Home

Fire, slash... slash, fire!

Cygnus Q'ol

And that means lightsaber blaster bolt deflection + blaster how?

i was just proving my point that you can fight with a melee weapon in one hand and a blaster in the other. Unless i am greatly mistaken, i am sure that lightsabers are classifed indirectly into the melee group.

and vlad, would you please stop the 'penalties' crap?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i was just proving my point that you can fight with a melee weapon in one hand and a blaster in the other. Unless i am greatly mistaken, i am sure that lightsabers are classifed indirectly into the melee group.

Be careful here. You're forgetting the main reason why people actually want this: deflecting blaster bolts while shooting with a blaster.

Very different from just holding a sword in one hand in case of emergency.

I could see holding a melee weapon as a backup, in which case you'd be fighting with only 1 system at a time, not both melee and ranged at the same time. My long post applied specifically to using a ranged weapon in one hand while at the same time deflecting blaster fire with a lightsaber in the other hand. Now, I could imagine throwing a lightsaber, and squeezing off a few rounds while you waited for the saber to return, but that's still using one system at a time, not both at the exact same time.

And on a tangent, I could suddenly imagine a Jolee story involving a young and foolish apprentice who throws a lightsaber, shoots a couple of rounds with a blaster, and doesn't quite get out of the way of the returning LS....

"Here we were on Coruscant, and I get saddled with training this green apprentice some lightsaber skills. He grew up on T'lon where they all cut their teeth on blasters, and he thinks his souped-up Baragwin disruptor pistol is the greatest thing since sliced tookie worms. Of course, he thinks he knows everything about his new lightsaber, too, but does he listen to me telling him to always watch for the returning saber? Well, we end up over in the Eloni cantina--great food, better Juma juice, they need a new Bith accordian player--and we walk in on just the biggest cantina fight I've seen in a decade. Blaster bolts flying, people getting tossed over tables, good Juma getting wasted--good challenge for an apprentice Jedi to deal with. Well, about 4, maybe 5 Rodians see us and decide we're going to ruin their fun and they start shooting. Junior Jedi throws his saber--beautiful distance, nice arc, got about 3 of those Rodians, not bad for an apprentice. But then the blaster-brain thinks he's got enough time to shoot the other 2 with that crazy disruptor. He gets a few rounds off, and forgets about the saber for a moment. Suddenly, it's flying around crazy, and I had to duck and roll to get out of the way. He doesn't see it return til it's in his face. He ducks, but not quite fast enough, and manages to cut off the tip of his nose. That crotchety Vrook chewed me out for letting that happen. Actually, I think it improved that apprentice's appearance. What were we talking about again?"

;)

Did anyone notice that Bendak Starkiller can use both vibroblade and blaster. He didn't use them at the same tine offcourse, but he can. I think it will be cool to have ability to use blaster and melee/lightsaber.

offcourse you didnt use them at the same time. Imagine you are jedi consular/sentinel who didn't have force jump. your force are depleted so you cant use saber throw and you are running out of grenades. lots of enemies 10m ahead. you shoot them with your cassus fett's pistol. when they getting closer you slashed them with your lightsaber. you can do those things without have to go to the equip screen and change weapons. Yeah, I know, Kotor2 have "switch weapon config" feature. but if different than using blaster and melee/lighsaber at the same time. different animation, different fun, different gore, etc.

oh, and i want blood and dismemberment on kotor like on JK2/JK3. Imagine your opponent have 40 VP, when his VP goes to 10 or lower, you cut his arms or legs and final blows to the head. hehehehehehahahahha (Darth Sidious laugh when fighting with Yoda and throw his saber).

Grief, how did this topic get to three pages?

Gotta say, using a Lightsabre in one hand and a Blaster in the other is a terrible idea.

Lucas has already said that Jedi use Lightsabre's (unless they don't have access to one) because they are terrific in close-range combat and can also protect the Jedi in ranged combat.

