely not. Those things conflict directly with the movies. Just as having "rogue commandos" as suggested for a sequel.

Don't like what?

So I guess the whole "Darth Maul surviving" and "Palpatine coming back from the dead" can be considered canon? Absolutely not. Those things conflict directly with the movies. Just as having "rogue commandos" as suggested for a sequel.

I never said they were canon, I said they were approved by Lucasfilm even if they "conflict directly with the movies"; I mentioned earlier what was considered canon by Lucas, yet that hasn't stopped him from approving other storylines which may or may not tie into the movies

I still don't understand why you have something against players wanting Delta Squad to join the rebellion (or at least have the choice).

Much like Merlin mentioned Delta seems to be undeniably loyal to the Republic (the number of times it's alluded to in the game is funny), it looks to me that Delta considers the safety of the Republic their number one priority, eliminating the Jedi would seem to only weaken the Republic, especially considering they've been the front line leaders during the Clone Wars. Even if they follow Order 66 in the beginning (because "it's in their genes"), the dissolution of the Republic and the creation of the Empire should at least make them think twice about where their loyalties belong, considering they've been "created for the sole purpose of serving the Republic".

On a personal level, I don't think I'd enjoy a game where I'm hunting Jedi's or anti-empirial forces; I've played Kotor1/2 over 3 times each, everytime it was the same, I couldn't bring myself to becoming a Sith, the same for JK (for some reason it was different in Tie fighter).

Don't like what?

A game where Delta goes Rebel (if it ever turns out that way).

I never said they were canon, I said they were approved by Lucasfilm even if they "conflict directly with the movies"; I mentioned earlier what was considered canon by Lucas, yet that hasn't stopped him from approving other storylines which may or may not tie into the movies

Ah, my bad.

I still don't understand why you have something against players wanting Delta Squad to join the rebellion (or at least have the choice).

Because it goes against the established storyline, as well as the movies.

On a personal level, I don't think I'd enjoy a game where I'm hunting Jedi's or anti-empirial forces; I've played Kotor1/2 over 3 times each, everytime it was the same, I couldn't bring myself to becoming a Sith, the same for JK (for some reason it was different in Tie fighter).

What's the difference if you're killing the "good guys" or not? In Republic Commando you're fighting for Palpatine against people who are trying to take him out of power. You're a bad guy, even if you're fighting bad guys as well. This idea that people will only play a game if you're the great hero fighting against the forces of evil is really lousy. Suck it up and be a bad guy!

A game where Delta goes Rebel (if it ever turns out that way).

It would never turn out that way. What with the whole Republic Commando game for cell phones where you hunt down Jedi and all.

Honestly I don't see a problem with making a game that conflicts with canon as long as it's good. We've been able to play as the "bad guys" for real (rather than just bad guy skins in some random way) in only a few games, but most of them have been awesome (TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight).

Umm, aren't practically all Star Wars games considered EU?

DF, JK, JKII, KotOR 1/2, X-Wing Alliance, X-wing/Tie fighter, the Roque Squadron series, upcoming Empire at War the list goes on, you can even consider Rebellion as EU or Republic Commando.

As far as canon goes, officially only the movies, movie novelizations, radio dramas, and the occsional visual dictionaries are considered canon by Lucasarts/Lucasfilm; that's a very limited period of time to work with. As far as I know most (if not all) EU novels (including the Dark Empire series) were given the go ahead by Lucas or Lucasfilm. So I don't see why you're complaining.

Technically that's not how it works. There's levels of canon. All officially liscensed Star Wars materials not labelled "Infinities" (or the first 21 issues of Star Wars Tales) is canon. Even if parts of the source get thrown out or retconned by later sources, for the most part it's retained. The movies are the absolute highest level of canon, and the most recent versions which represent "how Lucas views the films today" (ie: the 2004 versions trump any previous versions, and if he makes another new version that will trump the current editions). The novelisations, screenplays and radio dramas are also spinning out of those original stories, and expand the story where they don't conflict. That's the "G-Level canon" (ie: George Lucas canon, his own stories). Everything else beyond that is C-Level canon (continuity canon). The term "EU" is somewhat confusing, because technically it applies to EVERYTHING that's not in the movies themselves that George Lucas didn't write himself. He approves everything that gets liscensed obviously, but basically EU stuff is C-Level for the most part.

You can't count a lot of the stuff in games as canon, ie: player actions and game mechanics that were done for balance or challenge. Obviously you can't consider that game of FFA you played with your buddies as somehow fitting into continuity. But basically single player storylines for games are just as legit as any EU comic or novel. It's when it conflicts with a "higher" source that there's a problem.

Leeland "Tasty Tastee" Chee is in charge of the Holocron, a Lucas sanctioned database that works out continuity issues. Of course Lucas himself is always free to contradict stuff and force everyone to catch up.

So yes, there are outright mistakes in some sources, you just ignore those, but everything salvagable stays. So stuff from the Holiday Special even fits in there someplace, so I'm told. ;)

I mean good gameplay. Gameplay is king. I could care less if it "really happened" in Star Wars.

I mean let's face it, there's been a lot of Star Wars games made that couldn't possibly have happened in continuity. Some were bad, others less so. But unless you're TK-8525, continuity isn't the #1 factor in whether or not a game is "good." ;)

I'm teasing but also a bit serious!

As for the canon thing (go ahead, somebody post the "Canon Cannon" graphic, I dare ya!), as long as people make posts clearly demonstrating their confusion, I'll be happy to explain it... ;)

I mean that continuity and respect for Star Wars are factors that influence if a game is "good" or not. If the developers of a Star Wars game do something to cater specifically to fanboys, such as having "rogue commandos," that disrespects the established canon, it's not a good game. The developers would be relying on fanboys to buy, buy, buy rather than producing a decent storyline.

Even if it's the best gameplay ever, if a Republic Commando sequel went in the wrong direction such as having "rogue commandos," I would boycott. It's a clear money-grab and shows no effort to stay respectful to Star Wars.

Archived