Apparently, the whole point of forcing the Jedi to fight hand-to-hand is that they must really look at and see the person they are trying to kill, so that it doesn't become easy or impersonal.

Gotta say, using a Lightsabre in one hand and a Blaster in the other is a terrible idea.

Bloody hell, we agree! Take a picture :D

Apparently, the whole point of forcing the Jedi to fight hand-to-hand is that they must really look at and see the person they are trying to kill, so that it doesn't become easy or impersonal.

I think that you're on to something here. It could be part of the concept of sophisticated warriors and honor. We know Obi-Wan would never take a blaster and fight with it unless necessary.

There's honor in battle and facing your opponent in melee is a great test of strength.

@Mono_Giganto: Bendak did use both vibroblade and pistol. I know because I often loading my savegame to have re-match with bendak over 40 times or more because I think the duel ring with bendak is the coolest encounter on Kotor (not because I lose, well, maybe for the first 5 encounters). Your argument that Bendak switching weapon is also true though, yes he shoot us when we far and switch to vibroblade when we closer. But if you choose run & guerilla tactic when fighting him (running around so that he can't grenade or shoot you), sometimes he will keep the vibroblade on his hand and extract his blaster and shoot you while still holding the blade. the way he's holding the blaster when shooting is crossing-hands, "sniper shoot" stance, but the difference is he stil holding the blade. Try it yourself. I hope I can provide you with a pic sometimes later. No... my eyes are clear, not false, and I've seen it countless times.

Sorry for little off-topic here. Back on-topic: while I agree to have the ability to hold ranged and melee/saber at the same time, I didn't agree if we can deflect blaster bolt while shooting (at the same time). that's just stupid. even when you are holding a single or dual lightsaber, you can't deflect blaster bolt when slashing an enemy while getting blaster shot from another enemies from around you.

sometimes he will keep the vibroblade on his hand and extract his blaster and shoot you while still holding the blade. the way he's holding the blaster when shooting is crossing-hands, "sniper shoot" stance, but the difference is he stil holding the blade. Try it yourself. I hope I can provide you with a pic sometimes later. No... my eyes are clear, not false, and I've seen it countless times.

That's called a bug ;)

I've done it 18 times and I have no idea what you're talking about.

That's called a bug ;)

I've done it 18 times and I have no idea what you're talking about.

It doesn't matter. It is so irrelevant to the original post.

The idea was to see if people thought it was feasible to wield a saber in the off hand to deflect blasters, then shoot with a ranged weapon.

True sabarists, of course, would think "How silly" and "what's the pupose?"

Others would say, "fine, let's try it. It's just a game".

I guess it's up to the development team, but, from what I'm hearing, I doubt this option will be utilized.

...at least in this (next) game.

@Mono_Giganto: Bendak did use both vibroblade and pistol. I know because I often loading my savegame to have re-match with bendak over 40 times or more because I think the duel ring with bendak is the coolest encounter on Kotor (not because I lose, well, maybe for the first 5 encounters). Your argument that Bendak switching weapon is also true though, yes he shoot us when we far and switch to vibroblade when we closer. But if you choose run & guerilla tactic when fighting him (running around so that he can't grenade or shoot you), sometimes he will keep the vibroblade on his hand and extract his blaster and shoot you while still holding the blade. the way he's holding the blaster when shooting is crossing-hands, "sniper shoot" stance, but the difference is he stil holding the blade. Try it yourself. I hope I can provide you with a pic sometimes later. No... my eyes are clear, not false, and I've seen it countless times.

Oh, believe me, I have tried, and I am aware of the game's capabilities, and if at any point he had one of each in his hand, it was definitely a bug.

And heh, I'm no honorable saberist or anything. Anyone who has known me at HL for more than 5 seconds knows I like using blasters. I just don't like the balance issue that will take place utilizing both weapons at once, a balance issue which will not be fixed by penalties.

Archived